Old March 4, 2003, 11:11   #61
Cabbagemeister
Warlord

Local Time: 15:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
People are saying that the New Orions come out and kick everyone's ass? I don't know. I've seen them come out, yeah, but they didn't do much ass kicking.

I was in the middle of conquering the evon (and by the way, I never saw them build one troop ship ever), and all of a sudden, boom, the new orions show up at my doorstep with 120 ships. I'm scared shitless, but they don't attack at all. Instead, they march through my territory, get to the front I've opened with the evon, and just SIT there in system doing nothing. It's pretty stupid. For some reason I can't invade the planets in that system now (I guess the NO are blockading). It's been about fifty turns now, and I've stripped all my defenses away from that system because they're just not doing anything. They've had plenty of opportunity to decimate either me or the remnants of the evon (who stay alive on four planets in that system because I can't invade), and they've done nothing.

So why are they here? My guess is that they got pissed because I started using NBC weapons in my ground invasions. But it seems ridiculous that their response to me violating a treaty is to march to a half-conquered system and just SIT there. If nothing else, it makes the "Space Comnbat" screen pop up every turn, which is annoying.
Cabbagemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 12:46   #62
TrainWreck20
Warlord

Local Time: 20:44
LOL...they are the 'peacekeeper' forces from the the UN
TrainWreck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 13:02   #63
Xlr8
Settler

Local Time: 14:44
I would like to add that I am near turn 220 and at open war with the Ickthul (sp)... the best they are throwing at me is small 4-ship frigate attackers. This is pretty ridiculous. I'm playing on Easy, too.
Xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 13:54   #64
Tyranny#12
Settler

Local Time: 15:44
Actual Combat Fix
There's a thread over on www.ina-community.com that deals with this. I haven't read the latest 2 (!) additional pages of comments since last night, but overall it's been extremely constructive and is actually solving the aggressiveness problem to some degree. Lord Orion, in particular, was killed a couple times by turn 70 and he wasn't trying to get killed, after he made the changes. I've since made changes to my own files, last night, but I haven't gotten a chance to test them (looking for a little less aggressiveness.)

The thread is here:
http://www.ina-community.com/forums/...hreadid=270429

And Lord Orion's current militaryAI.txt is posted too, on the second page:
http://home.attbi.com/~spam-target/

The thing that everyone has confirmed, Ankh, is that the AI prioritizes it's wars. If you have no troops, and any other empire in the galaxy is potentially threatening and has ships, than you will get almost no attention if anything.

Will post results from my trials tonight - but I expect the AI to attack me based upon the changes I made (I also slowed down research and reduced HFOG on AI, as they don't know how to avoid it, but those are different files. Also, increased potential task force sizes available to everyone.)
Tyranny#12 is offline   Reply With Quote