Old March 1, 2003, 22:56   #1
slitherin
Settler

Local Time: 20:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
GALCIV vs MOO3
I just got Galciv by purchasing the drengin.network at stardock's website. Galciv rocks! A lot of variety and ease of menus makes this a real fun game to play. Plus you can choose either to be a good, neutral, or evil empire in your actions (there are consequences!) and random events also throws you off. The ai will also kick your butt! Yes, ship designs are one track but everything else is well worth it.

Anyone willing to purchase my Moo for $30.00? Just email me at razuldazul@yahoo.com.
slitherin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2003, 23:12   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:45
Likely most here already have Moo3. I suspect quite a few (me) will get Galciv in a few weeks when it is on the shelf.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2003, 23:16   #3
slitherin
Settler

Oh well - charge to experience never -never again I am buying from quicksilver. They failed the Moo concept and really f---ed this one to the ninth degree.
Old March 2, 2003, 00:14   #4
Killazer
Warlord

ya I just think moo3 is way overdone to the point where most people will have no fun playing the game. Bloated, poor graphics, poor combat system/graphics, poor/no atmosphere very robotic excel-like. It's ok... but its not really moo
Killazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 00:27   #5
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:45
The combat system is definately not "poor" or anywhere close.

Quite frankly, I've never seen a space strategy game force me to think as much about tactics as I'm having to do with MoO3. Mass, manuever, recon.... it all MATTERS in this game!

The depth of strategy when it comes to tactical combat easily beats any other space strategy game out there. These guys might even know their Clausiwitz and their Sun Szu (Clausiwitz was obviously an inspiration).

The ground combat is also rather complex and I haven't figured it out yet.

As for atmosphere... geesh... most people have been complaining about TOO MUCH atmosphere (the 'I don't need no stinking backstory' crowd ). I would argue that it seems to have a nice atmosphere.

What it lacks and what you're really getting at:

- GRAPHICS
- Complexity and spreadsheet-frenzy like feel

If you want to play Starcraft, that's cool. Starcraft is one of my favorite games... I won't disparage it. But this is not Starcraft, nor is this any of the more recent RTS games. I like the fact that this game his heavy on strategy and light on graphics. I wouldn't mind more graphics (they're cool), but I'd rather have the strategy.
Arnelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 00:40   #6
Killazer
Warlord

well ya the numbers of the combat system work fine... just it is incredibly boring and you have very few actual controls when you do take control. that is partly the very poor graphics, and the other part is like I said the AI just calculates and does everything for u thus no immersion, no fun.... just some crapy graphics and some set-ups to get you the best results with the numbers.
Killazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 00:43   #7
slitherin
Settler

Yep, the combat system is better but we are talking about the game mechanics and the feel of the game. No need to repeat the drawbacks on this. Also galciv will be giving a bonus pack to edit your ships, players, and techs - plaus added graphics and other goodies. I am only playing the beta 5 version but it still a vast improvement over Moo3. The final version should be awesome. Funny how Galciv is shaping to take over the Moo legacy. The only thing that made me buy Moo3 was the Moo name. Toilet paper anyone?
Old March 2, 2003, 01:32   #8
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Well, since both games are being published by Infogrames, I dont' feel so bad about buying and trying to play MoO3; hopefully it will help 'feed' the Space TBS genre a little more.

And I might have to get GalCiv too.. but I just don't know about no MP.
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 01:43   #9
Gargantua
Settler

I joined recently drengin.net as well, my impressions so far are very good, AI seems to be very agressive,so far I lost all games i played. Game feels very CIV-ish, there are things I like , and there things I dont like, for example, I do not like very much expressions in diplo screen like " We have old earth saying : 'Kiss my a**' "
It is maybe funny, but too cheesy, other than that, even in beta we are playing, there are tons of features, I've only seen the top, very addictive. Very good game, but comparison with Moo3 maybe is not quit correct, they are basically two different games.
Gargantua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 02:04   #10
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

It looks interesting, more like a "Civ in space" game then anything else i've seen. The restricting to Human thing annoys me though. Even if you can customize the humans and its "to increase the story so it feels better", I don't know. Is there a planned demo for it, or is the only way I can get by forking over cash for other games I don't want? But all that said, i'll probably get it since I love strategy, wether it'll actually compete for my time is another matter.
Old March 2, 2003, 03:01   #11
pmaura
Chieftain

from what I have heard the there is not even any graphics for gal civ combat its a pure number crunch
pmaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 04:05   #12
Tytan
Chieftain

The responses of the other Civs varies on the level of your diplomatic skill......the other diplomat is often not saying what you are hearing him say....its a bad translation because of your low technology.....

In other words if you have a low tech it sounds ridiculous, but the higher you go the easier it is to understand what is being said.

