Old March 3, 2003, 18:41   #1
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 21:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Dual PtW installation for PBEM
Many PBEM players have now the problem, that they have games in different PtW patch levels running. Time for a dual PtW installation. Now it would be overkill to install the whole thing twice. There are, in fact, not that many files different. I checked the files by date (not binary, as I lack a tool) and found the following solution for a dual installation. It requires only about 10 or 11 MB more (for 2 ZIP files). Here's what's to do.

1) Save your HighScores.cv3, your Saves and Scenarios folders and perhaps your graphics mods and new units, if you want to keep your scores and old saves. Who wants to keep special settings, should save the Civilization3.ini and ptw.ini as well. Uninstall PtW and Civ3, if you want a clean new installation (I did). If not, start with point 7).
2) Install Civ3
3) Patch Civ3 to 1.29f (not required for PTW, but you might want to play plain Civ3)
4) Install PtW
5) Patch PtW to 1.14f
6) Restore your saves, scenarios, highscores etc., if you saved them.
7) Separate the following files out of the PtW-folder and its Text subfolder and pack them in a ZIP file (named Civ3PtW114.zip)

civ3X.bix
Civ3XEdit.exe
CIV3XEDIT.HLP
Civilization3X.exe
fpupdate.exe
jgl.dll
readme.txt
sound.dll
Text\Civilopedia.txt
Text\credits.txt
Text\diplomacy.txt
Text\labels.txt
Text\script.txt

8) Patch PtW to 1.21f
9) Separate the files mentioned above and pack them in a ZIP file (named Civ3PtW121.zip).

Now, if you want to play in 1.14f, just unpack Civ3PtW114.zip in the CIV3PIW directory (say overwrite all). If you want to play 1.21f, unpack Civ3PtW121.zip accordingly. Works for me, should work for you too.

Ah, I almost forgot the disclaimer (as Apolyton is hosted in the US, the kingdom of silly lawsuits ): You use my recommendations at your own risk.
Old March 4, 2003, 14:06   #2
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 16:51
Thanks Sir Ralph.
It would be nice if this thread were topped because it will easily get lost in the turn threads.

Oh, one thing. I believe step 3) is not necessary, as PTW patches Civ3 to 1.29f anyway.
Old March 4, 2003, 22:30   #3
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 13:51
bump?
Old March 6, 2003, 16:21   #4
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 22:51
Alex, I don't think it does.

and eugh *light bump *

Nice work SR
Old March 6, 2003, 17:40   #5
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 15:51
I can see why it was suggested that this thread be topped.

If people seriously disagree, send me a PM
Old March 7, 2003, 04:03   #6
bigfree1

Ok, I need a little help here.

I've got PTW installed with the 1.21 patch on a partitioned drive. It's on D. I want to have a second installation of PTW on C (I will keep this patched at 1.14).

The problem I'm having is when I go to install it again I cannot get around it asking me to confirm the uninstallation of the game (as it is trying to re-install).

How can I do this?

I'm running WinXP with two 40GB HD's in a RAID 0 config.

Thanks.

Old March 11, 2003, 21:58   #7
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

arggh. That's a lot of stuff.

How can I just install it twice? It won't let me do that.
Old March 11, 2003, 22:55   #8
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

actually I found an easy solution since I have two hard drives.

I just copied and pasted the folder from one hard drive to the other. simple. I should have thought of that before.

although I suppose I could even copy and paste to within the same hard drive. But that might be too confusing . I could rename the folder though...

But my D drive is 40 megs and my c is only 13.6. So I'm running out of room on my C drive anyways.
Old March 12, 2003, 00:01   #9
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Here is what I did.

1) copy the ptw subfolder to the Civ3 Folder (this will automatically be changed slightly from the original).

2) rename the new subfolder to "ptw 1_21f"

3) download the 1.2f patch and run it.

4) when asked where you want to patch, browse and select the "ptw 1.21f" and have it setup Icons in the desktop.

5) Rename the new icons to PTW 1_21f and PTW Editor 1_21f

6) Rename the old PTW Icons to PTW 1_14f and PTW Editor 1_14f

7) delete any duplicated save files from whatever ptw directory that you don't want them in.

And your done. You don't have to zip/unzip. You only need the one copy of the basic Civ3.

Before:
Civ3 --> ptw

After:
Civ3 --> ptw (old 1.14)
|--> ptw 1_21f

E_T

Last edited by E_T; March 12, 2003 at 00:07.
Old March 12, 2003, 02:31   #10
bigfree1

I used a Norton utility to back-up(not un-install) the program on one partion, then I uninstalled it, and re-installed it on another partion. Then I had the utility put the back-up into place. Pretty simple and now I have two complete intalls of the game.

Old March 12, 2003, 06:16   #11
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 21:51
E_T, your solution has the disadvantage, that you have to maintain two sets of folders, like Scenarios, Art etc. So if you apply a graphics mod or install a new scenario, you have to do it twice. Another disadvantage is, that you need substantially more disk space (well, which isn't an issue anymore, but anyway).

The zip/unzip solution avoids this. It only seems complicated, in fact it is not. I have the right-click option "Unpack here" (came with WinRAR IIRC). So the version flip takes only a right-click on the zip file, choosing Unpack here and I'm done. This lasts at most 2-3 seconds.
Old March 16, 2003, 04:36   #12
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Duplicate stuff, like senerios and the like can be removed from the older version.

As for convenience, If I want to go from 1.14 to 1.21 (or visa versa), I have to reboot because of the memory leak problem.

E_T