Old February 27, 2003, 14:47   #1
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 16:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Bugs in MoO3 - Post here
This was going to get started sometime, so I figured I would start it off.

If you encounter a bug, or what you think to be a bug, post it here. Thanks.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
GodKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2003, 15:24   #2
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 20:34
I’ve played a single game to turn 130 (!!!). Overall I am impressed. But, there are a few bugs I’ve found. It is possible these aren’t bugs but are…er…’user error’ (as my company’s IT folks diplomatically say):

1. Game Crash: I get a Direct X error that crashes the game. I even held my nose and installed their Direct X 8.1B (??) over my XP drivers (I checked first – I had 8.1, no ‘B’). So far it’s crashed a half dozen times. Luckily there are auto saves each turn.

2. Unable to get to the Galaxy Map or other Detail Summaries: If a Detail Level Summary is up (for instance, when in the Planets tab, clicked on a planet and getting the summaries, then to the ‘secondary’ expansion for details) and then I navigate somewhere else then I CAN’T go to the Galactic Map, or open other Detail Summaries. This is very irritating since I can’t find and close the open Detail Summary since I frequently will have no idea what Detail Summary is open! The only cure it so hit Next Turn, which clears it.
Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2003, 15:28   #3
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 15:34
directx is up to 9.0 now, have you tried that? http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/

you're from Winfield Hydro? I'm from Geln Ellyn
H Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2003, 15:34   #4
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Hitting - or escape exits out of menus and onto the galatic map. Also, hitting G is the hotkey for exiting all menus to go to the galatic map. The thing with the planet screen is you open that menu, then go to select a planet. So you then have to exit out of that planets screen, then the Planets menu. Its like peeling an onion, then putting it back together, one slightly annoying part. But since i've found those hotkeys its become a minor issue.

Edit: And by - I mean minus, not dash.
Old February 27, 2003, 17:13   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:34
I can't seem to find a 'Return' key in the diplomatic window.

Kind of annoying when you go to diplomacy from the SitRep and then can't get back to the SitRep screen with the mouse.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2003, 17:58   #6
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

HT - yes! Howdy neighbor! I'll upgrade to 9.0 - thanks for the link. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

CV - I've learned to love the 'G' key. But, that is what won't work when (as you said) the onion is fully peeled. The problem is that it sometimes hitting 'G' won't close all those open layers and I'm stuck trying to find what I left open. Often it is too irritating and I just End Turn, which does the trick.
Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2003, 18:20   #7
Sunstone
Civilization III Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:34
One Bug I´ve noticed:
The Pop-Up-Help is active in the beginning and some time later, don´t know exactly when it happens, it just doesn´t show up any more. Repeated this bug in 3 games. Tried all "pop-up-speed-settings".
Does this happen to you to ?

2nd:
A bug ? The Encyclopedia is missing a LOT, esp. the Planet-Specials, you always have to look it up in a readme .

3rd: (I got from Hydro´s nice first game post) :

Screen hangup: If you leave a Detail expansion screen open you can’t open another one, or go to the galactic map. This is annoying since I can almost never remember which detail screen I’d left open. Once hung up the only way I’ve found to free myself is the End Turn.

Last edited by Sunstone; February 27, 2003 at 18:40.
Sunstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2003, 10:05   #8
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Graphics error - When voting for Orion President, I can click on abstain, new orions, and whomever, and see the check marks, but there is no "enter" or other means of moving it forward past that point. So any other senate actions just get hung up there.

Graohics error - sometimes (about 2 out of every 5 or so) the area for voting on a resolution (yea, nea, etc.) is grayed out. You can still vote but you are clicking blind (so you better know where the buttons are supposed to be).

Error??? - when in diplomicy trying to work out an exchange, when you click the arrows to close out the list of planets and then click on a tech and add it the planet list opens up again. Also, when you click on a tech on your side and the alien side, and add one (doesn't matter which one) the other side becomes unselected and you have to re-aquire it.

It would be nice if once you close a listing (such a planets) it stayed closed for the next diplomatic contact with that species.

--Con
Old February 28, 2003, 10:42   #9
Dactyl
Warlord

There is a bug in the "Options" regarding background music. I turn it off by clicking the "minus" button until all of the bars are unhighlighted. I return to the game and all is fine, the music is off. However, the next time the line "Resolving Remaining Space Combats" appears while the game is processing between turns, the music is turned back on. Once the game gets going pretty good, that means I have to turn off the music every turn. A minor bug, but very annoying since I don't like listening to background music.
Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2003, 11:01   #10
Craig P.
Warlord

Local Time: 14:34
Odd bug... partway through a ca. five-hour session, certain keyboard shortcuts stopped responding. The ones that I noticed were the the 'G' to return to the galaxy map and the to open the SitRep. It wasn't a total lack of responsiveness, as the '+' and '-' to change levels (galaxy vs. system vs. planet) still worked and I could still rename ship designs and TFs.
Craig P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2003, 14:03   #11
WarpStorm
King

