Old February 28, 2003, 01:48   #1
deadboy
Settler

Local Time: 20:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Question about new colonies
ok I got Moo3 and I love it and even though I have not played it to long yet I think that I got the basics down but I can't seem to figure out one thing. When I colonize a new planet the population grows until it says that I have a new colony then right after that it starts to drop very fast and within 10 or so turns I have no colony. I don't know what I am doing wrong I have tried colonizing around 5 planets and they have all died. My home planets pop is growing very fast and doing very good. I even populated a planet with 8000 darlocks on it (for some reason I didn't need to take them over as they were just there not doing anything) and 5 turns after I got a fully running colony there were only 4000 left. I am playing the slictoids (I don't think that’s the right spelling) in a small cluster map on easy (my first game I start off easy) any Ideas as to what I could be doing wrong?
deadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2003, 02:09   #2
JonahFalcon
Prince

Sounds like you keep colonizing yellow and red planets.
JonahFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2003, 02:14   #3
Vince278
King

That sounds right. I wish we could see the "green, yellow, red" without having to highlight/select the planet.
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2003, 02:57   #4
deadboy
Settler

oh I though that you could colonize a red or yellow planet and it would just be less productive than a green planet. it is just that there are almost no green planets there all red 2 with a few yellow 2 planets here and there.
deadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2003, 03:20   #5
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Thats because you're playing as the sillicoids. Try playing with some lizards to get lots of green planets.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2003, 03:24   #6
JonahFalcon
Prince

You can almost predict which planets will be good for your race just by looking at them.

If you play Humans, for example, look for planets that LOOK like Earth - most of them will be Green, though those without any cloud cover at all could be Yellow.

Plus, the Planets tab is there for a reason.
JonahFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2003, 04:27   #7
nicesky
Settler

How about starvation? If you're the silicons you eat MINERALS but the Darlok need real food. So built a food DEA on your home planet just to feed magnate planets.

You can actually see what you're people died of in the planetary screen population I thought..
nicesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2003, 04:34   #8
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Yes, its the "Demographics" tab in the centre bottom of the planet screen. Also good for finding out the cause of unrest.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2003, 04:40   #9
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:34
Quote:
Originally posted by deadboy
oh I though that you could colonize a red or yellow planet and it would just be less productive than a green planet. it is just that there are almost no green planets there all red 2 with a few yellow 2 planets here and there.
You can, but you need to create shelter or dome. I forget what it is called, as I have not made any yet.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2003, 13:06   #10
Crostoneman
Chieftain

You need to build outposts for those red and yellow planets. Unlike a colony, they only carry military personals in biodomes to keep track of other empires on the frontier.
Crostoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2003, 23:28   #11
canamrock
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:34
Biodomes. The trick is that you can colonize Sweet Spot, Green 1, Green 2, and Yellow 1 planets without biodomes. Yellow 2 and Red planets will require that you have the Biodome technology (acquired fairly early), and usually also a net excess of food empire-wide to supply the growing colony.

Try to build an industry, two bioharvest, two mining, and a gov't DEA for each colony... this helps your mid-level development. Scrap them later if you prefer a purely capitalist production system.
canamrock is offline   Reply With Quote