Local Time: 21:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
W=Watergate?
http://www.observer.co.uk/internatio...905899,00.html

Revealed: US dirty tricks to win vote on Iraq war

Martin Bright, Ed Vulliamy in New York and Peter Beaumont
Sunday March 2, 2003
The Observer

The United States is conducting a secret 'dirty tricks' campaign against UN Security Council delegations in New York as part of its battle to win votes in favour of war against Iraq.

Details of the aggressive surveillance operation, which involves interception of the home and office telephones and the emails of UN delegates in New York, are revealed in a document leaked to The Observer.

The disclosures were made in a memorandum written by a top official at the National Security Agency - the US body which intercepts communications around the world - and circulated to both senior agents in his organisation and to a friendly foreign intelligence agency asking for its input.

The memo describes orders to staff at the agency, whose work is clouded in secrecy, to step up its surveillance operations 'particularly directed at... UN Security Council Members (minus US and GBR, of course)' to provide up-to-the-minute intelligence for Bush officials on the voting intentions of UN members regarding the issue of Iraq.

The leaked memorandum makes clear that the target of the heightened surveillance efforts are the delegations from Angola, Cameroon, Chile, Mexico, Guinea and Pakistan at the UN headquarters in New York - the so-called 'Middle Six' delegations whose votes are being fought over by the pro-war party, led by the US and Britain, and the party arguing for more time for UN inspections, led by France, China and Russia.

The memo is directed at senior NSA officials and advises them that the agency is 'mounting a surge' aimed at gleaning information not only on how delegations on the Security Council will vote on any second resolution on Iraq, but also 'policies', 'negotiating positions', 'alliances' and 'dependencies' - the 'whole gamut of information that could give US policymakers an edge in obtaining results favourable to US goals or to head off surprises'.

Dated 31 January 2003, the memo was circulated four days after the UN's chief weapons inspector Hans Blix produced his interim report on Iraqi compliance with UN resolution 1441.

It was sent by Frank Koza, chief of staff in the 'Regional Targets' section of the NSA, which spies on countries that are viewed as strategically important for United States interests.

Koza specifies that the information will be used for the US's 'QRC' - Quick Response Capability - 'against' the key delegations.

Suggesting the levels of surveillance of both the office and home phones of UN delegation members, Koza also asks regional managers to make sure that their staff also 'pay attention to existing non-UN Security Council Member UN-related and domestic comms [office and home telephones] for anything useful related to Security Council deliberations'.

Koza also addresses himself to the foreign agency, saying: 'We'd appreciate your support in getting the word to your analysts who might have similar more indirect access to valuable information from accesses in your product lines [ie, intelligence sources].' Koza makes clear it is an informal request at this juncture, but adds: 'I suspect that you'll be hearing more along these lines in formal channels.'

Disclosure of the US operation comes in the week that Blix will make what many expect to be his final report to the Security Council.

It also comes amid increasingly threatening noises from the US towards undecided countries on the Security Council who have been warned of the unpleasant economic consequences of standing up to the US.

Sources in Washington familiar with the operation said last week that there had been a division among Bush administration officials over whether to pursue such a high-intensity surveillance campaign with some warning of the serious consequences of discovery.

The existence of the surveillance operation, understood to have been requested by President Bush's National Security Adviser, Condoleezza Rice, is deeply embarrassing to the Americans in the middle of their efforts to win over the undecided delegations.

The language and content of the memo were judged to be authentic by three former intelligence operatives shown it by The Observer. We were also able to establish that Frank Koza does work for the NSA and could confirm his senior post in the Regional Targets section of the organisation.

The NSA main switchboard put The Observer through to extension 6727 at the agency which was answered by an assistant, who confirmed it was Koza's office. However, when The Observer asked to talk to Koza about the surveillance of diplomatic missions at the United Nations, it was then told 'You have reached the wrong number'.

On protesting that the assistant had just said this was Koza's extension, the assistant repeated that it was an erroneous extension, and hung up.

While many diplomats at the UN assume they are being bugged, the memo reveals for the first time the scope and scale of US communications intercepts targeted against the New York-based missions.

The disclosure comes at a time when diplomats from the countries have been complaining about the outright 'hostility' of US tactics in recent days to persuade then to fall in line, including threats to economic and aid packages.

The operation appears to have been spotted by rival organisations in Europe. 'The Americans are being very purposeful about this,' said a source at a European intelligence agency when asked about the US surveillance efforts.

Bush will be impeached on this one, won´t he?
Old March 2, 2003, 07:24   #2
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 23:46
Dirty trick in international politics?! I AM SHOCKED, I AM ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED! I always thought that this was the realm of honesty, integrity, and fairness!

