Old March 1, 2003, 21:41   #1
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Military queues
I am losing my patience with the AI wanting to create things I do not want.
It keeps queuing up Marines and I have not even made conact with anybody.
It keeps making troops until I made them Obsolete.
It makes scouts in short anything it can thing of and I do not want it to make any mil units. I set the spending to zero and clear the queue, but it goes on its marry way.
Anyway to put a stop to this nonsense?
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2003, 21:47   #2
Crostoneman
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:44
Click on the Economic A.I. check box on the planet screen. This will stop the A.I. from building those troop ships and marines, but I would warn you that it takes a while to build a sizable squadron of elite marines so you should start early.
Crostoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2003, 22:33   #3
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:44
I agree with Crostoneman. It's actually a very good idea to start building those infantry and marines early due to experience.

The problem I have that infuriates me with the planetary build AI for the military queues is that it has a fetish for building 20-30 hackers, command centers, and psy ops and NOT building marines once you get the tech for those ground support units

Having 30 support units in reserve doesn't do me any good if I don't have any actual TROOPS to put them with!

I'd be happy if it built some more marines and cut back a little on the magazine/hacker fetish...
Arnelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2003, 22:52   #4
Yodasplat
Chieftain

it would be nice if we could have something similare to the planetary development plans ... for production queues ...

Like some place where we can decide to give priority to ship building or shock troops or support items and so on.
Old March 1, 2003, 23:24   #5
vmxa1
Deity

I hear you, I just do not have enough playing time to have any idea how many troops should be built.
It likes to crank out those low level def ships as well.
Old March 2, 2003, 00:56   #6
Defkon
Settler

I could be dead wrong, but i think the AI tries to make some kind of ratio of various troops. I let my AI go on it's marry way in a system i never really payed attention to and later when i went to make some ground invasion forces found that the system had a ton of marines, a handfull of hackers and Psyops a very few number of command thingys.. and a ton of troopships. It was really nice being able to say. "autobuild me an army.. ok 2, no 3 armies, and having them all packaged in ships in a single turn.

so maybe the AI is thinking about long term military needs rather than our short term?
Defkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 03:15   #7
vmxa1
Deity

Like I said, I believe that can be valid, I just do not know how much is needed to do the job. I have a strong hunch it is a lot less than the AI will build, if left to its own devices.
Old March 2, 2003, 10:26   #8
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 22:44
@Arnelos:
I fully agree. I have at least 40 Support Units sitting arround
Old March 2, 2003, 19:20   #9
Lotharun
Settler

I think the in stick the side is that most of us veteran gamers are used to micromangement and this game a lot more about macro. I'd like a lot more control over ratio's, etc.

Hey, maybe I'm just going to destroy planets instead of conquer them. Why would I want troop ships then, eh? The model is a bit presumptious.
Lotharun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 04:03   #10
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Well, when my size 12 industry mammoth (with more than 2500 industry points, and a shipyard capacity of Titan) is building Hackers, then I get annoyed. Especially as it builds about 7 Hackers all in one turn or something. I have to set it to build 10 x Biggest Ship. Over and over. Its a pain.

But this will surely be one of the priority things for the first patch, right ? I'd like to set each planet a build priority - Big ships, small ships, troops, support, defence(Sys Ships, Orbitals, Planetary). Just click on the icon(s) you'd like.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 10:34   #11
TrainWreck20
Warlord

I am starting to get over the fact that the various planets produce units I do not need. I do a liltte bit of controlling by 'obsoleting' and 'unobsoleting' (new word?) various units. Now, I have not played on very big maps, but this works well for the smaller ones. I tend to create a couple of high-capacity production worlds and micor-manage these, and let the others go about their business. Since I have usually geared them to mining or research, they don't make a whole lot of anything anyway. They slowly crank out a few marines and other troops. Every 10 or 20 turns, I go through and reset a couple to make some special order, so to speak.

