Old March 4, 2003, 16:53   #121
Ozz
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
Highly unlikely that english will become everyone's first language.
Actually due to Telecommunications , English may have a
chance to become the first world language, especially with it being the language of media and science (latin is truly a dead language since 1970) There will always be other languages people will use however to separate themselves into tribes. (Gaelic still exists)
Old March 4, 2003, 17:33   #122
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:54
Ozz... considering that the number of people that don't speak English is more than twice the number that do... Good call
Old March 4, 2003, 17:33   #123
Japher
Emperor

Forget English and French... Let's push Esperanta/o? as the language to end all contriversy. Let Babel Fall!

Seeing as I know very few French I can't say weather I hate them or not, but my first impressions have not been that good.

I still am not convinced that language has anything to culture.
Old March 4, 2003, 19:09   #124
Sandman
King

Local Time: 21:54
Jes! Oni tago, Esperanto regados mondo.
Old March 4, 2003, 19:13   #125
Japher
Emperor

Que? Is that French?

Are there any French computer companies?
Old March 4, 2003, 19:45   #126
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 22:54
Quote:
BeBro :
The big difference between cultural imperialism and acculturation is the overwhelmingness of the culture. I'm living in Stuttgart this year, where Gehwegs are called 'trottoirs", where wallets are called "portemonnaie" etc. These are the remains of a cultural imperialism, where the nobility dismissed Swabian culture as inferior and flocked to the "superior" French culture.
From what I know of Swabia, this was the best the nobility could do...

Seriously, I don´t think this is all so easy, here comes the nobility, hey, let´s become more French, and that´s it - it doesn´t work that way. And so it is not as easy to implement a master plan for cultural domination (which you seem to imply for the US).

People will use elements of foreign cultures over the long run only if they think they benefit from them.

Quote:
Also, Cultural imperialism is linked to the political attempt to impose one's culture to other communities. Maybe you don't know the agreement with Marshal's Plan included to lift ratios against American movies ? Do you remember how hard the struggle was during the latest GATT negociations between French and American government about the "cultural exception" ?
But one could easily say that this was primarily driven economically, not culturally. The entire "impose US culture" on others is a claim you still have to prove. What is the goal of this, if it is true? Can you really say McDonalds cares about culture, or do they only care about selling their stuff everwhere to get money everywhere?

Ok, you can argue that both is the case, and that US companies use cultural domination as means to reach higher profits (a la "if they think US stuff is cool they´ll buy more burgers). I wouldn´t disagree completely here, maybe some try such ways, however, as posted above, it isn´t as simple. For example, if the US cultural invasion is so overwhelming, why is there no deeper impact on people´s political beliefs in Europe despite lots of US movies that always show the US military guys on the right way (given the fact that in the current Iraq question most Euros seem to oppose the US position)? And if the cultural domination fails to reach such a goal - why should it be much more successful in other fields (when most of these fields have to do with the way people think about certain issues)?
Old March 4, 2003, 19:54   #127
Sandman
King

Estas ne Franca, estas Esperanto. Infogrames estas komputero kompanon Franca, ne?
Old March 5, 2003, 04:28   #128
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

You mean "desparately wanting to be different", right?
We are different, so much is sure. Problem is, that only says what we are not.

I guess it's quite similar to the Canadians. A good part of their national identity seems to come from not being american, a good part of ours from not being german.

Or it's just something typical kakanian - we just agree to be a nation, and as long as nobody asks about the details, it's no problem...
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old March 5, 2003, 13:30   #129
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 14:54
Part of borrowing words has to do with your own language not having a way to express the notion correctly: in a sense, borrowing words from another language gives you access to dieas your language is missing.

I don't think everyone knowing English is a bad thing, as long as English does not become primary: and as moe people learn Ebglish, the fact is that making new words will no longer be the act of native English speakers: the more international a toungue, the more international it will become, even for the native speakers.

And of course, monolinguals will still be at a disadvantage comapred to multilingualists.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old March 5, 2003, 13:38   #130
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozz

Actually due to Telecommunications , English may have a
chance to become the first world language, especially with it being the language of media and science (latin is truly a dead language since 1970) There will always be other languages people will use however to separate themselves into tribes. (Gaelic still exists)
Telecommunciations have a minimal effect compared to society.

Also how are american films being translated (with voices) into French going to "kill "anyone's language assuming (which isn't correct either) that watching a film in english is going to kill it in the first place?

