Old May 8, 2001, 15:31   #1
Cade
Settler

Local Time: 05:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Newbie - Basic info. please
Hi All,

O.k., I bought SMAC when it came out 2 years back, and SMAX about 2 months after that when I got bored of SMAC. I had a look for multiplayer at the time, but my search wasn't successful. I've played on and off since then, but only ever won on the 2nd easiest level. Looking at some messages here, I'm getting really worried....

But, I've read a few things already, and I'm gonna go away and play a bit more, remind myself the factions in SMAX etc. etc. What I really need to know is:

1.) What's this v4.0 all about? Is this new graphics and things? Any new tech? Will I need to upgrade my "Planetary Pack" to 4.0?

2.) What's the quickest way to get involved in online games? I have a 512k permanent cable connection, I'm in the UK (GMT +1), and available most evenings, and quite a lot at weekends.

3.) I've had a good search through forums, web-sites etc. and this is definately my biggest find, there is lots of action going on etc. Are there any other forums I should take a look at? I found a small group of PBEM'ers, over on the 'Gone Gold' forum (anyone know it?!?) and the ICQ list on the ac.strategy-gaming.com site. No-one much home over ther either....

So, if someone could give me the basic info. on what I need to do to get up to speed and ready to play multiplayer ASAP, please reply here, or send me an e-mail at rico@sim-racing.net

Thanks a lot! :-)

- Steve
Old May 8, 2001, 17:14   #2
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Hi Cade - welcome to the forums!

1) v4 is simply a patch - although if you have SMACX, you won't need to download this. SMACX v2 (the latest, and only, Crossfire patch) can be downloaded here

2) Online games (as in TCP/IP games) are hard to come by nowadays, but in the MP forum you should find several PBEM sections going on - you should be able to find a game there.

3) Well, this is the biggest civ/SMAC site on the Net right now, but you can also go to www.civgaming.net for the CGN website - we always have challenges/tournaments going on there, whatever your playing level.
Old May 8, 2001, 17:39   #3
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

If, as you say, you have the Planetary Pack, you don't need SMACX v2.0 either, it's included.

Grimsby I see? I don't know it, I just think it's a cool name which has lot's of scope for humourous pronunciation.
Old May 8, 2001, 18:03   #4
Cade
Settler

Hi,

Thanks Mark, the chat we had also helped a lot. :-)))

As to the P of Persia, yep, I don't really like this town either, it really is grim! LOL!

Looking forward to meeting you all online or in pbem....

My icq is 117479919 if anyone wants to chat and start some games etc..

- Steve a.k.a Cade
Old May 8, 2001, 18:14   #5
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Not a problem - one more thing though, the UK is GMT, and not GMT +1
Old May 8, 2001, 18:49   #6
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 22:13
Local Date: October 30, 2010

Even in Summer time?
Old May 8, 2001, 23:38   #7
bondetamp
Prince

Local Time: 07:13
Grimsby in the UK? I know there's a town in Norway called that. The name must be more popular than I thought.

------------------
-bondetamp
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
-H. L. Mencken
Old May 9, 2001, 04:08   #8
Cade
Settler

Yep, I think originally it was settlers from Norway or somewhere that came over and it was a bloke called Grim that started a small fishing village about 800 years ago, or something. ( Not sure on exact figures here... )

Also, with regards to GMT, it's a neverending topic. Here's my version:

I asked a Russian who's pretty well up on these things, and he said in the summer Russia is +4 GMT, in the summer it's +3. Same with CET, they are +2 GMT right now.

I'm not sure if EST and PST (Pacific?) etc. go forward and backaward at the same time as us, so although we don't think it matters +0 or +1, you don't wanna be an hour early or late to meet your online friends around the world... so for me, I'm +1 GMT right now because we're in BST, even if we are still in the GMT timezone.

So it can be rather complicated, and I'm not sure a SMAC forum is the best place for a heated discussion, but if I say I'll meet you at 7pm GMT I'll be there at 8pm my time.... alternatively, if I know you're in the UK, I'll see you there at 8pm and now complicated GMT+- ;-)

- Steve

Old May 10, 2001, 05:43   #9
cbn
Prince

Local Time: 01:43
I try to avoid the whole GMT issue. since I do all my online gaming through Apolyton I always talk in terms of "Apolyton time". Seems to work since you can post a message and see what time it is in the apolyton world.
Old May 10, 2001, 13:46   #10
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Well, I have always regarded GMT as being a time zone, rather than an actual time - probably erroneously, as usual. I can see what you mean about it being a contentious issue, though
Old May 10, 2001, 14:44   #11
theohall
Warlord

Local Time: 23:13
Local Date: October 30, 2010
In reference to Gone Gold - the PBEM group there got going full swing back around January. A few of us get turns out rapidly, while others tend to process turns at a more leisurely pace.

If you want more info post here http://members5.boardhost.com/The_Meal/ and someone will be sure to reply.

Looking for faster paced email games, feel free to email me using the link above. Currently, myself and one other Gone Golder having been playing 2 player PBEM games with 5 AI Factions and using Yahoo! Messenger to exchange turns. We've managed to crank out 50 years in one afternoon/evening on three separate occasions. Usually, we get anywhere from 3-15 years out a night depending on how things are going between family, work, and me watching the Blues Stanley Cup run.