Old March 1, 2003, 17:19   #1
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 15:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I Hate That Stupid Draft Button.
Look at it. Just sitting there, so tiny, so innocent looking, so BLOODY FREAKING EASY to hit when rush building!!!!

If there was one design item I'd change in city view, it would be to have an "Are You Sure?" box open for that button, just as they do for rush building.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old March 1, 2003, 19:21   #2
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 22:44
I have never used it. What is it for?
Old March 1, 2003, 22:21   #3
badams52
King

Local Time: 12:44
I know what you're saying, but it's only happened to me a couple of times. Just right click on the city from the outside, don't go to the city screen when rushing buildings. You'll have less headaches that way.

BTW, you can also mess up when right clicking too, it's just not as easy.
Old March 2, 2003, 02:48   #4
wilbill
Warlord

Local Time: 16:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre
I have never used it. What is it for?
It creates a Conscript defensive unit.
I agree, M. Monk. After months of scarcely noticing the button was even there, a couple of weeks ago I started hitting it every time I wanted to rush something. The rotten thing should be moved to a separate screen by itself, lol.
Old March 2, 2003, 07:15   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The conscript has 2 hit-points. It also creates unrest in the city for 20 years (cumulative) and reduces the city population by 1.
Old March 2, 2003, 11:41   #6
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I know what you mean.

I too had a lot of problems with it changing from Civ to PTW.
Now it still happens from time to time, it isn't the best placed button, but please no more pop-ups
Old March 2, 2003, 13:10   #7
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 17:44
Isn't the hurry production just below the Abadon City option in the right-click menu? I don't know, but I did have a major screw up once when right-clicking to rush.
Old March 2, 2003, 13:24   #8
badams52
King

Local Time: 12:44
Pedro,

You are correct. It's just I've had less trouble accidently drafting with right click as opposed to city screen.

Another thing is sometimes instead of clicking the diplomacy button, I click just a little to the left of it which ends my turn. So I've began using shift-D instead.
Old March 3, 2003, 10:02   #9
Daz
Prince

Local Time: 20:44
So thats why the cities I conquered have the draft-related unrest. It stays even if the city falls to another player...

BTW... never used draft...
Old March 3, 2003, 13:44   #10
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:44
I had an itchy trigger finger with the draft button at first.

Then I realized that drafting units causes unhappiness for 20 turns....

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old March 3, 2003, 15:54   #11
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 21:44
hooray for draft as it saved my butt against the evil french who seized Berlin and Leipzig
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 3, 2003, 16:06   #12
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I've hit that button by mistake a couple of times too, TMM. I feel your pain[/slick willy voice]

I cannot recall ever deliberately using the draft.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 3, 2003, 17:39   #13
PrinceBimz
Prince

Local Time: 14:44
Just be careful not to hit it by mistake. Anyway drafting has saved my butt so many times. Especially if an unexpected war breaks out and you are outnumbered. Run to your largest cities near the enemy and start drafing. Better to draft then to lose your city and have the AI burn it down. At least you can rebuild in time. Even though those drafties are untrained rookies better then nothing.
Old March 3, 2003, 18:09   #14
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

AI burning down a city built thousands of years ago
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 4, 2003, 04:44   #15
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by badams52
I know what you're saying, but it's only happened to me a couple of times. Just right click on the city from the outside, don't go to the city screen when rushing buildings. You'll have less headaches that way.

BTW, you can also mess up when right clicking too, it's just not as easy.
I usually use the arrows on either side of the city's name in city view to jump from city to city - really convenient, especially if you have a large number and / or really spread out cities. So for me it's usually jump to next city - click rush button - confirm - jump to next city - click rush button - confirm - jump to next city - click rush button - confirm - jump to next city - click draft button - #$@&^%@%#$%@ - jump to next city - click rush button - confirm - etc.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old March 5, 2003, 00:36   #16
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Yep, bugs the crap outta me too. I hit it all the time (I'm a big-time drafter too... 12 pop before hospitals is a waste).

Not as bad as declaring war by accident, though...
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old March 5, 2003, 11:15   #17
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Theseus,

What do you do with those drafted units? Do you throw them into the fray, or do you disband for shields in the hinterlands?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 5, 2003, 11:53   #18
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Why do you press the draft button anyway? I press the "H" key (a good old relic, back at the time I used to play SMAC using the keyboard only... aaah

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 5, 2003, 12:56   #19
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 17:44
Never drafted, and now that I confirmed (I did not know that) that only size 7+ cities can draft, now I feel compelled to almost never do it. Tried my first non-AI-mood-controlled game, and, even though it felt different (dificult! man, if you don't train it...), it was not a big great difference after all... at least in this first (won! uhu!) game.
Old March 6, 2003, 17:30   #20
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Theseus,

What do you do with those drafted units? Do you throw them into the fray, or do you disband for shields in the hinterlands?

-Arrian
Disbanding (I do this a LOT)
Back-up defense (they're not so bad in a mountain fortress)
Interior defense (left over from Civ2... I hate empty cities)
Maginot Lines
Garrisoning resistors

I'll use them in battle when outrageously advantage... Germany or some other bastard shows up with a stack of 30 Infantry, I arty them down to redline, and then get an awful lot of my conscripts and regs promoted.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old March 6, 2003, 18:05   #21
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Disbanding (I do this a LOT)
Although a very good tactic, it does feel to me like an exploit.
(I use it too though )
Old March 7, 2003, 07:47   #22
Kampus majore
Chieftain

)
I use it from time to time as well. Usually in the infantry period or later. Because by then you have 12 pop cities without sanitation. It is a waste to let thet extra food go to waste!

It has saved my butt as well one time. I was badly outnumbered and the Russians started a war with loads of cossacks, mostly regular. I was under monarchy at that time, so I could draft even two per city! Then march them to the front (with railroad no problem!). Sure it was mostly cannonfodder, but it stopped them and gave me an opportunity to build REAL units.

Well it was before the 1.29f (even pre 1.21 I think) patch though, so the unhappiness was probably less than it is now....
Old March 7, 2003, 11:06   #23
Traelin
Prince

Re: I Hate That Stupid Draft Button.
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
Look at it. Just sitting there, so tiny, so innocent looking, so BLOODY FREAKING EASY to hit when rush building!!!!

If there was one design item I'd change in city view, it would be to have an "Are You Sure?" box open for that button, just as they do for rush building.
Good God do I agree. I can't even tell you how many times I've accidentally hit that thing.