Old March 2, 2003, 07:30   #3
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Quote:
Silly boy. You talk like Dear Leader could do wrong. Obviously, Glorious and Wise Leader must be kept informed about the opinions of the Lesser leaders so He may use his Judgement to guide them to a most acceptable and fortunate solution.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old March 2, 2003, 07:32   #4
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 20:46
must...... get..... rid.. of .....dear Leader!
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old March 2, 2003, 07:53   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quickly leads DBTS off to the reeducation camps.
Old March 2, 2003, 08:38   #6
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 22:46
It is unsurprising. I think the only dirty tricks the admin will not allow are brutal intimidation and murder. The admin wants this war, and will do everything for it to happen
Old March 2, 2003, 08:44   #7
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 15:46
Are you all really this naive?

Quote:
Sure, just as soon as you tell us which part of the Constitution this violates.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old March 2, 2003, 08:51   #8
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 22:46
What part of the Constitution did Monica Lewinsky violate ?
Old March 2, 2003, 08:54   #9
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

the private parts
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old March 2, 2003, 09:12   #10
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Monica didn't violate anything. Clinton tampered with witnesses.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old March 2, 2003, 09:13   #11
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Remember, Nixon's impeachable offense wasn't the break-in, it was the cover-up that followed.
Old March 2, 2003, 09:57   #12
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Sure, he can't be impeached, but is there any law against this sort of surveillance? Even if there isn't, it would surely damage his credibility inthe UN, having to resort to special intelligence to try to win votes We've had politicians in the UK resign over less than this before.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old March 2, 2003, 12:53   #13
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:46
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
Sure, just as soon as you tell us which part of the Constitution this violates.
The part where he is required to uphold the laws of the United States. Spying on UN ambassadors is illegal.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 2, 2003, 12:56   #14
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:46
There are some curious inconsistencies with the e-mail, however. It uses the English spelling of "favourable" instead of the American "favorable," and likewise "emphasise" instead of "emphasize." Also, the date stamp is in the European format, not the American.

Smells like a hoax to me.
Old March 2, 2003, 13:34   #15
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
There are some curious inconsistencies with the e-mail, however. It uses the English spelling of "favourable" instead of the American "favorable," and likewise "emphasise" instead of "emphasize." Also, the date stamp is in the European format, not the American
They have a lame excuse for that on the site. Something about wanting to standardize spelling throughout the newspaper. Makes me weep for British journalism if this is how they routinely treat what they claim to be primary sources.
Old March 2, 2003, 15:54   #16
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

It's the Observer, what do you expect? The NY Post does a better job with primary sources.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 2, 2003, 15:56   #17
DinoDoc
Deity

I still smell a hoax.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old March 2, 2003, 16:04   #18
Paul Hanson
King

I don't get it; the spellings that you call "inconsistencies" are merely British spellings for those words. The European date stamp is used because the Observer is a British paper, and therefore European.

How do they point towards this being a hoax?

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old March 2, 2003, 16:09   #19
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Paul... the misspelling are within Quotations! Quotations mean direct quotes from the email. An American would not spell words that way.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 2, 2003, 16:09   #20
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hanson
How do they point towards this being a hoax?
Why on earth would a newspaper change the content of a primary source at all? It's either a hoax, the Observer is horribly retarded or both.
Old March 2, 2003, 18:31   #21
Paul Hanson
King

They presumably changed to spellings to be consistent, as DinoDoc mentions (BTW, I think it'd a tad daft, but it seems like a reason).

I honestly suspect that the datestamp issue is the same sort of thing, to be honest. It's probably just a case of fussiness on the part of the Observer.

As for the hoax thing, I don't know. I've never really rated the Observer very highly myself, but I don't think they'd deliberately make this sort of thing up. Not that I'm too bothered if it is true.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old March 2, 2003, 18:42   #22
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

How do American's do the date? I knwo there is the dd/mm in Britain and mm/dd in the US, but the e-mail says "Jan 31 2003 0:16". Is that not used in America? How would they write it?

Whether it is a hoax or not, the Observer, along with many British papers put the American quotes into English. I think it's been done for some time. Basically, there's the whole snobbery thing in Britain about using American spellings, so they get complaints if they do, and British people will get confused with an American date stamp. Why is it retarded that they want to change the format so that their readers can understand it?

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old March 2, 2003, 19:08   #23
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

The part where he is required to uphold the laws of the United States. Spying on UN ambassadors is illegal.
Please show me the specific US statute.