I have noticed that they do make a heck of a lot support troops, although it has not gotten to the point where I have run out of marines, so far.
TrainWreck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 14:27   #12
vmxa1
Deity

What would be nice is a TRADE item like in Moo2.
Queue it up and nothing gets built. Call it anythin, but I would like to have a run in place item to prevent any building until I want it. This would allow me to not have to go delete all the queue up crap.
Old March 3, 2003, 16:03   #13
TheMaestro
NationStates
Warlord

vmxa1 that's a great idea, like what they did in Civ and MOOII, where you build nothing...and all the production is devoted to monetary gain. We would all building planets and cities in these games for the purpose of making them money-gainers only.
TheMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 18:30   #14
Crostoneman
Chieftain

Just set the military budget slider to 0% and turn off the Planet A.I. That's what passes for trade item in this game.
Crostoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 19:49   #15
tobarstep
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Crostoneman
Just set the military budget slider to 0% and turn off the Planet A.I. That's what passes for trade item in this game.
But then you run into the problem of your planetary economy going to pot since the viceroy is no longer managing it. What I would like to see is separate automation tasks for economic and building activities.
tobarstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 20:18   #16
vmxa1
Deity

Yes that can be done, but as was mentioned, I do not want to do everything, only stop some of the madness.
Old March 4, 2003, 03:57   #17
Killazer
Warlord

Would be cool if there was a whole other screen dedicated to military building and planet military queues. A screen where you could set military build polices and quickly change and queue up stuff in all of your planets without having to click click click using the planets screen. Would be nice also if the actual military queue was ordered a bit nicer. I make a lot of designs for different ship types at least around 24 or so and it would be nice if ships were grouped in sub-tabs by size at least. The way it is now all ship sizes are just thrown all over the place.
Killazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 04:24   #18
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Well, its possible to edit the AI's build priorities both for ground troops and ships. Its a bit complicated though. I'm sure this is one of the things in the coming patch.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 09:07   #19
Prothero
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:44
The only thing i want right now is a way to stop the AI to build anything military. I have a lot of research and mining planets that keep investing in a 50 turns Titan. I want that money and pp in the infrastructure and research expenses, not in a big ship, that will be useless by the time that it is completed.
Prothero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 10:19   #20
bakalov
Prince

Local Time: 23:44
You can make some ships designs, queue them to be built where you want, and then make them obsolete - as you do with all of your ship designs. For the ground combat units I haven't found any cure, though ....

You can try to specialize your worlds, so u have only a few worlds with very high industry, and then micromanage them. Sort the planets by industry so these will pop out at the top of the planet list ....
Old March 4, 2003, 14:00   #21
Tyranny#12
Settler

Ratios

MilitaryAI.txt has the ratios for both ground combat troops and spaceships. Early on in the game, those ground ratios are skewed towards building support units, as the high ratio value units aren't available yet, and each support unit is given a ratio of 2 (2+2+2 is over half the total ratio at the beginning of the game.)

Troop ships, too, are up there, with a ratio of 4. All of this can be edited very easily, though I recommend just taking a complete and tested miltaryAI.txt file that also makes the AI more aggressive.

There's one here:
Just make a "Spreadsheets" directory in the folder that has the file spreadsheets.mob (under gamedatafiles/common or something like that) and put the militaryAI.txt file in there. Or just edit the relevant lines yourself, howto is over at ww.ina-community.com under Fan Modifications.

http://home.attbi.com/~spam-target/
Tyranny#12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2003, 08:23   #22
Daz
Prince

I think it sucks that you have to mod a game like that for it to be playable.

offtopic, but the sad truth
Daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2003, 16:40   #23
Tyranny#12
Settler

Prothero - By now you may have heard the answer (I'm not a very good lurker,) but your 50 turn titan problem is atypical.

Another reason for many troop ships has been found to be that people don't have any other military ships of a small enough cost for the AI to consider building. If your AIs are building 50 turn titans, you must have one of the war settings turned up high enough that they feel it's important to do that. Typically the AI always goes for 'reasonable' ships even on the War settings. 50 turn titans are not reasonable. A full description of this can be found on the guides at http://www.nebulanet.net:8080/moo3/t...xplanation.htm

And other guides that really do help: http://www.nebulanet.net:8080/moo3/

Still, building queues are one of the few things I muck around with personally on a regular basis - it'd be nice if there was a quick way to handle that.
Tyranny#12 is offline   Reply With Quote