View Poll Results: Q1 Should we build conventional missiles: Q2 Should we build PBs
1) Never 3 10.34%
1) No need 4 13.79%
1) Not yet 3 10.34%
1) Yes 3 10.34%
1) Write in 2 6.90%
1)Conventional Xenobanana 0 0%
2) Never 7 24.14%
2) No need 1 3.45%
2) Not yet 1 3.45%
2) Yes 5 17.24%
2) write in 0 0%
2) Planet Buster Xenobanana 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 1, 2003, 14:16   #1
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 21:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Official Poll: Should we build missiles
As part of the Defence Policy Review and Peacekeeper liberation force build up the question arises should we consider building conventional missiles as part of our arsenal.

Our technological progress is such, that building and stockpiling them may prove to be expensive and unnecessary. Since our air power, we anticipate, will be sufficient to deal with Hive base resistence.

There is also the suggestion we might want to build a PB as a deterrent, but that might just start a missile and PB arms race.

So it is useful to sound out people's views.

There are two polls in one. The first covers Conventional Missiles and the second Planet Busters. The options in each case are: -

Never
No need
Not yet
Yes
Write in
Xenobanana

and the same options for Planet Busters (PBs)
Vote once in each section

Last edited by Hercules; March 1, 2003 at 14:38.
Old March 1, 2003, 14:32   #2
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

There is a fairly convincing discussion in the unofficial poll thread on this topic so I would be surprised if the broad consensus was reversed. But stranger things have happened.
Old March 1, 2003, 14:56   #3
Cedayon
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 15:43
"Never" to both... I would go with "No need" on conventionals, but really I think they're so unnecessary that we should not bother. The mins are much better spent on noodles and choppers if we want an offensive airforce.

And PB's are right out, never will I abide their construction. If Yang gets to building one (unlikely, considering how long he's got till Fusion) we'll have to crush him quickly. I'm not sure anyone else is a threat in that regard.

How careful are we being with our data files on Fusion Power, anyway? Would, say, Morgan build PBs if he had the tech?
Old March 1, 2003, 15:34   #4
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 20:43
just for the fun of it lets buy some PB`s we can spare the rescource its not that we are like not that far ahead of anyone else....so build them...they are fun to have...
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old March 1, 2003, 15:56   #5
Cedayon
King

Well, yea, PBs are lots of fun... but if there's one thing I'm going to take an RP-based stand on, it's against PBs... I can't abide having (let alone using) a weapon that literally blows holes in continents, killing *everyone* in a pretty significant radius.

Low/medium yield nukes I can live with, they're essentially really big bombs with a nasty after affect... but explosive land-to-lake conversion is *not* cool

edit- come on, all you tree huggers greenies ( ), the things aren't called "Planet busters" for nothing, you know what to do

there's also the diplomatic consequences of even possessing a PB arsenel...
Old March 3, 2003, 10:42   #6
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

There often seems to be a diplomatic effect of NOT possessing them - or a military effect, to be precise. From my experience, the doctine of deterrence does seem to work against the AI. For that reason, a couple of PB's would seem practical. If Yang starts in on his PB construction, obviously our first recourse is to stop him. However, it would be good insurance, especially if Yang shares OSF with other factions.

And just say NO to conventionals. Noodles and choppers give us more flexibility and longevity.
Old March 3, 2003, 11:12   #7
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 22:43
Well, if there's one thing I'm going to take an RP-based stand on, it's for PBs, lot's of them also!
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old March 3, 2003, 11:29   #8
Cedayon
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemmy
Well, if there's one thing I'm going to take an RP-based stand on, it's for PBs, lot's of them also!
I knew you would be their champion... maybe it would serve Yang right to be nuked to pieces and overrun by Lemmy's undead army of darkness (not necessarily in that order)... I can't support that, of course, but I wouldn't mind seeing it
Old March 3, 2003, 17:16   #9
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 17:43
never, never. and for the sake of planet, let's never elect lemmy DPO
Old March 3, 2003, 17:30   #10
Cedayon
King

Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
never, never. and for the sake of planet, let's never elect lemmy DPO
Those would be a fun last few days
Old March 3, 2003, 19:44   #11
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 13:43
For conventional missiles, yes if needed. But as it stands I do not believe we have any situations which necessitate use of conventional missiles.

