Old March 2, 2003, 05:59   #1
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Local Time: 20:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Does anybody know what is need to settle yellow and red planets.
Does anybody yet know what tech you need to colonise yellow and red planet.
Old March 2, 2003, 06:16   #2
Cymrean
Settler

More than one colony ship... (so i heard)
Cymrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 06:32   #3
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 21:46
Two colony ships for yellow planets, four for red ones. (You could also design ships with more than one colony 'module'.)
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
lockstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 14:03   #4
sambo31
Settler

Or you can just plonk down 1 colony ship, set migration, and wait. (Migration can be set from the planets->orders tab)

I prefer to do it that way, rather than use up 2-4 ships/pods, since I wind up with "claims" staked to planets I want later, even if they won't be fully functional colonies for quite some time.
sambo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 18:51   #5
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Thank , I read somewhere on red planet you need some type of dome to live under which tech research give you. The poorly written manual is no help at all.
Old March 2, 2003, 18:58   #6
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 22:46
In my current game (which is also my first game) I colonized a yellow 1 planet with a single colony ship. The pop showed as 0.1 and I couldn't access the planetary economics screen. After a few turns (between 4 and 8) the Sitrep told me that the planet was now colonized.

Asmodean
Old March 2, 2003, 19:06   #7
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean
In my current game (which is also my first game) I colonized a yellow 1 planet with a single colony ship. The pop showed as 0.1 and I couldn't access the planetary economics screen. After a few turns (between 4 and 8) the Sitrep told me that the planet was now colonized.

Asmodean
Well I will try it.
Old March 2, 2003, 19:22   #8
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:46
Pop can migrate to the colony until it reach a full point or you could send more colony ships up to that point or make a colony ship with more bays.
Anyway the planet is not a full fledge colony until it gets a full point. Watch out for some as the pop can die and you will lose control of it, if it fall under 1000.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 00:51   #9
Academician
Settler

Local Time: 14:46
I think the population of a planet has to grow to 1000 to become a colony. That's what it took for two of my red planets to become colonies.
Academician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 01:37   #10
vmxa1
Deity

Yes I am not sure what the term should be for a planet that has been populated, but has less tha 1000 and hence not a true colony. So I am sorry that I missused the term
Old March 3, 2003, 01:39   #11
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 15:46
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Yes I am not sure what the term should be for a planet that has been populated, but has less tha 1000 and hence not a true colony. So I am sorry that I missused the term
Outpost? I've never actually used one of the "outposts" in the game, but don't they serve a similar function, though on green planets? Not sure.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 05:01   #12
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:46
Outposts serve a rather useful function in the game:

A cheap means of claiming those 5 worlds you can't really plop colony ships on just yet and the turns it takes to make 5 colony ships rather than 5 outpost ships is actually critical to stop that neighbor from getting the same planets/systems.

Emergency construction of outpost ships is especially important for Magnate Civs... if you spot one, plop an outpost ship on it ASAP. Yeah, it'll still take another 3-4 colony ships to actually use the magnate civ, but at least no-one else will take it while you're busy with other stuff (as long as you care to defend it, that is...).
Arnelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 14:04   #13
vmxa1
Deity

I have not use outpost yet, because I have not figured out what the criteria should be for grabbing a planet beyond good Greens and maybe a few very rich red/yellows.
I see lots of red planets with maybe one good feature, but should I be colonizing it? How many of those can you support before everyone starves?
In moo1 it was easy, you could not land on most at first (uless silicoid) and by the time you could they where all worth having.
In Moo2, it was easy as well as you skip those that were small and toxic (for most races), unless they had some special use. You could feed them with ease.
In Moo3, I am not sure as I have had trouble feeding all planets if I let the AI do the colonizing and run the DEA's. It will crank out a bunch of Red planets and not make Bios in planets that it could.
I need more experience to make a determination.
Old March 3, 2003, 14:21   #14
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Try manually adding your DEAs. I usually go to each new planet and queue up at least one Bioharvest on each planet. It helps when the planet's blockaded to keep your pop from starving. I let the AI colonize, too. When you explore, you can click on good planets and mark it as Send Colony Ship. When the AI takes control of a newly created CS, it'll send it there first before looking for its own planets. I haven't tried outposting to claim a magnate civ but it sounds cool and I can't wait to try it.
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 14:22   #15
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Oh, and set a development plan for biologically diverse/fertile planets to specialize in bioharvesting. That way you can have a little extra food in the coffers for trade to needy planets. You hate to have too much, at least until you run out.
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 14:24   #16
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 21:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
Emergency construction of outpost ships is especially important for Magnate Civs... if you spot one, plop an outpost ship on it ASAP. Yeah, it'll still take another 3-4 colony ships to actually use the magnate civ, but at least no-one else will take it while you're busy with other stuff (as long as you care to defend it, that is...).
IIRC, other races can also drop outpost/colony ships on a planet as long as your outpost hasn't grown into a full colony. And the first race that reaches a population of 1000 gets control of the planet - along with control of the other races' population.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
lockstep is offline   Reply With Quote