Old March 1, 2003, 06:13   #1
Azail
Settler

Local Time: 14:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Inforgrames Petition
"After buying a $40 piece of worthless software called Civilization 3, and waiting endless months for it to be patched and become "playable", at best, then spending another $30 on another piece of worthless software called Civilization: Play the World, which was buggy and at best half as reliable as the latest patch of the original Civilization 3, I have decided to start this petition. I am utterly fed up by the quality, or lack thereof, to be precise, with the work done by Firaxis Games. This is not to say that Firaxis has not attempted to correct their mistakes with countless patches, which they have, but said patches usually ended up making the game worse than it was before, which is disheartening to say the least.

As a programmer, I know that anytime you develop software it will have bugs, that's inescapable, however, as a programmer, I also realize shoddy work when I see it, and the titles referred to earlier are the most shining examples of that I have ever seen.

I hereby boycott all Firaxis products & all Infrogrames products (and will advise all my computer game playing friends and relatives to do the same) until I see a Civilization 4 produced by a reputable game development company, with a decent track record of producing quality games, or in other words, not Firaxis Games."

What do you guys think? Does this sound about right, or is there anything more you want to add?
Old March 1, 2003, 06:20   #2
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 22:41
No, it does not sound right.

And it's Infogrames.
--Woody Allen
Old March 1, 2003, 06:23   #3
Azail
Settler

And what exactly is not right about it?
Old March 1, 2003, 06:28   #4
bigfree1

I give no credence to your post Azail.

Civ 3 is not "worthless"; it has had it's share of problems, but NOT any that would make it "worthless". In fact is was a pretty fair game out of the box, I had fun with it, sorry you didn't. Since you're a programmer don't spned anymore money on other peoples' game's; write your own!

Old March 1, 2003, 06:33   #5
Azail
Settler

Ok, bigfree1, you got me on that one. It was not worthless, the artwork was great... now if only the programmers knew what they were doing...
Old March 1, 2003, 07:51   #6
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 20:41
The biggest mistake Firaxis made was hard-coding just about everything early on. It's caused them, and us, no end of problems...
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old March 1, 2003, 07:57   #7
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 21:41
Its an average game thats all, its just we think it couldve been much better, whereas other less discerning players love it Id disagree and say Firaxis does have a good track record though, until now that is. Now lets never speak of this again.
Old March 1, 2003, 08:49   #8
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 15:41
Sorry, no.
Old March 1, 2003, 11:53   #9
wilbill
Warlord

Local Time: 16:41
Guess I'm just lucky. My copies of Civ 3, PTW, and all patches have been stable and enjoyable. I'm too busy playing to sign a petition that doesn't even correctly spell the name of the party it's addressed to.
Old March 1, 2003, 12:21   #10
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:41
Nope. I'm happy with PTW and the support of Firaxis in releasing the patches for it.
Old March 1, 2003, 12:32   #11
Alfonso
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Infogrames NO more!!!
Old March 1, 2003, 12:42   #12
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

The game is enjoyable, and one of the longest lasting game investments I've ever made. Civ3 encourages me to buy future Firaxis products, and not the other way around.
I acknowledge there were bugs and the games were rushed, but they have been enjoying from day one
Old March 1, 2003, 13:54   #13
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

A little late to the party, eh Azail?
Old March 1, 2003, 14:01   #14
SkiFletch
Settler

I have to agree with everybody. maybe you just got completely unlucky and are experiencing every bug known to man, but my experience both with Civ3 and PTW has been wonderful. no problems whatsoever... my only issue with the game is latency problems with multiplayer combat, thats it.
Old March 1, 2003, 15:44   #15
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
no problems whatsoever..

Anyway, I hated the game. I've given it too many chances, its failed each one of them. Oh well.
Old March 1, 2003, 16:30   #16
Azeem
Prince

I don't have any ill-feelings toward Firaxis. I've had Civ3 crash all the time before I got PTW, so I'm quite thankful for PTW.

But Infogrames... Don't know whether I should dislike them or despise them.
Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"
Old March 1, 2003, 17:13   #17
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Sure, erase that first stuff, and just say "Buld more Tank!", and then ask them if its them whos going to do a new MoM or if its QS getting it. Seriously, its kind of hard to boycott Firaxis after buying(and enjoying) their games. My latest purchase also makes boycotting Infogrames kind of worthlesss, though i'd be willing to do it until the next game i'm looking forward to comes out.
Old March 1, 2003, 17:15   #18
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ChaotikVisions
Sure, erase that first stuff, and just say "Buld more Tank!", and then ask them when if them whos going to do a new MoM or if its QS getting it. Seriously, its kind of hard to boycott Firaxis after buying(and enjoying) their games. My latest purchase also makes boycotting Infogrames kind of worthlesss, though i'd be willing to do it until the next game i'm looking forward to comes out.
Yes, I would be more than happy to boycott, say for about 3 weeks until GalCiv comes out. Moo3 is more than enough game to keep me busy until then.
Old March 1, 2003, 17:30   #19
Ivellios
Chieftain

Firaxis doesn't have a decent track record?! Last time I checked GameRanking's top 20 PC games, Alpha Centauri was a good 11th.

Though they could've done better with Civ III, it's still far from crap.
Old March 2, 2003, 01:03   #20
Aramis
Prince

Tried different games, but was easily bored. Wanted one GOOD game, and found CIV III, then PtW. Suits my interest.

I've not experienced most of the problems I read about here. Maybe I got a good copy.

