Old March 2, 2003, 18:09   #1
installationCD
Settler

Local Time: 20:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Usual Suspects
I read, with interest, most of the threads on this forum to glean any info and tips on how to play.

One particular thread that really caught my eye is the "Is anyone getting attacked by the AI".

In the few games I have played I never had any planets attacked!

I have been following this thread avidly waiting for the usual suspects to jump in and defend MOO3 to the hilt!!

No one has!

Can this really be true?

It does seem to be! Is it QS?

installationCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 19:31   #2
Malleus
NationStates
Warlord

Local Time: 12:47
Remember Ascendancy? Same game. Great ideas. No AI.

K

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.
Malleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 19:41   #3
Bill_in_PDX
Settler

I was heading down this afternoon to buy the game, but I am going to wait until I see someone post a legitimate explaination in that thread.

I could careless about MP, I want a game I can play SP, and if the AI is completely worthless in terms of agressiveness this will not be possible with MOO3.

I can't believe something like that got through the much bragged about beta testing. I hope someone in the know can post an answer in that thread.
Bill_in_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2003, 20:13   #4
CharlesBHoff
Prince

AI work is alway riskly as we donot yet know how than human being think yet, so to make than computer think we many time harder.
Old March 3, 2003, 01:42   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:47
Hey no besmerching of Ascendancy please. Bad AI and all I still liked it.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 03:24   #6
installationCD
Settler

Also I was looking over the IG forums, many people seems to concur about poor AI. I do find it difficult to believe this was never picked up?!
installationCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 16:33   #7
CharlesBHoff
Prince

The early computer game has no AI they just plain outright
cheated to give you than good game. Like Reach For The Star Vs 3 release in late 1970's or 1980's
Old March 3, 2003, 17:57   #8
Trystan
Settler

I've seen some people post that the AI works. Perhaps that is just the extreme of the variables. Some suspected that you could make changes to some of the files found in the .mob files and improve AI. Seems they set it to stay stable to much from what I heard. Not sure if they have had any luck though.
Trystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 18:07   #9
TheMaestro
NationStates
Warlord

Local Time: 15:47
I get attacked by the AI, then the war ends...they redeclare...ends...and the situation repeats itself over and over again.

Then again, one game I have going seems to be going rather well and organized. I think it really might depend on the difficulty level.`
TheMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 18:11   #10
PaulNAdhe
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:47
Are you attacked or just have war declared? That is, are enemy ships sent to your planets and you have to defend with your ships or lose the planet?

I've had war declared many, many times but never had a single warship show up - scouts and colony ships, yes but no warships.
Old March 3, 2003, 18:16   #11
Bluekkis
Settler

Local Time: 22:47
AI is quite good in MoO3 but is currently bugging and badly, with a patch or two thigs should go smoothly
Bluekkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 19:25   #12
Bill_in_PDX
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluekkis
AI is quite good in MoO3 but is currently bugging and badly, with a patch or two thigs should go smoothly
This seems to be contradictory.
Bill_in_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 03:40   #13
Bluekkis
Settler

Local Time: 22:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill_in_PDX

This seems to be contradictory.

I know...

let me explain a bit... AI makes good desisions and plays very well but has few things that currently couses weird situtations

diplomacy AI: war - peace - war - etc.
military AI: other races dosn't seem to know how to invade players planets, or perhaps that problem is elsewhere..

and other stuff like that...
Bluekkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 03:53   #14
kalbear
Warlord

The biggest problem right now is the enemy AI, and it's got two issues going with it. One is that there's an odd predilection towards building troopships. Having this ton of ground weapons floating around is nice and all, but not when it comprises 90% of your fleet. The other is that the AI doesn't seem to be particularly aggressive - it's programmed to attack only when it has very good odds, and because of the above issue it never does - so it never attacks.

It sets up damn impressive defenses on occasion, and does good tactical maneuvering, but it's not putting on enough pressure.With two exceptions, that is - the Ithkul and the New Orions. Both of these seem to know what the hell they're doing. Most efforts from modders right now are working on fixing this stuff up.

And in spite of this? It's still a damn fun game. Much better than ascendancy. Also, with spying being so powerful now, the AI doesn't need to attack you always - it can simply unrest you to tears.

Finally - in the beta, the AI was kicking ass. They toned it down to be more newbie-friendly. Perhaps that was a mistake, perhaps they toned it down too much - okay, not 'perhaps' there. Still, it points out that there's hope here. An AI that does well without cheating is quite nice...
kalbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 18:01   #15
N4M8-
Settler

Ascendancy - very pretty, very simple.

I'm not as far along the curve as most people but I have to say that I'm experiencing a better game than Ascendancy ever gave. But let me say that while acknowledging that many of the flaws of the game that have been pointed out are spot on. Still I've worked my way from disappointed to enthused and hopeful and hopefully there will be a patch to address the issues that have been raised.

Does anyone remember the patch delivery time on MoO 2?
N4M8- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 18:59   #16
kalbear
Warlord

MoO2 1.2 took a while. So did 1.3. 1.31 came out like two weeks after 1.3 - I remember everyone being so damn surprised about it.

This game is nothing like ascendancy, at least in the tediousness of it all. The AI is better; it's crippled by bad ship design right now, but fix that and things work out pretty well. There's no evil MMing every little planet you have and having to redo all the buildings every new tech you get. Ugh...just thinking about it makes me annoyed. And the ship movement deal? Arrrgh.
kalbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 21:01   #17
CharlesBHoff
Prince

When I start playing computer game there was no just thing
as AI in any game. In most games the computer didnot follow the same rules as the player have to follow. In some case the computer outright cheap to complete againt human
being back then from game design try to put than spin on it saying that was AI give me than break.