AI keeps sending colony ships to a planet I flagged to colonize. The problem appears to be that it will take 30 more turns for the first colony ship to get there. Since it isn't colonized yet, the AI keeps sending more (I've got 6 fleets going in that direction).
Old February 28, 2003, 14:51   #12
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

1) Masses of colony ships being sent a single flagged planet.
2) Masses of transport being made for no reason.
3) Masses of random ships being made for no reason.
(teehee)
4) DirectX Cannot Find Surface (play around with the mouse on the task force config page, it isn't too hard)-- cause complete game abort.
5) There is no 5.
6) Escape does not always abort to previous screen (such as on the task force flavor of the system view screen)

Feature Request:
Be able to slow down faster moving task forces so all task forces arrive at the destination at the same time.

Last edited by Epistax; February 28, 2003 at 14:58.
Epistax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2003, 14:52   #13
Prisma
Settler

I had a fight which I let the AI control.
While it was in progress I pressed 'naxt phase' and got the 'cede control?' message.
then the fight was over, but the message was still there but I coudn't press the (confirm/cancel) buttons.
I could press 'next phase' however.
It's like it was visually there, but not physically.

I wanted to create a troop transport fleet. (3 transports + other ships)
All the requirements stated at the top of the screen where fullfilled, but one of them (cant remember which one) was still red and I coudn't confirm.
Adding another ship and then removing it again helped.

I also had the bug where the AI produced 7 colony ships to colonize 1 planet (might be because I marked troop ships as obsolete and the AI didn't have anything better to do ... )

Oh, and a little 'feature request': Please note somewhere how many troops fit into one transport.
Prisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2003, 20:28   #14
Epistax
Prince

100% bug--

Open up research and lock any number of sliders. Then start a new game. The sliders are now locked although do not show the graphic for it.

Yes it's minor, but it's a pure error. bahhahaha
Old February 28, 2003, 23:14   #15
CharlesBHoff
Prince

I get than Direct X surface unavailable on the load game screen. I than going to try Direct X 9. What cause this is there than patch comeing out.
Old February 28, 2003, 23:23   #16
sprucemoose3311
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:34
I have had a problem with the shortcuts on top row of keys (esc, f1...). They do not work sometimes, and sometimes they do.

If it is system related I have:
xp pro, 1 gig p3 processor, 512 ram, 20 & 40 gig hard drives, logitech internet navigator keyboard.
Old March 1, 2003, 07:45   #17
Prisma
Settler

132/131 Capacity, but still possible to be build:
http://www.dalord.yi.org/prisma/bilder/moo3bug1.gif

(I just love how you can convert MoO3 screenshots to gifs without quality loss... )
Prisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2003, 08:23   #18
petemajor
Settler

Bug in the finance screen:

Just a few turns into the game my empire income is about 170 AU. I press the turn button, looked at the top bar and saw that all of a sudden I am running deficit of "2.5k" AU per turn.

So I go to the finance screen and military spending, research, planentry grants are all huge numbers... but my income is still about 170 AU.

Whoa, glad I caught that one or I would have been digging myself out of debt for the next million cycles!
petemajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2003, 09:08   #19
tjno2
Settler

1.1) The UI is a mess: All boxes/screens you open should have a close botton, but some don't (planet screen/star sytem and planet double-clicking and task force double-clicking). The interface should also be 100% mouse oriented, it's annoying having to press - or G to get back to galactic view. Also, there should be more undo / confirm / cancel buttons: Orion Senate while voting for president, Budget screen, Empire screens, etc..
Finally, some description boxes with long text have a scroll bar, if you use that scroll bar to go down in the description and then change to another object that doesn't require a scroll bar, the description box will show up in the position where you left the other one, meaning that sometimes the description box will appear empty or with the bottom part of the description and there's no way of going back up (unless you click again on a description with a scroll bar and go back up)

1.2) More UI: While saving a game, i can't select the gamesave i want to overwrite with the mouse and then save it. Also, the text boxes don't allow me to select all the text in the box and then overwrite it with a touch of a key, i have to delete it first.

2) If i have a TF above an enemy's / neutral planet that doesn't have any defenses, i have to order the TF to blockade it or assault it every turn. There should be an option in the task force window to attack the planet, so blockading it would be automatic. If an enemy fleet comes by or if the planet builds defenses, then the combat menu should appear.

3) I should have the option to attack the planet i want to in a solar system. I've came by the situation of having the enemy's homeworld as the 4th planet from the sun and having to conquer the 5th and 6th planet first before getting to the 4th.
EDIT: Never mind 3), i just found out that i can choose the planet to attack in the combat scheduler.

For now that's it, if i remember more stuff, i'll post it.

