Old March 3, 2003, 13:13   #31
PaulNAdhe
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
When I alt tab out to the desktop, I don't get a Direct X error; but I do wind up with a black screen that is revealed as I move the mouse around it. It's really wierd, like the mouse is unerasing the screen
Old March 3, 2003, 15:41   #32
Rantz
Quicksilver

Local Time: 20:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Draginol
I have one query on the personnel issue, who are all those people in the credits? Doesn't seem fair to you guys that 5 people get spread out when there's dozens of other people given pretty high billing.
In the case of art we had one person doing a role at a time... In the beginning of MOO3, I was doing concept art, then I got too busy, so we had Rod do a couple of pieces, then we had Oscar join the company and take on the concept role. So one person was doing concept work, but three different people filled that role at different times, if that makes sense.

In the case of programming there was a huge number of programmers on the project. Plus project management both internally and at Inforgrammes. With a project that ran 3 and a half years there was a lot of roll-on, roll-off of staff.

and, of course, there are always politics involved in credits. Learned that on the very first project I worked on
Rantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 01:11   #33
TheMaestro
NationStates
Warlord

Local Time: 15:39
I think the art of the game is fine, it was never supposed to be a graphical masterpiece.

In fact, the only ever problems I have with the game is lack of AI info, like why they want war...what we're framed for...otrher than that I have no qualms with it. Then again I just try to enjoy games as games...and not think on them too much.
TheMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 04:39   #34
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 22:39
Quote:
and, of course, there are always politics involved in credits
i presume to justify the budget
"look at how huge our credits list is! you can consider yourself lucky we spent that little"
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 23:50   #35
Lotharun
Settler

This is a wonderful game for what it is. The documentation is lacking and some of the control, EVEN AT THE MACRO LEVEL, needs work, but I'm willing look past the flaws and enjoy the game as a whole. There is no doubt that MOO3 > MOO2 and with tweaks it will certainly be better. My sugguestion for those that don't like the game is, give away their game, or ebay it, move on, and stop ranting on the boards. There are many of us that are here looking for game tips that aren't interested in wading through one more "this game sux" rant. If you figure out how the DEA is REALLY working then clue me in, but please lay off the it's broke posts.

Thanks,

Loth
Lotharun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2003, 06:07   #36
WarpStorm
King

Loth, good adivse that won't be taken. If the experience on the Civ3 board is any indication, the rant posts will be done for the next year or two.
Old March 5, 2003, 08:07   #37
vee4473
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotharun
This is a wonderful game for what it is. The documentation is lacking and some of the control, EVEN AT THE MACRO LEVEL, needs work, but I'm willing look past the flaws and enjoy the game as a whole. There is no doubt that MOO3 > MOO2 and with tweaks it will certainly be better. My sugguestion for those that don't like the game is, give away their game, or ebay it, move on, and stop ranting on the boards. There are many of us that are here looking for game tips that aren't interested in wading through one more "this game sux" rant. If you figure out how the DEA is REALLY working then clue me in, but please lay off the it's broke posts.

Thanks,

Loth
I thought that's why the boards are separated into different sections. So, if you want to avoid opinion posts and look for strategy tips, then you can go to the strategy section.

I thought the general section was the place for game opinion and discussion, good or bad. If someone is disappointed with the game, they have every right to discuss it in the general forum i think. Especially if such a discussion will lead to a better patch or ideas for the future.

Now, mind you, if someone posts "this game sux" and that's it, then it's not much help. But, if they include their reasons for why they think it sucks, then by all means, post it on the general section.