As said highly unlikely.
Hopefully they'll become second language for some people. To others french will etc.
Generally it's good to know a second language.
Old March 5, 2003, 13:45   #131
Ozz
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
Ozz... considering that the number of people that don't speak English is more than twice the number that do... Good call
Actually your statics suck, more like 20:1 Saliva.

English is the language used by business and science
worldwide (ie linga franca )) that has spin offs like this forum's non-english as a first language posters.

Bonehead
Old March 5, 2003, 13:45   #132
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by DuncanK

Do you have an argument to support this or is this just a guess?
Linguistic studies have already concluded which languages are in danger of extinction and which are not.

They also do not speak about english becoming the first language of anyone not native english except some... exceptions.
Old March 5, 2003, 13:53   #133
Ozz
Chieftain

Quote:
Telecommunciations have a minimal effect compared to society.
Really, hasn't your english improved by access to this
Telecommuncations medium? I would hazard a guess
that more people as a percentage are using english
as a linga univeralus than ever used French, Latin or
Greek in paper letters in the past

Nothing to do with Hollywood or Bollywood. Science and
business drive English.
Old March 5, 2003, 13:53   #134
DuncanK
Warlord

Local Time: 12:54
Quote:

Linguistic studies have already concluded which languages are in danger of extinction and which are not.

They also do not speak about english becoming the first language of anyone not native english except some... exceptions.
And English is in danger of extinction? What language is going to replace English as the lingua franca, and why?
Old March 5, 2003, 13:55   #135
Bereta_Eder
Settler

The thing about primary language is that it is intrically interwoven whith each given society.
For example some words evenif accurately translated into abnother language will have a slightly different meaning which will be defined by the societal codes of each different linguistic group.

That's the beauty of it.
Also in some languages there are words that in others do not exist.

Another matter is this: say me whom I consider as having a pretty good handle of the english language, I still feel limits to my expression of about 60% or 70%. This means I can use english and express only about 30% of what I want the way that I want it.
Whereas in Greek that percentage is hugely higher.

Generally different langauges are cool and Greek being the oldest continiously spoken language in Europe and the richest as well, rocks
Old March 5, 2003, 13:59   #136
Ozz
Chieftain

Quote:
No language dies while somebody cares, Gaelic for
example. Its not that english becomes a "first" language
but a common tongue between peoples. Just like it
allows us to have this thread. I would assume english
is not your first language.
Old March 5, 2003, 14:03   #137
DuncanK
Warlord

Local Time: 12:54
Quote:
Another matter is this: say me whom I consider as having a pretty good handle of the english language, I still feel limits to my expression of about 60% or 70%. This means I can use english and express only about 30% of what I want the way that I want it.
Whereas in Greek that percentage is hugely higher.

Generally different langauges are cool and Greek being the oldest continiously spoken language in Europe and the richest as well, rocks
I see what you are saying. I think it's harder to express yourself with English even if you are proficient in using it. Are there more words in Greek to express yourself, or are you just able to express yourself in Greek better because it is your primary language?
Old March 5, 2003, 14:10   #138
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by DuncanK

I see what you are saying. I think it's harder to express yourself with English even if you are proficient in using it. Are there more words in Greek to express yourself, or are you just able to express yourself in Greek better because it is your primary language?
Both I think. In Greek I can think (more often than not) the exact word to describe one though or one emotion that I want to express whereas in english most of the time I have to use an approximate word or more than one words.

That can be beacuse I don't know the word in english, it doesn't exist or the specific meaning/specific feeling associated with it doesn't exist in the english speaking world. (as some might not exist in the two Greek speaking countries and Greek minorities in other countries). That's where the intricate relation between language and societal history/common experiences/specific societal codes enter into play.

That is the same with everyone talking in a foreign language which is his second I think. There are necessairily limits in expression.
Old March 5, 2003, 14:47   #139
Ozz
Chieftain

Quote:
Both I think. In Greek I can think (more often than not) the exact word to describe one though or one emotion that I want to express whereas in english most of the time I have to use an approximate word or more than one words.
You can use "foreign" words in english, that is it's
main strenght, alot of english isn't english at all ,but latin, french, and NA Indian.
Old March 5, 2003, 14:52   #140
Bereta_Eder
Settler

About 80% of verbs in English derive from Greek through Latin. That presents some "easyness" to me (although some are altered almost beyond recognision) especially in what regards medical, philosophical and in general scentific terminologies.

IMHO English as a language is quite precise but lacks somewhat in nuances.
Of course there's no language which is superior to others (yes not even Greek ) since each language serves the societal needs of each linguistic group. So they're all equal according to most linguisists.

Last edited by Bereta_Eder; March 5, 2003 at 14:57.