Old March 3, 2003, 18:04   #1
IRON_BRIGADE
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Who else is there to complain to about $30 bucks wasted
Ok, I know no one else that I can vent my frustriation about PTW, perhaps I can be set straight.
I puchased the game last week, after over a year of playing civ3, I thought it was time. All excited to enter the MP arena, I was blind sided by one frustration after another. I attempted to play over 20 games and only actually got in on 3. 75% of all games on gamespy are Password protected, the one or two games that are generaly open are either Eurapean version or simply someone has a connetion problem. Cant tell you how many times that happened.

Then come to find out i need to join a hooky ladder to get any action. ALL I WANT TO DO IS PLAY.

Ok, so I joined the casesladder will this get me more games?
Is the connectivity problem being addressed vigarously or oh well get to it kinda thing?
and what is the deal with the 2 versions why do that it just added to the confusion.
I am easy going, I dont complain this much but this weekend really bugged me to no end.

how can I join in more games?
Old March 3, 2003, 18:14   #2
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 16:51
find some friend who owns civ3 ptw...

Find some serious players who have the time to play civ3 PTW.

I dont know where is it, but there a thread where all people who want to play MP are invited to write her name and is country where he live....

It's hard to find some good games in the GameSpy Room... better find your players and arrange a game by yourself.

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk
Old March 3, 2003, 18:14   #3
Master Ray
Civilization III Multiplayer
Settler

Local Time: 14:51
I understand your frustrations Iron Brigade. These days most games on Gamespy are ladder games. You may want to check out our Clan at alldomination.com. We are a small group that regularly play against each other. We set up our games ahead of time on MSN, so we are in and out of Gamespy in a matter of seconds. We have started a clan ladder system that does help us know who the better players are within the clan, but it is not required. For some good games come and check us out.
Old March 3, 2003, 18:51   #4
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 17:51
You could try to look for other players in the MP forum right here at Apolyton. That's the best way to find other players and to set up games without frustration.
Old March 3, 2003, 19:14   #5
IRON_BRIGADE
Chieftain

Master Ray thats great thanks for the invite and I will check it out. I am simply a guy who is not a cocky dork that wants to indulge in games and respect the people i play with.

thank you for the invite.
Old March 3, 2003, 22:41   #6
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

Local Time: 15:51
I'm not sure what your beef is with our "hooky ladder," hehe. There are players of all skill levels and all 'intensity' levels on there. We have some 'epic length' games going (War banned until 500AD), some normal classic rules games, and some fast and dirty elim. Seems like there's something for everyone.

There's no weird strings on the ladder or anything.

(Trying not to advertise, I just genuinely am not sure what the beef is, and I'd really like to know, since as an admin of the ladder I'm in a good position to fix it.)
Old March 4, 2003, 12:02   #7
Master Ray
Civilization III Multiplayer
Settler

Local Time: 14:51
I don't believe there is anything to beef about your ladder Fried. You have set up a very successful enterprise. However it is because of this success that some of us prefer a smaller and more intimate group of people to play PTW. Do you know all the players that play on your ladder? We have members that regularly play on your ladder, so we are not in competion with each other but offer something a little different that some people may find more comfortable being a part.
Old March 4, 2003, 14:54   #8
IRON_BRIGADE
Chieftain

Let, me explain it's not the ladder that I have a problem
That is fine for those people who feel they must achieve a certain level of skill. ME, for now would be just satisfied with playing a simple game with 4 nice people that want to beat up on me.

I just found it very frustrating that the only decent game open this weekend was a 30min ladder game and they booted me out because im not a member. I guess I have been spoiled playing other games that have unlimeted opportunities of playing anytime I feel.

I joined the ladder by the way. if thats what it takes to get a game. I just need a place to vent and get answers to this problem.
Old March 4, 2003, 15:56   #9
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 21:51
I agree with Alexnm
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 4, 2003, 16:11   #10
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

Iron, contact me via the ladder page, and we can talk. I think I know just the folks on the ladder to introduce you to.
Old March 4, 2003, 18:09   #11
ToeTruck
Warlord

My most enjoyable on-line game experiences have always been with folks I know. Yea, every now and then it's good to mix it up with some anonymous gamers, but that's always hit-or-miss. You never know who you get.

As for the $30 wasted idea, any game is a real bargain, PC or otherwise. Really, 30 bucks barely gets a couple of movie showings with popcorn and all. I don't consider myself a Civ diehard, but I know I've gotten hundreds of hours in game play. That's pennies an hour!

And, yes, PTW and the first couple of Civ3 patches were buggy. I wish Firaxis had been a little more prudent in their testing. but c'est la vie.

I like what I have right now.

- TT