You might have a point if the boards weren't organized into different sections or if the mods didn't do a decent job of keeping the strategy section about strategy.
Old March 6, 2003, 07:05   #38
CenturionV
Settler

i would love this game and forgive it all its fault if it just had decent ai give me PONG with decent ai and i'll play it for a year every game these days has no ai (real ai learns, grows, becomes more advanced and better every game it plays against your or at the very least cheat to make the game hard) in MOO3 they won't even attack a completely undefended colony, i don't mind the complexety as much as the lacking ai and the horrendious menus, i don't know if this is hidden deep in one of the menus i missed but dident they say there was going to be some kind of religion system? also why is there only 3 victory conditions? in my mind its just backsliding from games like civ 3 that have 4-5 victory conditions atleast. now eventually i'll find a way to like this game despite my ramblings but i don't think it will be to popular wiht the average gamers, they'll always be the hardcore turn based gamer who love games were they can analyze every little stat and percenteage and manage there empire to perfection but the lack of a tutorial or up-to-date manual and the lakc of any real clear data on what half the stuff in the game actually does and means will keep alot of people away from it, which is quite sad.
CenturionV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2003, 01:58   #39
Vince278
King

Whatever happened to Chantz? I actually liked the Ithkul-Thumb and would like to mod the picture back into the game.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2003, 22:14   #40
dreadstar
Settler

Local Time: 06:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
If no MM was needed, why would we need to play? Wouldn't it just be a video, if all we do is hit the turn button?

Yeah, then you'd be playing Pax Imperia 2, wouldn't you

Pax Imperia 2 was exactly like that, just press the turn key, maybe move your fleets around a bit, but basically let the computer do it all. The Management you're doing in MOO3 is still way better, You DO have to do something, but you don't have to worry about the Viceroy managing your planet to an early grave if you ignore a planet for a few turns (unless your DP's need tuning, of course).

PS: I own the game, currently have a couple of games running, one just over turn 100, the other over turn 200. I have actually owned PI2 played it, until I had to stop myself falling asleep too much, so I uninstalled, put MOO2 back on, & everything was fine.
dreadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 00:03   #41
TheMaestro
NationStates
Warlord

MOO3 needs work, like most games of this type, everyone knew 20 Beta testers couldn't learn crap about the game...but 20,000 people playing it and spreading the word...that helps developers more than any test.

But I quit playing since I am addicted to Icewind Dale II...damn that game. RGP lovers...it's cool.
TheMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 20:17   #42
CyberGnu
King

Tip for MOO4, if there ever is one:

Fire all the arts people. Hire a five year old to draw stick figures (Five year olds work for candy).

Use the money you saved to hire gameplay designers.

Gameplay is the only important thing.
Old March 10, 2003, 22:38   #43
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberGnu
Tip for MOO4, if there ever is one:

Fire all the arts people. Hire a five year old to draw stick figures (Five year olds work for candy).

Use the money you saved to hire gameplay designers.

Gameplay is the only important thing.
Now... if you LOOK at the game, one would think gameplay has already been heavily encouraged over graphics... but hey, I guess it's possible to sacrifice even more graphics for any supposed "gain" in return in gameplay.

I'd say they've already sacrificed graphics for gameplay... and if sacrificing graphics didn't help much for increasing gameplay (since they're unrelated...), then I suppose you've hit upon a very interesting dynamic
Arnelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2003, 22:02   #44
BALROG
Settler

Re: Rantz Responds
Quote:
Originally posted by Rantz Hoseley
of Quicksilver Software, Inc.

We had 5 people working on Master of Orion III. 1 tech artist, 1 UI artist, 1 3D modeler, 1 animator and 1 concept person.
There is a conspicuous lack of application programmers in the above list....
BALROG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2003, 02:02   #45
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Re: Re: Rantz Responds
Quote:
Originally posted by BALROG
There is a conspicuous lack of application programmers in the above list....
As I think someone has already posted here, he was referring to the Art sub-team of the MOO3 team.
Old April 6, 2003, 23:38   #46
Kahn
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMaestro
MOO3 needs work, like most games of this type, everyone knew 20 Beta testers couldn't learn crap about the game...but 20,000 people playing it and spreading the word...that helps developers more than any test.
Only problem with waiting until after the release to work out the bugs is that 15,000 of those 20,000 are running around screaming "IT SUCKS".
Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote