View Poll Results: What's your favorite playable race?
Human 12 18.75%
Evon 7 10.94%
Psilon 1 1.56%
Meklar 3 4.69%
Cynoid 8 12.50%
Sakkra 2 3.13%
Raas 3 4.69%
Grendarl 0 0%
Trilarian 1 1.56%
Nommo 2 3.13%
Imsaeis 1 1.56%
Eoladi 1 1.56%
Silicoid 2 3.13%
Klackon 4 6.25%
Tachidi 5 7.81%
Ithkul 6 9.38%
Other / Don't Know 6 9.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 1, 2003, 14:57   #1
canamrock
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Best Race
When I started, I played as the Psilon, my favorite MOO2 race. I was sorely dissapointed when I found myself being surpassed by everyone else in all ways, especially technology. They seem to have been penalized greatly...

Now, I started a game with the Raas while still working through the Psilon game...

What a difference! The Raas just seem to do everything better, and the ground combat penalty they suffer is mitigated by the fact that they seem to pick up the new technologies faster, and are therefore able to compensate for that. They are even the coolest race, IMO, because their story is something akin to "Jews in Space", like at the end of "History of the World, Part One". Except these ones make like Jacob and swamp across the rest of the galaxy... lol

In any case, I think the Raas my favorite race so far. What's yours?
canamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2003, 15:42   #2
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 15:44
I like a slightly modified Ithkul (everytime I type that, I feel like Buckwheat). Nothin like being at war with everybody. No more than a turn of peace at a time. And I like that my plague spreads on planets I possess killing off the locals. evil is good

That said, my most successful game was using Meklar
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2003, 15:54   #3
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 20:44
Sakkra.

I'll have to try the Raas sometime, they remind of Rygel from Farscape.

Do It Ourselves
General Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2003, 15:55   #4
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 22:44
Ants ants ants! :=)
30%growth, nice Circles, whooping Mining/bio AND Industry ahh so sweet :=)
set creativitiy to normal and be set :=)
Old March 1, 2003, 21:31   #5
cpinchak
Settler

Customed Nommo for me.

Sure they would lose to an army of Dwane Dibblys in a ground war, but with the latest technology ships you don't have to worry about ground combat.

Canamrock, you mentioned loving the Psilons in previous MOOs. I am assuming because of their tech bonus.

Give the Nommo a try. They fly thru tech.
cpinchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2003, 22:40   #6
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Evon.

No question for me.

They get so many picks that even if you don't like the ones they have, just modify them to your tastes. The default picks they get, though, are pretty darn awesome, ESPECIALLY if you start in the Senate. If you customize them to increase their diplomacy even slightly (which you can more than afford with their over-abudance of picks), they simply ROCK.

I think the Raas, the Eoladi, and the Imsaeis are both pretty darn effective as well. Obviously the Ithkul are effective, but they're even more stacked than the Evon (though the Ithkul diplomacy disadvantage is insurmountable, unlike the Evon's easily customizable one).

Personally, I also like Trilarians and the Silicoids, but that's just personal taste.

I'd have to say:

1. Evon
2. Raas
3. Ithkul
4. Eoladi
5. Imsaeis
6. Trilarian

That's only based upon playing the game for several days, though. I'm sure my impressions will change later. I'm fairly certain that my impression of the Evon won't go down, though... they are truly overpowered.
Arnelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2003, 22:42   #7
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Whoever voted Humans:

I only wish the Humans were that good. If they had more picks, I'd actually play them more... (I'll probably play them more later for a challenge when I've learned the game better).
Old March 1, 2003, 23:54   #8
TrainWreck20
Warlord

Does anyone play without modifying the races?
TrainWreck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 00:29   #9
canamrock
Chieftain

I've been so far.

The reason I like the Psilon so much was the Creativity power... they learned all techs of a group, so you always had stuff to trade for systems or deals.

I just wish the race you chose influenced more visually than just the ship designs and the spy pictures. MOO2's 'communicative' images of your minions doing stuff was so cool.

I'll have to try the Nommo next... silly squidy guys.
Old March 2, 2003, 00:44   #10
smellymummy
King

for some reason i can't play anything but humans

there good at diplomacy, I guess... thats a bonus? otherwise it's fun.

I remember in moo2 I'd customize my race all the time, it would make the game so easy!

I tried evon.. those black skinned ones, and I was doing pretty good, until the AI got me. at that point it was 'new game' - humans, time.
smellymummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 00:47   #11
Main_Brain
King

My diplomacy rating is to bad..
AI wont accept any Tech/system Deals..
mhh as i think about it he only accepts trade&research, the only time NA/Alliances concur is when He proposes them. *note*
Old March 2, 2003, 00:49   #12
Arnelos
Emperor

The Humans were my favorite race in both MoO and MoO2. I love the combined diplomacy and trade advantages. My playstyle is heavily weighted toward trade and diplomacy, with a secondary emphasis in espionage, so I really like playing the Humans in MoO and several different races in MoO2 (Humans first pick though).

The problem with the Humans in MoO3 is that I can just mod the Evon to be a more effective Human - Homo Superior

As I've said in other threads... the Humans desperately need some help. My personal suggestion is to up their trade pick to superior, maybe even give them some diplomacy picks and fantastic traders as well. As it currently stands, the Humans get the fewest value of picks of ANY race in the game and are vastly inferior to the picks given the Evon, who seem identical in hardwiring according to the readme file.

Also, FYI.... the Humans have only average diplomacy. They DO get a Casus Belli diplomacy advantage, but the Psilons and Evon get the exact same advantage (and the Psilons have Superior Diplomacy on top of it).

You can mod the Humans up to Superior Diplomacy for only 20 points, but then you have to either reduce one of their only decent traits or give them yet ANOTHER poor trait.
Old March 2, 2003, 00:53   #13
habadacus
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Main_Brain
mhh as i think about it he only accepts trade&research, the only time NA/Alliances concur is when He proposes them. *note*
Don't feel bad, I think the diplomacy is very broken. Even with a race customized for max diplomacy on easy difficulty I found this to be true also.
habadacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 00:58   #14
smellymummy
King

well certainly the humans are not the best. compare it to the meklars for example, or the insects, or whatever else, theres so many different comparisons to make.

when I play human though I just push a fleet into enemy border and harrass them, and then run away, and put up a defense. then go back at harrassing, etc.

fun thing is though, it's easy to keep that reasearch and trade treaty going.

wish they had better spies though
smellymummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 01:16   #15
Arnelos
Emperor

Spies are one of the only things the humans are GOOD at in MoO3

---------------

Humans:

Superior:

Economics (interest rates, gov't waste/corruption)
Cunning (espionage)

Good:

Research

Average:

Bioharvesting (food)
Mining
Manufacturing
Trade
Reflexes (ground combat)
Accuracy (ground combat, space combat?)
Diplomacy
Creativity (research-related)

Poor:

Citizenship (spy defense, unrest)
Environment
Toughness (ground combat)

--------------

The Humans get discounts in diplomacy and many of the ground combat modifiers (accuracy and toughness are both discounted, don't remember if reflexes are as well).

So the humans have no advantage in trade and the only advantage they have in diplomacy is an advantage SHARED by the Evon and Psilons
Old March 2, 2003, 10:20   #16
Main_Brain
King

I downed all Combat abilities to poor.
Tech's help it, also magnate's.
Hive,
Superoir Bio,Ind,Mining,
most content best Citizens
bad research av. creativity

Is it a Bird?
Is it a Plane?
No its the Klackons on Steroids!
;=)
Old March 2, 2003, 17:12   #17
Yodasplat
Chieftain

I am actually surprised to see that not a lot of people went for the bugs.

I would have thought that bugs would have had more popularity since they have the "easiest" form of governement to manage and they breed like crazy (as far as I know)

I yet have to try them.