Last edited by tjno2; March 2, 2003 at 15:56.
tjno2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2003, 12:34   #20
Epistax
Prince

Not an error but certainly makes it unplayable--

Starting a game on a huge 3 arm galaxy, if you don't start in the Orion Senate, someone will get elected before you can get conact with anyone in it (~150 turns). To make things worse, it is currently next to impossible to actually be added into the senate. I'd suggest for that, that anyone with full alliances with say, two members of the senate, are automatically members.
Old March 1, 2003, 13:07   #21
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesBHoff
I get than Direct X surface unavailable on the load game screen. I than going to try Direct X 9. What cause this is there than patch comeing out.
has anyone else had trouble figuring out what he said?

I'll guess that he has trouble with directx when loading the, he is going to try installing directx 9 and then hope that a patch comes out.
H Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2003, 13:16   #22
Epistax
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower

has anyone else had trouble figuring out what he said?

I'll guess that he has trouble with directx when loading the, he is going to try installing directx 9 and then hope that a patch comes out.
well someone feels they are special.

He gets a direct x surface unavailable when starting the game, or possibly loading the game screen (doesn't matter), so he's now going to try DX9. He wants to know if a lot of poeple are having this problem (yes) and if there is a patch coming out. Well yes there will be a patch coming out, and the DX surface bug will probably be fixed. However there is no telling how long into the future that is.
Old March 2, 2003, 00:15   #23
Defkon
Settler

Graphics Error: In a single sitting i probably played around 100 turns, and while i was zooming out from the planet detail to the the system detail, the image of the sun, just floated away.. LOL (driffted to the bottom of the screen slowly) and was gone for good.. Zooming by clicking on where the sun should've been didn't produce any results although the - (minus) key did the job.

Thankfully i was able to save & quit safely and after a restart my sun returned.
Defkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 01:53   #24
CharlesBHoff
Prince

I have no problen getting into the main screen, it I want to load than game after getting surface unavailable error after trying to save than game, I can only load than old game after deleteing the latest save game file.
Haveing touble loading and saveing than game in any game is a major bug especial in a game like MOO 3.
Old March 2, 2003, 18:44   #25
Lotharun
Settler

Military DEA overbuilds things you might not want - marines, scouts, transports etc. Whereas you can remove a transport/scout by way of obsoleting the design you can't stop (as far as I can tell) marines, etc. from being built.

Spy insertion messages kept showing the same name for my spy even though that spy was dead long ago. Problem clear itself up.

Colony Ship in orbit over a System with no enemy present and no matter what I try and can't get the ship to colonize the target planet.

Other than to wait for a bill vote, there is no real way to see how you're doing compared to other races.

The slider bar for research is a nightnmare to adjust. One miss click and the one you were trying to edge up a percent goes to 100.
Lotharun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 19:06   #26
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 12:34
some of these things in here sound more like problems playing for the first time than bugs

problems i've ran into:

after moving through various screens real quick, the escape key stops responding. especially out of battles and read-diplomacy-received messages

directx, like every one else. only when I alt tab out and back into the game. they say this isnt supported, but come on, alt tab...

once when i clicked a link in the siterep real quick, the screen that came up (planet view i think it was) got merged ontop of the siterep. a few escapes / - key presses fixed it though.
smellymummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 19:42   #27
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I am not having the direct x problem when I use the Windows key instead Alt tab.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 11:33   #28
Felwar
Settler

Same problem mentioned above with perceived empire income suddenly skyrocketing on turn 3 or 4, while actual income remained low. Would have put me far into debt.

In ship design, I tried putting improved thrusters on a ship and it took up about 100 extra space. So I tried to switch it back and the 100 extra remained. Had to scrap the ship design to fix it, and it happened every time. Havent been able to use upgraded thrusters on any ships.

The research bar in the economics tab turns orange when the AU's put into it equal twice the capacity of the world. It shouldnt turn orange until it reaches three times the capacity. The final calculation is still correct, the color is just wrong.
Felwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 11:38   #29
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

I'm having problems with troops disappearing on planets after a draw, can't vote in the senate, AI won't attack, and the SitRep either double reports or doesn't mention some events.
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 12:06   #30
GodKing
Emperor

Couple more I encountered over the weekend:

Researched Laser Gatling Gun in two different games. But could not find it in any list to add to any of my ships. This was one of my favorite weapons in MoO2, particularly in anti fighter roles.

Colony ships going to the same planet over and over.

Had the research sliders lock up on me. Couldn’t move them. When I adjusted the slider it just popped back to the position it was in. After about 50 turns when I went back and checked for the 3rd or 4th time, it was working normally again.

Naming a ship design, when I highlighted the old name and started to type, it didn’t type over, just made a noise. I had to erase the old name first by using the Back Space then type in the new name. Not sure if this is a bug or just something that is annoying me.

About 80 turns in I had the intro movie play for no reason I could see. After realizing this was nothing new I just hit esc and was back in the game where I had left it.

In one game I had about 40 ships, all different types and sizes in reserve. I selected to do a couple of small antarian missions and they never left. For over 80 turns I had large reserves (at one point I had over 100 ships) of many different types of ships and never did a single one ever enter the antarian groups, thus I never got a single antarian group to ever leave. I ended up winning by being elected to prez but still…

--Con