Old March 25, 2003, 12:26   #331
dudemanjack
Warlord

Local Time: 16:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I wouldn't close schools unless you are in VERY bad shape. There should be something else you can get rid of.
Old March 25, 2003, 13:44   #332
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 23:42
Social security.

and yes, don't close schools, and ESP. UNIVERSITIES.
don't decrease by 5 percent. I usually use between no decrease to VERY RARELY 10. 5 is already quite a lot.

on a general note, it's great to see a person from the Econo. threads here.
Old March 25, 2003, 15:26   #333
Colon™
Emperor

Local Time: 22:42
Think I'll have to shut down my electric utility, it's running out of cash. 110B, think this is gonna hurt.

Quote:
Originally posted by dudemanjack
I wouldn't close schools unless you are in VERY bad shape. There should be something else you can get rid of.
My education level is at 90 now, I think that's acceptable considering my working population is overly skilled. No need to rush ahead in education if your finances aren't up to it. (IMHO)

Quote:
don't decrease by 5 percent. I usually use between no decrease to VERY RARELY 10. 5 is already quite a lot.
I'll decrease it by 1% a month then.

Quote:
on a general note, it's great to see a person from the Econo. threads here.
Old March 25, 2003, 15:34   #334
dudemanjack
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Colon
Think I'll have to shut down my electric utility, it's running out of cash. 110B, think this is gonna hurt.

My education level is at 90 now, I think that's acceptable considering my working population is overly skilled. No need to rush ahead in education if your finances aren't up to it. (IMHO)

I'll decrease it by 1% a month then.

Try using effectivity upgrades in your corporations to use more skilled people, freeing up low level for something else.

If your social security payments are high, lower than 2%/month.
Old March 25, 2003, 15:40   #335
Colon™
Emperor

I'm doing that stuff don't worry.
Old March 25, 2003, 18:28   #336
Az
Emperor

colon, nothing is set in stone, though. Personally, when I have two months of production worth product in the stores, I just "Best Price" them away.
Old March 25, 2003, 21:35   #337
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Datajack Franit
Berlin Air in Franit Empire needs a contract for luxury goods, 20 per month
I've offered you a 99month contract.
Old March 25, 2003, 21:44   #338
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Colon, you should raise taxes on your companies too.
See if you can start more companies (like services) with the people you have spare, and also start upgrading effectivity (to get more people free) and quality (to sell your products for more money).
Old March 25, 2003, 22:22   #339
dudemanjack
Warlord

Never sell anything at best price. I set all my items to sell at their quality markup, but to be safe I drop the price by 10% each month it won't sell - it has been working fabulously.
Old March 25, 2003, 23:16   #340
Colon™
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Colon, you should raise taxes on your companies too.
See if you can start more companies (like services) with the people you have spare, and also start upgrading effectivity (to get more people free) and quality (to sell your products for more money).
Already raised taxes a couple of times. It's standing at 45% now, but I'm a bit reluctant to raise it any further because I want my corps to be financially strong as well. (that's why I don't have any additional taxes on state profits)

Besides, how high can you set the taxe rate untill the private companies flee? (which would sort of kill the goose that lays the golden eggs)
Old March 25, 2003, 23:21   #341
Colon™
Emperor

Malleus & Azazel, trade rules you explained to me seem to be working well since I've sold most of my stuff so far. (the only company with inventory left is that electric corp unfortunately)
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old March 25, 2003, 23:28   #342
Malleus
NationStates
Warlord

Local Time: 12:42
This is key: The market fluctuates wildly. Don't panic if you hit a run of bad months. Just try and keep the corps open until the good times come back

M

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.
Old March 26, 2003, 00:45   #343
Colon™
Emperor

Ok, I'll keep that in mind.

BTW, I want to cancel my previous country but I can't find out how...
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old March 26, 2003, 01:59   #344
Malleus
NationStates
Warlord

Try under "My Account"

Or My Actions...

M

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.
Old March 26, 2003, 02:02   #345
Skanky Burns

Quote:
Originally posted by Colon
Besides, how high can you set the taxe rate untill the private companies flee? (which would sort of kill the goose that lays the golden eggs)
Private companies are there for the duration. If you raise taxes too much though they won't be able to pay for their materials and staff, and will get higher and higher into debt.

High taxes in the short term won't kill them, but it depends on how much debt they are in in the first place.
Old March 26, 2003, 03:07   #346
Skanky Burns

Quote:
BTW, I want to cancel my previous country but I can't find out how...
My Actions -> User Account
Old March 26, 2003, 06:18   #347
Az
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns

Private companies are there for the duration. If you raise taxes too much though they won't be able to pay for their materials and staff, and will get higher and higher into debt.

High taxes in the short term won't kill them, but it depends on how much debt they are in in the first place.
I am thinking about starting a drive against the private corps, by raising the taxes skyhigh, while simultaneously lowering the amount paid by govt. corps, so they could handle the heat.

Sadly, there is a corp by Lawrence of Arabia now around, and you KNOW that I would never stab another apolytoner in the back.
Old March 26, 2003, 07:28   #348
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 21:42
Skanky- thx
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 26, 2003, 21:53   #349
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Azazel - hehehe. 35% is a bit steep already and I've got 30 Billion in debt with my enterprise and my Interceptor corp is 10 B in debt. Not a pretty sight. Im still waiting for that 20 B in gift credit.
Old March 26, 2003, 22:07   #350
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

OK i transfered money from my enterprise to my corp and paid off the debt. I now have 30 B in debt and 15 B in money for enterprise and 0B in debt and 5 B in money for corporation.
By selling it to you guys, I am making less money then if I sold on the open market, so cut me some slack with the taxes
Old March 26, 2003, 22:32   #351
Skanky Burns

One good thing is if your corp is running at a loss (not making any profit each month) then you don't pay tax, regardless of whether it is 10% or 100%.
Thanks for the interceptors. Don't forget to reserve an amount for private contracts each month, otherwise the contract won't be filled. (Unless its set to automatic, but then it will still miss out on the first delivery).

I set my reserve amount to twice the contract amount normally.
Old March 27, 2003, 00:59   #352
Colon™
Emperor

Some weird stuff is going on my country. All of a sudden the capacity utilisation levels dropped off by 20%, even though I ensured supplies as good as possible.
Is this because of my effectivity upgrades? I thought that only effected employment not capacity.
Or does the computer automatically decrease employment and production levels when the amount of unsold products is too high?

Even weirder: someone seen a electricity utility somewhere? Mine's lost.

(got no message that it was shut down, and its debt and assets weren't transferred to the state, it just vanished)
Old March 27, 2003, 06:43   #353
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

If it vanished wait for a cpl months- same happened to Berlin Air

If your production decreased, checkl your hiring: if your companies don't have enough hi-level workers, they will either shut down or decrease production
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 27, 2003, 10:16   #354
Giovanni Wine
NationStatesNever Ending Stories
King

Quote:

If your production decreased, checkl your hiring: if your companies don't have enough hi-level workers, they will either shut down or decrease production
Are you sure they will ever come back.

Because Freisa Airplanes and Nebbiolo Wine disappeared 3 game months ago from the Kingdom of Wine, and I'm still searching for them.

If you see them, please tell them to come back home

Saluti
"If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
"In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio
Old March 27, 2003, 10:21   #355
Az
Emperor

Giovanni, tell your brother to take the pic of the naked chick off the page of his country. I think that his account can be terminated for th such a thing.
Old March 27, 2003, 11:28   #356
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Have you got no shame? Naked women! tsk tsk

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 27, 2003, 12:44   #357
Colon™
Emperor

Quote:
I have no desire to see it come back actually.

Quote:
Can't be that, I have unemployed in all labour groups, and the better educated the higher unemployment is. Production simply went down across the line and I don't get why.
BTW private companies still have levels of around 100%.
Old March 27, 2003, 13:01   #358
Colon™
Emperor

Aha, just found this in the documentation:

Quote:
When products remain unsold, and the automatic process drives the production in the corporation, it will reduce production and wait for the products to be sold. It will also fire some workers to reduce cost.
I'm turning off the automation, if there's going to be unsold inventory, then I at least want it to be big.
Old March 27, 2003, 13:09   #359
Giovanni Wine
NationStatesNever Ending Stories
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
Giovanni, tell your brother to take the pic of the naked chick off the page of his country. I think that his account can be terminated for th such a thing.
He will hate for doing that, as now he is on a schooltrip, so I will have to do it.

Plus, it is just a pair of nice nipples, there is no harm on that

Saluti
"If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
"In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio
Old March 27, 2003, 13:58   #360
Az
Emperor

Oh, certainly, no harm done. but you see, It will be a shame to destroy all the work that he ( has not ) put into that country.