I have been playing human so far, didn't trust myself to go for anything else considering that I am totally new at MOO and didn't trust myself to be able to handle anything "unfamiliar"
Old March 2, 2003, 18:12   #18
Main_Brain
King

30%growth Klacks
35%Tachidii
i remember that one Race breeds fast but im unsure which..
harvesters or Saurians?
Old March 2, 2003, 19:59   #19
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:44
Quote:
Originally posted by TrainWreck20
Does anyone play without modifying the races?
That is what I am doig right now. No custom races until I have a better understanding of the game. These games are only for experimentation.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 03:57   #20
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Top Race :
Eoladi modified by pushing everything right down so I can then push up Citizenship, Mining, Manufacture, Research and Creativity to Max, and a Hive government. These guys blow at trade and diplomacy, and are the worst imaginable ground troops. But, man can they build things.

Don't forget - Eoladi have very big planets indeed. A size 12 planet covered in Industry DEAs with Superior Manufacturing. Sweeeet

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 20:06   #21
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Main_Brain
I'm also a big fan of the ants from MoO2. I took the "stock" ants to get a feel for the game and am actually doing very well in both economy & research, both because of diplomacy!

I'm persistant. Initially I couldn't get many deals from my Senate buddies but after a while of 2nding their motions and proposing "praise" bills and offering them trade deals they opened up. Now I've got a rep for accepting any trade or research pact, I always respond promptly with polite and friendly replies and I often make sweet tech trades with my Psilon buddies (+198 relations) ... I have full alliances with most of the races. Only non-takers are New Orion (isolationist b*stards), Silicoids (who are programed to hate my race but actually traded with me for a while until we got into a spy vs spy war), and then there's the Ithkul. I hate those infested terran braggards. My bug fleets with ant armies are currently en route to their homeworld to erradicate them. This is still my first game (just got the game this weekend) and I'm actually excited to get home and try out my first real invasion.

Why I love the Ants: Industry and Growth. The population soars, colony ships are rapidly born due to great industry and we populate the stars. With #s comes additional production compounded with our racial bonus for production with leads to big ant fleets all the while extra ants to do un-ant things like research. I bumped up my budget into research, set research as a secondary pref for my non-mining planets (including core), and to get past our lack of creativity, you gotta trade a lot with your buddies.

Of course my silly bug spies really sucked until I got lucky and got a leader who gave them all +20% bonuses. I still don't crank out spies that fast, but I get very amused when I see names like "Backbeat" next to their cheesy bug-shots.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Togas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 21:18   #22
Arnelos
Emperor

hmm... for some reason, it surprises me that Togas likes to play the bugs...

For me, so far it's this order:

1. Evon
2. Silicoids
3. Humans (for a challenge, as explained above...)

I'm loving the Evon so far... especially if you modifty them to give them better diplomacy.
Old March 3, 2003, 22:56   #23
canamrock
Chieftain

Well, my new game with the Nommo is going well. I got caught in a small sector, strung in a space corridor between three empires, having only a wormhole to allow further expansion (until I get past a Guardian, anyways). However, even with a much more limited ability to expand, I am finding that they are just as capable of expanding their power as the Raas, if not moreso. However, they are much more susceptible to unrest than are the Raas, and it's this thorn in my side which has made preparations for a Guardian assualt difficult.

So far, I'd say that the Raas and Nommo about equal in their goodness, both surpassing the Psilon to some degree.
Old March 4, 2003, 08:34   #24
Main_Brain
King

Customised a Tachidi slightly better than Klackons it seems..
but somehow their Spies are a lot worse ... really strange-
But well I can handle it.. The First spy I ever recruited was named Turncoat so I dont expect much ;=)
Old March 4, 2003, 08:46   #25
bakalov
Prince

Local Time: 23:44
War of Art,
If I were you I would push up the Economics instead of Mining And throw in Natural Engineers too ....

Last edited by bakalov; March 4, 2003 at 09:52.
bakalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 09:33   #26
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

I love the Tachidi, from what I've played so far. Excellent production and mining, plus they produce ships like there's no tomorrow. Which, I guess, is kind of true.
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote