Old March 4, 2003, 08:40   #1
yeem
Settler

Local Time: 20:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ship re-name issue
As I have not yet mastered the proper technique of ship design, I have been letting the computer auto design my ships for me (yes, I do occasionally tweak the designs).

Ok. Once I have the design in hand I like to write over the cryptic name the game gives and give the design some sort of catchy name like the "Xenia Seeberg" class Super Dreadnought!

This so far has worked for all size classes of ships when telling the game to make LR/SR/ID designs.

However, if I have the computer design for me Recon or PD ships I am unable to alter the design name.

If you have seen this and have a good solution then I am all ears.

Thanks,
Yeem
yeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 14:13   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:56
The naming is no problem for me as I have used a system for ships since SE3 that works fine.
DE frigate DD destroyer CA cruiser BE battle cruiser and so just like USN. Then I can append other designations for things like engines, weapons and anything I want.
CA-4-anything where 4 is the engine level. It can get cryptic, but I am used to after all these years. You can append a last digit for the same configuration with a minor mod to distinguish them.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 14:50   #3
yeem
Settler

See, I dont have a problem coming up with ship names, I just cant actually do even that re-naming thing with certain classes of ships (IF I use the auto-design feature).

example...

If I have the computer auto-design for me long range, short range, or indirect fire ships (for example) I can click on the pre-made ship name on the right panel of the screen and type anything I want there.

conversely...

If I have the computer auto-design for me recon or point defense ships (for example) when I click on the pre-made ship name on the right panel of the screen and I try to type the computer beeps and does NOT take what I am typing (letters, numbers, caps, no caps nothing works).

I have seen this ONLY when you have the game auto-design the ships. If I manually design for myself a recon or point defense ship then I can name it anything I want.

I hope this clarifies my original post.
Yeem
Old March 4, 2003, 18:38   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:56
Sorry, I do not use the auto build so I can not say.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2003, 10:45   #5
yeem
Settler

No problem.

I kind of figured out what I was doing wrong last night. It is very easy to get around (and truthfully a bit embrassing). It has to do with the selection of the pre-made ship name. If you click to highlight the pre-made ship name and try to just type over it then it will delete and overwright the computer's name for the ship classes that have two letter abbreviations (lr, sr, ...).

However, if you click and highlight the pre-made ship name which has a three letter abbreviation (rec, ptd, ...) and type then the computer beeps and no text is added.

The solution is...highlight and delete the name and then you can type to your heart's content. Not really earth shattering, but for sone reason it took me quite a while to figure that out.

Notwithstanding, general computer text writing deletes and overwrites whatever you happen to have highlighted when typing. I guess I am just too efficient to hit the delete key, lol.

Yeem