As for planet busters I voted never (doesn’t our constitution prohibit constructing them???). Though we should not completely rule out their construction, but rather if the DPO wanted then, have a poll.
Old March 4, 2003, 02:22   #12
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 07:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
(doesn’t our constitution prohibit constructing them???).
No. This seems to be a common myth caused by the fact that the CCCP demanded a constitutional ban on atrocities, but ti was not implemented as the constitution is only meant for structuring the government, not how we play the game.
Old March 4, 2003, 07:33   #13
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
never, never. and for the sake of planet
You know your a tree-hugging leftie under all that FM talk

Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
let's never elect lemmy DPO
I don't know, we get to use the hordes of undead. Although the idea of Lemmy in charge of our intelligence units (again) is a little frightening

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old March 4, 2003, 07:35   #14
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Never to conventional missiles; they're of little use, but yes to PBs; there's nothing wrong with having them, as long as we don't use them.
Old March 4, 2003, 08:22   #15
Hercules
Deity

What's that big red button for. I wonder is it for the lift. PB Ah the basement.

Presses button. Oops

But I didn't mean to wipe out New Apolyton
Old March 4, 2003, 17:06   #16
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
You know your a tree-hugging leftie under all that FM talk
you've seen my nationstate, havn't you? i was a left-wing utopia for christ's sake!
Old March 4, 2003, 19:12   #17
Hercules
Deity

Well the answer is conclusive regarding PBs. Never.

There is also a clear massage from our citizens regarding Convention missiles. A feeling of 'no need' and never. Definitely not yes.

So MWIA, the new DPO, this is one military decision you don't have to think about.

Just think you won't have a stock of missiles to have them destroyed by UN inspectors.
Old March 4, 2003, 21:21   #18
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:43
Just as well. I don't think I could stand building long, sleek, state-of-the-art missiles that strike respect into our enemies and then having to destroy them.

Poor Saddam.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old March 5, 2003, 03:29   #19
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Um... there wasn't really a clear message on PBs. 50% voted never, 1 voted no need (probably Archaic), and 6 voted either yes, or yes sometime in the future.
Old March 5, 2003, 06:35   #20
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Well, that means at the moment there is a majority against. That is clear. We may just have to poll in the future for them, since there was not a conclusive majority for never.

Old March 5, 2003, 06:36   #21
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
there's nothing wrong with having them, as long as we don't use them.
What's the use in having them, if we're not going to use them?

Old March 5, 2003, 06:38   #22
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

They're a political weapon. It will make the other factions just that little bit more respectful, because they can never be sure that we won't use them.

EDIT: and I acknowledge that there is a majority for 'never', I'm just saying that it isn't a clear majority.
Old March 5, 2003, 06:43   #23
Drogue
staff

Quote:
They're a political weapon. It will make the other factions just that little bit more respectful, because they can never be sure that we won't use them.
I don't think AIs work like that. All I find is they become a bit annoyed with me for having them and warn me not to use them. If we have them, there will be the temptation to use them. It's a lot of minerals to waste on something we will never use. Personally, I would not even sanction using them if we are attacked first with them.

Planet Busters - So evil their related to Lemmy

Old March 5, 2003, 06:46   #24
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Does anyone actually know how the AIs are affected by your possession of PBs? I always interpreted their warning me not to use them as their being afraid that I would use them, as they well should be. Any weapon which is capable of blowing large chunks out of the planet's surface is one to be feared.
Old March 5, 2003, 08:27   #25
Method
Emperor

Quote:
Does anyone actually know how the AIs are affected by your possession of PBs?
i don't kkow if they are at all, but i'm not certain