Also, Your diplomatic ability, relative to the AI, affects your messages to the AI and from the AI to you. Your effective military power, diplomatic level of relations and ethics affect it as well.

Just think, not only does it sound ridiculous to you, but it also sounds ridiculous to them too........
Tytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 06:12   #13
CharlesBHoff
Prince

In real life general donot have complete command of all combat unit on the fornt once actural fighting start. All the command decrision are make ahead of time by the sumpere commander and pass down the chain of command.
Old March 2, 2003, 07:14   #14
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 22:45
Re: GALCIV vs MOO3
Quote:
Originally posted by slitherin
I just got Galciv by purchasing the drengin.network at stardock's website. Galciv rocks! A lot of variety and ease of menus makes this a real fun game to play. Plus you can choose either to be a good, neutral, or evil empire in your actions (there are consequences!) and random events also throws you off. The ai will also kick your butt! Yes, ship designs are one track but everything else is well worth it.

Anyone willing to purchase my Moo for $30.00? Just email me at razuldazul@yahoo.com.
How did you do that?? The beta is closed, and no downloads are possible untill march 26th. The only way you could possibly download GalCiv now would be if Stardocks download program "Stardock Central" had a bug. Furthermore, Strategy First would skin Stardock alive, if GalCiv was available now. If you're gonna lie, do it so you wont get caught.

Asmodean (Galactic Civilizations Gamma tester)
Old March 2, 2003, 08:32   #15
yeem
Settler

Then again, there IS an advert for GalCiv IN my MOO3 box; obviously they want us to buy both. I was kind of suprised to see this as the general thought is that they are competitors. Maybe we can take this as a sign that the games will be complimentary titles?

Good, now I dont have to choose just one, I get the opportunity of helping the economy by spending my money on another game!

yeem
yeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 10:17   #16
MitchDev
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesBHoff
In real life general donot have complete command of all combat unit on the fornt once actural fighting start. All the command decrision are make ahead of time by the sumpere commander and pass down the chain of command.
Jesus H. Christ I am SICK of that STUPID excuse!

Newsflash: MoO3 and GalCiv are GAMES, NOT REALITY!

Besides, when was the last time you clicked a button on your computer and entire year passed in during a few seconds of processing?

Plus, a "real" supreme commander would have millions of intelligent helpers assisting in running the empire, not some weak A.I. that works from a type of script.,,

Also on the reality front, when was the last time humans actually travelled to another planet, much less another star system?
MitchDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 11:03   #17
Edan
Warlord

Re: Re: GALCIV vs MOO3
Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean

How did you do that?? The beta is closed, and no downloads are possible untill march 26th. The only way you could possibly download GalCiv now would be if Stardocks download program "Stardock Central" had a bug. Furthermore, Strategy First would skin Stardock alive, if GalCiv was available now. If you're gonna lie, do it so you wont get caught.
I was wondering that too, since I understoof that the beta was closed to new subscribers (when I had been asked by a friend if it was still available - I did recommend he check to see if subscribing to the Drengin Network would allow one to get the game, though. I have the Drengin subsctiption). However, downloads are (were?) certainly possible since I download the latest pre-gamma(ie, the latest beta that was available) version a week or two ago.
Edan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 12:54   #18
slitherin
Settler

I got lucky as their server has not closed down the galciv game in their network. I am assuming they are going to close the loophole by next week.

Right now, I am enjoying my evil empire - got my ass kicked several times by the ai ( I could not say the same for moo-moo).

I understand once the retail hits the streets, you would be able to upgrade the version that you bought on the drengin.net and get the bonus pack as well for customizing and other extra goodies.

Last edited by slitherin; March 2, 2003 at 18:47.
Old March 2, 2003, 18:34   #19
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchDev

Jesus H. Christ I am SICK of that STUPID excuse!

Newsflash: MoO3 and GalCiv are GAMES, NOT REALITY!

Besides, when was the last time you clicked a button on your computer and entire year passed in during a few seconds of processing?

Plus, a "real" supreme commander would have millions of intelligent helpers assisting in running the empire, not some weak A.I. that works from a type of script.,,

Also on the reality front, when was the last time humans actually travelled to another planet, much less another star system?
Well they are makeing game show some reality in the way their run. First in reality you control freak are going to has to learn you can total control everything in a grand strageic game which this is.
Old March 3, 2003, 10:32   #20
MitchDev
Chieftain

This game does not deserve to carry the name "Master of Orion" anywhere on it. It's an OK game, but ti is by no means a true "Master of Orion" game.

And its not a "control freak" issue, it's simple common sense issue. They squeezed the fun out of MoO1 and MoO2 and turned it into another game altogether...

And again... what does "reality" have to do with a game about space travel and alien life forms? Humans can't even reliably make it to orbit around this world and back, much less to next planet in this system, yet traveling down "space lanes" to other stars is "realistic"?

