View Poll Results: What is our very next research goal?
Ship Building 0 0%
Slave Labor 1 12.50%
Drama 6 75.00%
Trade 1 12.50%
Abstain 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 28, 2003, 13:07   #1
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 22:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
OFFICIAL: Our very next research goal?
As Locutus is out of town this weekend:

Quote:
Originally poted by Locutus
I will be out of town next weekend, from Friday 28/2 ~5:00 AM GMT until Sunday 2/3 ~20:00 GMT. I'll be visiting Istanbul
And I am his delegate for this term:

Quote:
Originally poted by Locutus
Delegate term 3.

I appoint Martin Gühmann as my delegate for this term. He will have all the powers that I as Minister of Diplomacy, Science and Trade have, including the power to appoint delegates.

This power only applies:
* during turnchats where I myself am absent;
* during periods of announced absense;
* during periods of unannounced absence longer than 36 hours.

If none of these situations occur, my delegate will not have any ministerial powers on the areas of my position.
I open this poll to evaluate our next research goal. As the 11th turn chat is tomorrow, this poll is open for two days from posting time of this poll. However the result as it is at the start of the turn chat is considered and not afterwards the poll was closed.

################################################## ##########

We can now research the following technologies:

Ship Building
Slave Labor
Drama
Trade

Ship Building

Gives Coracle and Nets

Gameplay discription from the Great Library:

Ships allow people to utilize ocean waterways in new and better ways. The Coracle can transport land units over shallow water, making inter-island exploration a possibility. Nets enable Cities to gather greater quantities of seafood and contribute to Growth.

In addition is to mention that this advance won't give us an advantage in the short turn, because we have neither cities with water tiles (for building Nets) nor real sea cities (for building Nets and Ships). So in the short term it is pretty useless for us, but in the long term it is needed to develope Gun Powder or Democracy, therefore sooner or later we have to develope it anyway.

Slave Labor

Gives Slave and Mines

Slavery is a troubling development in human history, violating the moral and ethical sensibilities of most people. Nevertheless, empires that choose to bolster their ranks of workers with unwilling labor have the Slaver unit. Slavers prey on foreign Cities and capture their citizens as slaves.

Mines rely on slave laborers to toil in highly dangerous work environments. They increase Production on the tiles on which they are built.

In addition to the Great Library discription is to mention that Slave Labor leads to nothing and will give us a new concept of unconventional war fare, that might be helpful in the war against the Austrians, a nice side effect would be that our cities could grow very fast with really cheap workers. However enslaving is an act of war. And results done on civs with that we are not on war a declaration of war.

Drama

Gives theaters and entertainers

Drama brought about a formalization of the oral tradition of storytelling. History plays told the story of past events and educated people about their heritage. Tragedies and comedies taught morality and reflected the social values of the culture in their themes.

In addition to the Great library it is important to know that the use of entertianers give us more control about happiness management in our cities, instead of using the sliders globally we can use entertainers to reduce the effects of conquest distress, without effecting the growth production or gold output of our other cities. That is a big advantage. With Drama and Trade we can research Philosophy that will us lead to Monarchy a more advanced government from than our current one. Drama leads only to Philosophy.

Trade

Gives:

Caravan
Bazaar
The Appian Way
Roads

Although humans have bartered and traded within communities since the beginning, the Trade Advance represents the advent of trading between other communities and even other nations.

Caravans are central to the Trade system in the game. The Bazaar is an Improvement that provides a location for merchants and consumers to gather on a regular basis.

Roads make Trade easier and faster, and The Appian Way is one of the most famous roads in history.

Researching Iron Working and Horse Riding are after researching Trade now possible in addition it allows us to reasearch Philosophy onece we discovered Drama. Philosophy is needed to research Monarchy that is a more powerful government then the current one.

Vote for Ship Building if we should research Ship Building.
Vote for Slave Labor if we should research Slave Labor.
Vote for Drama if we should research Drama.
Vote for Trade if we should research Trade.
Vote for Abstain if you have no idea what to vote.

-Martin

Last edited by Martin Gühmann; March 1, 2003 at 10:47.
Old February 28, 2003, 17:56   #2
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 20:36
Re: OFFICIAL: Our very next research goal?
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
*SNIP*
Vote for Ship Building if we should research ship building.
Vote for Slave Labor if we should research ship building.
Vote for Drama if we should research ship building.
Vote for Trade if we should research ship building.
Vote for Abstain if you have no idea what to vote.
You really like shipbuilding.... don't you?
Old February 28, 2003, 18:12   #3
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

In my opinion we should research Drama as we need the flexibility mentionned by Martin in his post, as Drama is a prerequisite for Monarchy this advance is all the more needed.
Old February 28, 2003, 18:17   #4
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 20:36
agreed... we should just concentrate on Monarchy... to get to that as a goal, we need (in priority)

1) Drama
2) Trade
3) Philosophy
4) Monarchy

We shouldn't step off the path to deviate at this point; we are rushing to Monarchy, and we should continue to do so.

Slave Labor is an important priority for me AFTER Monarchy.
Old February 28, 2003, 21:38   #5
HuangShang
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 13:36
why did we abondon slavery?
Old March 1, 2003, 10:53   #6
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Re: Re: OFFICIAL: Our very next research goal?
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBaggins
You really like shipbuilding.... don't you?
Well copy and paste, actual a minor problem in comparison to the other problem I had with this thread, much easier to fix for me alone.

I go also for Drama as we need the flexibility it gives us, on the other hand it is still some turns to Monarchy, so that we really should consider a small discussion of a break on the way to Monarchy for Slave Labor. Sure a Slaver is expensive but could be used to explore foreign territory without any problems and we could enslave some Austrian Settlers for the benefit of our nation.

-Martin