View Poll Results: Your best strategy game ever?
Civ2 or 3 52 53.06%
Empire Earth 1 1.02%
Starcraft 5 5.10%
Warcraft 2 or 3 2 2.04%
Call to power 5 5.10%
StrongHold 1 1.02%
Alpha Century 21 21.43%
Other STRATEGY game 11 11.22%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 4, 2003, 09:30   #1
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 20:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Civ3....no Starcraft...ummm...Empire earth...!!!!!!!!
I was just reading the post ''Petition for Ingrams'' and it got me thinking....CivIII is a great game, but not my personnal best...I think....I just love strategy games and have lots of them...Which one IS my personnal best? I dont know!! I like tcontrolling territories and expanding but I also like detailed combat like in Empire earth where missions can last hours and hours while burning your brain cuz you think to much. So I thought I`d make a poll to see what you people think.
Between the following, which is your best game ever, and why?

Personnaly I think its Starcraft....or Empire Earth....no....Starcraft..mmmmmm....Empire ear.....ugh....!!!!!!!

Spec.

Last edited by Spec; March 4, 2003 at 09:50.
Old March 4, 2003, 09:44   #2
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

Local Time: 15:56
If you consider X-Com: Apocalypse to be strategy, then there you go. If not, I can STILL spend hours playing Masters of Magic. Honestly, though, I have an "elite tier" of games that I can still always go back to:

Masters of Magic
MoO2 (I can't go back to MoO 1 after MoO 2, too clunky.)
X-Com (Anything but Interceptor.... that could've been so much more than it was.)
Civ 2, Civ 3.

Honorable mentions:
Pax Imperia: for city-building screens. Seeing your cities grow literally from the ground up and the workers buzzing around was spiff! Horrid replay potential, and the worst diplomacy ever in a game.
Ascendancy: for best races/environmental music of races- MoO could take lessons from these guys. Balance issues were terrible though.

Notably left out: "X"-craft. These were fun, but after I played em through I was done. "Speed clicky" to win was never really my thing. Sim"whatever"... they're okay, but I guess not having clear goals sometimes bugged me. SimAnt was kinda spiffy way back in the day though.
Old March 4, 2003, 09:47   #3
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 16:56
Add the Command and Conquer series!!!

I always think Command And Conquer was really more strategic than Warcraft. You have so many option to do, fulling a APV of Engineer and destoy her base, while you attack somewhere else his base with some tanks... I never really like the speed click in the Warcraft series, even if I know Command & Conquer can be this type of game, but you can win if you play with brain.

Warcraft is a really good games... And Warcraft3 is one the best game i've ever played, but Overall Civilization is better than Warcraft... I know in 10 ten years I will play Civilization but maybe not Warcraft.
Starcraft was good, but not better than Warcraft(The storyline in Warcraft3 is so addictive).

And I forget something... SimCity is one of the few game that I know in ten years I will be playing again...

So, bonne journée!

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk
Old March 4, 2003, 09:53   #4
Spec
Emperor

Dude!! J'ai Oublie Command and Conquer!!! S'cuse!!

Anyway, I think that Starcraft is way better than Warcraft, Empire Earth A LOT better than C&C. To many options in EMPIRE EARTH. but Starcraft still comes first.

Spec.

Ciao la.
Old March 4, 2003, 13:45   #5
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:56
You misspelled Alpha Centauri.
Old March 4, 2003, 15:07   #6
CrONoS
Emperor

FNBrown... You never played the original Alpha Century??? It was good, travelled in time, place a old market in 100ad, find julius ceaser and kill him to modify the future and going to the future to see what your world is becoming... oh yeah I loved this games..

Alpha Century, it was good times....

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk
Old March 4, 2003, 15:59   #7
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 21:56
LOL I voted for Alpha CentAury
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 4, 2003, 19:05   #8
Switch
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by cronos_qc
FNBrown... You never played the original Alpha Century??? It was good, travelled in time, place a old market in 100ad, find julius ceaser and kill him to modify the future and going to the future to see what your world is becoming... oh yeah I loved this games..

Alpha Century, it was good times....
Just assuming your joking....I also voted Alpha Centauri...Although it's close between SMAC and C&C.
Old March 4, 2003, 22:21   #9
Amesjustin
NationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 13:56
Tough call between Civ2 and Alpha Centauri - I went AC because the potential alone there is just amazing I am a terrain freak, so although this game looked ugly, it had the best options available. Still play it from time to time...
Old March 5, 2003, 05:19   #10
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Alpha Centauri, here.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old March 5, 2003, 05:26   #11
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:56
What sort of infidels consider real time click skill tests to be strategy? Ban them!
Old March 5, 2003, 10:58   #12
CrONoS
Emperor

no i was kidding about Alpha CentUry...

Some of my friends said to me that Alpha Centaury was better than the civ series...

Old March 5, 2003, 12:03   #13
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Alpha Centauri IS much better than any civ game
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 5, 2003, 14:13   #14
CrONoS
Emperor

datajack:

So I wish there will be a Alpha Centaury 2.

I will play real soon to Alpha Centaury, so many people told me that's better than Civ!

And for CTP, is it better than Civ and Alpha Centaury?

Old March 5, 2003, 17:27   #15
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 22:56
CTP? Bleahhh...