I live in "reality" every day of my life, I don't need it shoved down my throat in games too...

You are missing the whole point. But that's not really surprising...
MitchDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 11:18   #21
darcy
Warlord

Quote:
It's an OK game, but ti is by no means a true "Master of Orion" game.
Indeed. So they wanted to make something truly revolutionary, ok, but using the name of a legendary franchise as a bait was cheesy.
darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 21:05   #22
slitherin
Settler

It is unfortunate that quicksilver had led us down this road and the excuses (we were understaffed, underbudgeted) has led to all of this moo-mess. It does not take a person with average IQ to figure out what made Moo1 and 2 great and built on the concept and made considerable improvements. The quicksilver and the beta boys are now running for cover - I do hope that the sales of the game do decent business for the sake of supporting the genre of 4x games but not more as they are not deserving. They could have taken cues from Space Empires wchich is a way better game than the crap they shoveled to us. Easy access menus, building lists, empire status, upgrade of ships, ready and clear tech advancements and their prerequisites, among others - admittedly it has gone through a lot of patches - but the basic game concept of having fun and being readily to play the game was always there - now galciv is around the corner, now I know that SFI held it back to give moo3 a reasonable break as people would have bought Galciv instead of moo-moo.
Old March 3, 2003, 23:29   #23
XentWraith
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by slitherin
It is unfortunate that quicksilver had led us down this road and the excuses (we were understaffed, underbudgeted) has led to all of this moo-mess. It does not take a person with average IQ to figure out what made Moo1 and 2 great and built on the concept and made considerable improvements.
[...]
You are quite correct; I read that "reply" from the designer or whoever he was, and I thought it was quite pathetic so I did not bother to dignify it with a reply. Maybe if they were so greatly understaffed and underbudget then they should have salvaged the code of MOO2 and built on that instead of doing this -- game -- and I use that term loosely.

It is not my fault that their resources were not sufficient for producing a decent game as they wanted it to. Frankly, I don't think MOO3 is a game that feels underbudget, quite the opposite in fact. Let's face it, it was being created for 3 year or so... I'm sure quite a few people got paid a salary for those 3 years. Perhaps I am alone in the belief that game designer(s) were not sufficiently experienced to pull off a game of this magnitude, but this game feels like it went down the drain a LONG time ago... i don't get that kind of... wow if they only put this thing in and this and this, it would have been cool. No, I get the feeling of, if they DIDN'T do all these 100 things the game might have been a good one... that's not underbudget, that's just poor concept.

Whatever.

XentWraith
XentWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 14:28   #24
slitherin
Settler

You are quite correct; I read that "reply" from the designer or whoever he was, and I thought it was quite pathetic so I did not bother to dignify it with a reply. Maybe if they were so greatly understaffed and underbudget then they should have salvaged the code of MOO2 and built on that instead of doing this -- game -- and I use that term loosely.

It is not my fault that their resources were not sufficient for producing a decent game as they wanted it to. Frankly, I don't think MOO3 is a game that feels underbudget, quite the opposite in fact. Let's face it, it was being created for 3 year or so... I'm sure quite a few people got paid a salary for those 3 years. Perhaps I am alone in the belief that game designer(s) were not sufficiently experienced to pull off a game of this magnitude, but this game feels like it went down the drain a LONG time ago... i don't get that kind of... wow if they only put this thing in and this and this, it would have been cool. No, I get the feeling of, if they DIDN'T do all these 100 things the game might have been a good one... that's not underbudget, that's just poor concept.

Whatever.

XentWraith

Bullseye! I have been playing galciv beta 5 for the last four days - (must have done 40 hours already). I just have to make that one last click. The concept of evil, neutral or good alignment really matters here! I was getting my arse kicked in several times and the ai was at the fool level! You can't survive as a lone ranger here and you need trade and alliances to triumph. Can't wait til the retail version becomes available as they have done tremendous tweaks from the beta 5 version plus of course the bonus pack for editing to your hearts content. (I am not a beta-tester or a developer for galciv and I am plugging this game as it is a darn good game!)
Old March 4, 2003, 21:08   #25
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Calm down the game is great so it have afew problems. First
very few computer game nowday that are release are playable rightout of the box anymore. I beleive that the internet is somewhat the cause of this. When I start to play computer game before the internet they have to be playable right of the box or elso the company lost money.
Old March 5, 2003, 14:51   #26
wilebill
Chieftain

When I opened my MOO3 box I found the two CDROMS, the keystroke command card, the manual, and (I could hardly believe my eyes) ... and ... and ... an advertisement for Galciv?

You can get an online copy of the Galciv manual at the galciv.com site if you look around a bit. I have read the manual through twice, it is only forty or fifty pages or so as I formatted it out. This game looks like a lot of fun. Have Galciv on order.
wilebill is offline   Reply With Quote