Old February 28, 2003, 20:13   #1
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Combat, how to see what the others are
Ok, sorry about all the questions, but I figured that they could be found easier if they were not jammed into one thread.
Anyway, I did a battle controlling it as I wanted to see what it looked like and mainly I wanted to see if I could find anything out about the opponents ship. Nope, I still have no idea what they were using and why I got stomped. I do not even know what class of a ship(s) they were using, let alone what it had for components.
They sure like to keep you in the dark. Anyone know where I can see this data? Do I need some sort of a battle scanner? Help.....
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2003, 21:50   #2
KAding
Settler

Local Time: 20:39
Yes, I am also hoping I am missing something. This was truely brilliant in MoO2, the detail with which a ship was represented, system that would malfunction when damaged, not to mention exciting stuff like boardings and self-destruct.

MoO3 combat has something appealing as well, I must admit that, but still I find it a rather big step backward to consider that every TF seems to be little more then a combined number of hitpoints.
KAding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2003, 00:07   #3
Malleus
NationStates
Warlord

Local Time: 12:39
Is there any way to understand what is happening in combat? I am seriously asking this question! I don't understand which ships are which, who they are attacking, what they are doing, or if they are winning? WHAT?!?!

K

(I bought this game yesterday and already I am thinking of taking back my first game EVER. I love complexity, I love detail, and I hate fighting forever to understand this interface and make it WORK for ME.)

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.
Malleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2003, 01:46   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Kromwel
Is there any way to understand what is happening in combat? I am seriously asking this question! I don't understand which ships are which, who they are attacking, what they are doing, or if they are winning? WHAT?!?!

K

(I bought this game yesterday and already I am thinking of taking back my first game EVER. I love complexity, I love detail, and I hate fighting forever to understand this interface and make it WORK for ME.)
I have only watched one combat so far, but it was easy to see who was who and who lost as I only had one ship in the fight and they had three and I got dusted. It was a cool battle to watch. My problem is I do not know what I was up against in terms of their configuration. So I do not know what I should be doing to prevent a repeat, other than have more ships.
The interface was not a big problem for me, but the workings of things are still a bit of a mystery.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2003, 02:07   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 15:39
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1

I have only watched one combat so far, but it was easy to see who was who and who lost as I only had one ship in the fight and they had three and I got dusted. It was a cool battle to watch. My problem is I do not know what I was up against in terms of their configuration. So I do not know what I should be doing to prevent a repeat, other than have more ships.
The interface was not a big problem for me, but the workings of things are still a bit of a mystery.
The only info that I can glean, is what size ship they are using (by appearance). that combined with the info on their techs from the tech screen (minus one or two levels) and get a rough estimate on weapons used.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2003, 03:28   #6
Crostoneman
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:39
If you go to the colony screen where the hostile fleet is, if it isn't wiped out, go to the military tab and click on space forces. This will tell you what kind of ship and their role in the fleet. It won't give you what it is armed with, but it will give you an idea of what they are armed with.
Crostoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2003, 10:46   #7
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 22:39
If you understand the Symbols that is ;=)

9 Ithkul ships approaching?
arghh uhhh wait that symbol aint that?
ahh Transporters :=)
Shoot at will
Old March 1, 2003, 10:59   #8
Malleus
NationStates
Warlord

Local Time: 12:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Crostoneman
If you go to the colony screen where the hostile fleet is, if it isn't wiped out, go to the military tab and click on space forces. This will tell you what kind of ship and their role in the fleet. It won't give you what it is armed with, but it will give you an idea of what they are armed with.
LOL, is this not the most convoluted way to get information on an enemy ever seen?

K

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.
Malleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2003, 19:38   #9
vee4473
King

Local Time: 15:39
reading some of these posts, it seems like the info for various things is indeed available, but in such an obtuse and overly comlplicated way.

even if you realize that the info you were looking for is accesible by clicking this screen and then this tab on the sub screen of this menu....

gimme a break
Old March 1, 2003, 20:32   #10
Craig P.
Warlord

Local Time: 14:39
I think you need to recognize the weapons graphics to know what they're using.

You can highlight a task force and see what its mission is. That won't tell you about how the composition is arranged, but it will give you a general idea.
Craig P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2003, 20:37   #11
heretk
Settler

Local Time: 19:39
Quote:
Originally posted by vee4473
reading some of these posts, it seems like the info for various things is indeed available, but in such an obtuse and overly comlplicated way.

even if you realize that the info you were looking for is accesible by clicking this screen and then this tab on the sub screen of this menu....

gimme a break
Yes and yes again. I respect and am beginning to enjoy the lack of micromanagement in MOO3. But, I DO want to micromanage something as critically important as combat.
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Safu the thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains - the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

- Piter De Vries, twisted Mentat
heretk is offline   Reply With Quote