Where is MOO, Caesar3, X-COM or AoK btw?
--Woody Allen
Old March 5, 2003, 19:28   #16
Switch
Prince

Cronos, I'm with you on that SMAC2...oh, I can hardly wait...
(assuming InfoG let's them, anyway... )
Old March 5, 2003, 21:39   #17
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:56
From the list I still think that CTP2 had a lot of promise, and I loved every aspect of the game - except for the resyncs/crashes Even the CTP2 mods are far from perfect, but with these mods (see CTP2 forum), the game still has a lot fun/strategy in it...now if we can only get the code for it!
Old March 7, 2003, 11:27   #18
Ancyrean
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:56
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I would also say Alpha Centauri...

I really I love the Civ series but I dont think there's any turn-based strategy game comparable to SMAC in terms of game/unit/diplomacy/social engineering-ideology/terraforming flexibility...

I sometimes wonder if Firaxis didn't implement into Civ3 most of the aspects that made Alpha Centauri so unique, just because they didnt want to "Alpha Centaurise" the Civ series (if I may invent the term )
I mean, maybe they didnt want to make Civ 3 seem like SMAC 2...

I love Civ3 but I also want my SMAC 2
Old March 7, 2003, 12:02   #19
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 17:56
SMAC, hands down.

Maybe RoN could be a pretender to the throne, though...
Old March 8, 2003, 20:56   #20
Kadota
Settler

Strange....those fools at the Warcraft forum think that that game is best.
Old March 9, 2003, 05:38   #21
Switch
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Kadota
Strange....those fools at the Warcraft forum think that that game is best.
They have yet to be enlightened

Shall we...enlighten them?

[EDIT]On topic...
Hmm, almost 60% for Civ2/Civ3.
/me wonders how many are actually voting for Civ3 rather than Civ2...
Old March 9, 2003, 10:47   #22
Chilean President™
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Deity

CIV 3 is the best, but clearly CIV 2 gave me years of entertaiment.

I also believe that Empire Earth is a wonderful game (besides the really complicated battles).

Command & Conquer Red Alert 1 is an excelent game too. (but C&C Red Alert 2.. )
Old March 9, 2003, 16:44   #23
CrONoS
Emperor

chilean: Yes C&C: Red Alert 1, was one of the best strategy I've ever played. MultiPlayer in Red Alert was so fun... I always love Warcraft for his Single PLayer rather than his MP...
I always hate losing 'cause someone are doing more mouse click than me...

But the civ series are just so good... I've just bought Alpha Centauri... yeah i'm know i'm late! My first impression are positive!!

au revoir,

Last edited by CrONoS; March 10, 2003 at 00:02.
Old March 9, 2003, 23:42   #24
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

RTS games are closer to FPS games than TBS games like Civ3. So this whole poll is kinda weird. If you included Turnless MP Civ3 in the RTS group, it would hands down be one of the worst. But if you consider the Civ series where in belongs (in TBS), then it reigns supreme, IMO.

Alpha Centauri deserves an honorable mention because it is easily one of the coolest games I've ever played. The gameplay in Civ2/Civ3 is arguably better, but I'll always remember SMAC more fondly because of the eery Sentient Colony (Base?) clip, or the hilarious Longevity Vaccine one.

Dominae
Old March 10, 2003, 09:22   #25
theNiceOne
Warlord

I think two very good strategy games are missing from the poll, the two Total War games. Shogun: Total War and Medieval: Total War are excellent strategy games. They combine the turn-based building and strategy found in civ with the (IMO) best real-time combat that can be found.
Old March 10, 2003, 11:18   #26
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
RTS games are closer to FPS games than TBS games like Civ3. So this whole poll is kinda weird. If you included Turnless MP Civ3 in the RTS group, it would hands down be one of the worst. But if you consider the Civ series where in belongs (in TBS), then it reigns supreme, IMO.

Alpha Centauri deserves an honorable mention because it is easily one of the coolest games I've ever played. The gameplay in Civ2/Civ3 is arguably better, but I'll always remember SMAC more fondly because of the eery Sentient Colony (Base?) clip, or the hilarious Longevity Vaccine one.

Dominae
I preferred the one for self-aware machines....

I swear...sometimes I think they're watching me....
- Dock Worker,
Morgan Metagenics
Old March 10, 2003, 12:53   #27
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 22:56
None of the above...
Only Civ1/2/3/SMAC has something to do with strategy... the others are just build-an-army-ASAP-and-attack
The best strategy game ever made, os The Settlers II - Veni Vidi Vici...
Old March 10, 2003, 13:24   #28
Gunnar Thor
Chieftain

*Looks at options. Brain explodes.*

Well, among the best I've played are

Starcraft
Civ II
Alpha Centauri
Ufo - Enemy Unknown

Still deciding on Civ III, wether it belongs in that group I mean.
Old March 10, 2003, 16:13   #29
thinkingamer
Warlord

Local Time: 12:56
this poll is messed up... civ2 along with civ3???

anyway, i vote SMAC. why?

civ2: well.... unless if u r talking about senarios, SMAC is better than civ2 at least as much as Starcraft is better than Warcraft2. Note:and i don't like Sci-fi stuff.

Civ3: i really want like this game, but its broken... why? one example: saving money to buy tech instead of researching.....bah! i give up this game.
Old March 12, 2003, 12:13   #30
Danath
Spanish Civers
Settler

Hi!
Well, I hate C&C series, all of them are the same game, and have too stupids things (a tank need more than 3 shots to kill a single soldier? the soldier runs more? A missile of 8m for killing infantery? (Red Alert) LOL)
The craft series are semi-arcades, not very strategic, but funny.
X-Com... didnt like it, I prefer the 1st, UFO.
Where is Panzer General??
Im in the line of theNiceOne: Total War is great! (but no good multiplayer )