Try a different mind set when playing the game: ignore the fact that you're a progammer, and look for what casual players see in it.
Old March 3, 2003, 22:15   #21
TheEmerged
Settler

Re: Inforgrames Petition
Quote:
Originally posted by Azail
"As a programmer, I know that anytime you develop software it will have bugs, that's inescapable, however, as a programmer, I also realize shoddy work when I see it, and the titles referred to earlier are the most shining examples of that I have ever seen.
Don't take the negative voices here too seriously, Azail. You have to remember that most of the people that have stuck around are the ones that like the product, and/or have too strong of an emotional investment therein to be objective.
Old March 3, 2003, 22:26   #22
WarpStorm
King

Re: Inforgrames Petition
Quote:
Originally posted by Azail
"This is not to say that Firaxis has not attempted to correct their mistakes with countless patches, which they have, but said patches usually ended up making the game worse than it was before."
I can't honestly think of any patch to Civ3 or PTW that was worse than the previous release (and I dare say I've tried about 10 patches for every one that has been released to the public). This kind of statement really lowers your argument.

I am biased, I like Civ3 and haven't run into many game ruining errors. I could even play MP from day one.

Civ3 had a troubled history. The lead programmer, designer, and producer left to form a new company midway through the project. That Firaxis was still able to meet their original schedule says a lot about their capabilities.

In addition, I've seen what happened when other franchises tried to do Civ and their near total lack of support is even worse.

The final point I will make is basic marketing, Infogrames can't sell Sid Meier's Civilization IV without Firaxis.

Last edited by WarpStorm; March 3, 2003 at 22:36.
Old March 3, 2003, 22:29   #23
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
--sigh-- Aren't we all a bit past this now? Civ 3 and PtW have been out long enough that we KNOW what we like and dislike about them, and we have already acted accordingly. Some have written to Firaxis/Infogrames, most have learned to get the most of the games and have done just that.

You don't like these games? That's cool. You want to start this petition? You have every right to. Just don't be too disappointed if you fail to get much support in a forum dedicated to LIKING Civ3. That's why we're here. The civ-haters are mostly gone.

Please, take my advice and do what worked for me when I found myself disliking Civ3 - learn as much as you can about the various strategies, find out what you haven't tried that others have, try that, try something else.... a different civ... don't use your UU... There is a lot of scope in this game, and if you try for a while, I think you'll find at least SOMEthing enjoyable about it. If not, then you will hopefully have learned that the game is rather incredible, if not to your liking.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old March 4, 2003, 04:48   #24
Elden
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The game is great - the delays for PTW in Australia were ridiculous though.
Old March 4, 2003, 05:11   #25
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

I used to run to the store the first day a promising game came out. I did this even after my experience with CTP2 (made by craptivision) and bought CIVIII as soon as it hit the shelves. Fortunately Firaxis patched the game thoroughly and IMO it is worth the money now as a single player game. However, I bought it for multiplayer and had to wait for that option for more than a year and again bought a game that was ridiculously bad out of the box (for multiplayer that is). It still is not patched sufficiently (I am living in Europe so the 1.21 patch is not available for me yet). From this experience I promised myself not to buy a game from Infogrames anymore until forums like these assured me it was a good game.

From what I read in the MOO3 forum I think I did the right thing. Ii seems Infogrames again delivered a game that was not yet ready for the market at all. I suggest that we all stop buying these games without checking its quality first. That will force them to deliver a game that works from the start. If we keep buying every sequel they deliver without checking its quality first, companies like Infogrames will continue to accept our money..... that is not a good thing but hey..., some people just do not care how you feel about them as long as they get your money.
Old March 4, 2003, 05:31   #26
statusperfect
King

Azail = Coracle
Old March 4, 2003, 13:41   #27
Boracks
Warlord

The only thing that really bugs me about CIV3 is the diplomacy. It's still not up to the level set by SMAC. Other than that, I still play the game. It may not be up to the level of SMAC and CIV2Gold but its still a decent game.

Unfortunately, MOO3 suffers even worse in the diplomacy department. It's not even as good as CIV3 in that regard. And the AI doesn't appear to be as good, either.

So don't knock CIV3 that much. It appears that we may have an example showing that it could be worse.

(And I really wish I wasn't able to say that about MOO3.)
Old March 4, 2003, 19:14   #28
Switch
Prince

We all know that the real culprit is Infogrames, not Firaxis. Firaxis made a beautiful product, but was ruinned by InfoG forcing the game out early. Who knows how wonderful a product it would've been had Firaxis had no schedule, and just released after escaping the beta stage?

The same goes with the pitifullness of the LE. InfoG decided what goes in the box....although I must say that they made a good choice on the box itself.

All I'm saying, is pretty much I'm a well-informed, biased, worshipper of all things CIv/Firaxis, and that they really did a good job.

BTW, if you ever actually do send anyone a petition like that, they would dispose of it immediately.
Old March 4, 2003, 19:36   #29
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
"After buying a $40 piece of worthless software called Civilization 3, and waiting endless months for it to be patched and become "playable", at best, then spending another $30 on another piece of worthless software called Civilization: Play the World, which was buggy and at best half as reliable as the latest patch of the original Civilization 3, I have decided to start this petition.
it's your fault. if you payed 40$ for something that was not "playable", waited "endless months" and then jumped to to buy ptw without a second thought, it's YOUR fault.

fool me once, etc etc

btw, this horse is dead... lets leave it to the people who like it as it is(civ3, not the horse )
Old March 4, 2003, 20:30   #30
Mad Bomber
King

Quote:
Originally posted by statusperfect
Azail = Coracle
Oh NO! is Zouave using ANOTHER avatar??

* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.