Old March 3, 2003, 22:43   #1
TheAmazingYant
Settler

Local Time: 20:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Conversion from Civ3
I've always been a big fan of the Civ games, and thought that MOO3 would a fairly similar experience. I expected the game to be a little more difficult, but I have quickly found myself to completley over my head. I have no clue what is going on, and I have so many questions I don't know where to start. Are there any good strategy guides out there, or is the official guide worth the twenty bucks?

And while I'm here I'll ask a few of my questions, what are good fleet compositons, as far as ship size and battle role (long range, short range, etc.)? How do you know what kind of force you're up against before a battle? All I see is the amount of ships in the task force, and nothing about how quickly it will make my ass into a hat (I've only won two battles). I know I come off kind of dumb, but after a full weekend of playing I have made little headway.
TheAmazingYant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 00:21   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:53
Sounds like you have made some headway. I would say the strat guideis of some value, but it will only be useful as a sort of reference, it will not give any play strategies.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 03:54   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 20:53
Re: Conversion from Civ3
Quote:
[SIZE=1] How do you know what kind of force you're up against before a battle?
Simple code to learn. Which is of course not documented anywhere.
IF - Indirect fire = missiles
LR - Long range = beams and particles
SR - Short Range = massdrivers and plasma
The ship size you have to look how big they are.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 06:20   #4
Ellestar
Alpha Centauri PBEMGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsDiploGames
Prince

Local Time: 00:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Simple code to learn. Which is of course not documented anywhere.

Enciclopedia -> Shipyard Screen -> Direct Fire Weapons, Missiles, Fighters. (not precisely, but good enough IMHO)

I think these settings affect how AI uses this ships (so ships with indirect fire setting would try to stay at maximum range etc.)

So you can set 'Spinal Mount Plasma Cannon' and set Indirect Fire (but beware of cloaking/ECM - set ECCM on your ship).
Old March 4, 2003, 21:29   #5
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:53
As a citizen (and former President) of the Apolyton Civilization III Democracy game, I heartily welcome you to the world of Master of Orion III

MoO3 takes a lot more patience to learn at first, but it's worth putting in the time.
Arnelos is offline   Reply With Quote