Old March 2, 2003, 00:02   #1
Killazer
Warlord

Local Time: 20:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
AI programmed to hate you?
It seems certain species are pre-programed to hate certain others and declare war on them no matter what. While this may be explained with the backstory and all, I really dont like it very much. I dont like the game pushing me into a pre-planned alliance setup. The game just gets monotonous, as you already know who will be your ally and who will not. The whole damn game is just pre-programmed to work AGAINST the user. JEESH!

It's ok for the Ikthul to be mayb the all-vs-it-total-war-species but I DONT like every single alien race agenda and alliance structure to be pre-planned resulting in the same setup every time. Mayb I wanna be friends sometime if I try really hard, eh? The way it is now you cant be friends or even have ok relations no matter what with those speices u are pre-programmed to dislike. There should be an option in the game setup to turn storyline diplomatic views OFF.
Killazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 00:15   #2
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 15:45
So are you arguing for generic civs? Gray blobs that make up who they like and dislike randomly? That would be a giant step backwards, IMHO.

Are you sure you aren't Coracle?

CF turned to CA (Coded alliances)?
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 00:16   #3
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

The only differences which are (in the words of the strategy guide) "an insult away from a gun shot" or something like that:

- Ithkul and everyone else (including other Ithkul)
- Any Saurian race with any Itchytosian race

The Geodic/Insectoid and Etherean/Cybernetik splits are about half as bad, but they can be surmounted with a high diplomacy score and some effort.

In fact, ALL of the other dislikes ARE surmountable. I've played as a Cybernetik race and was even able to get along fairly well with one of the Etherean races, which Cybernetik races generally mutually dislike.

I'm currently playing as a Geodic race and the Humans are my best friends despite the fact that the Humanoid races have about a -40 starting negative tilt toward Geodic races.

It can be overcome.
Arnelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 00:20   #4
Killazer
Warlord

no, many races declare war on u constantly no matter what you do. Its not just icthys its a whole bunch. That is the whole problem with ppl complaining about crazy AI diplo... its because its pre-programmed and there is nothing you can do about it. You are always at war or allied with the same races.
Old March 2, 2003, 00:37   #5
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Hey... if you're not willing to consider my experiences which provide the exception to your "rule", there's not much I can do to help you
Arnelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 00:50   #6
Killazer
Warlord

ok il consider em since I havent played every possible combo but damn.... ya that game is ok but... damn just doesnt feel 'fun' Its pretty close tho... just needs something to spice it up. The game plays very well once you learn it u can finish a game in no time. But there are def problems with the strategy AI and the diplo.
Old March 2, 2003, 04:20   #7
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Arnelos is right you can do alots to change the computer atitude toward you. This is still basely MOO and MOO 2 diplomacy under the hood.
Old March 2, 2003, 13:18   #8
Booya2020
Settler

I've been able to get trade agreements out of an ithkul empire. It takes a lot of time to win another race over. Gifts and common enemies help a lot.
Booya2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 07:04   #9
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 21:45
If you work hard at being diplomatic you can easily make and keep allies. The key is to do things that they approve of and avoid actions they dislike. Once the patch makes it clearer what actions are annoying other AI civs it will be even easier.

In my present game on normal setting I have 3 enemies (one I picked on personally so it wasn't their fault) and FIVE allies with maximum trade, research and intelligence exchanges and mutual defense treaties. Only the New Orions were neutral to me before I smashed into them.

It fell apart a bit late into the game, but that was when I was bombing planets, hunting X's, colonising left right and centre and generally being a bully. Some of my allies are loving it, others have become implacable enemies because they don't like some of what I have done. Seems fair enough to me.
Old March 3, 2003, 10:13   #10
Powerslave
Settler

Local Time: 21:45
I like the fact that some species have a natural dislike for eachother.

But if you want to change this it is really not to hard. In the file Spreadsheets.mob you can change natural relations between species.
Powerslave is offline   Reply With Quote