Old March 4, 2003, 11:18   #1
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 15:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
New World of Warcraft Gameplay video
Pretty dang impressive. Its been a while since their last update, and this one is certainly worth the wait. Its not very long, but still, its quite impressive.

My personal fave, other than the giant, is that sheathed weapons are shown directly on the character. Looks like a good variety of weapon and armor art and types too.

Only problem is. . . the game won't be out for probably another year.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.net/wow/movies/
Old March 4, 2003, 13:34   #2
tniem
King

Downloading now...
Old March 4, 2003, 14:55   #3
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 20:56
Gameplay?

I think you mean acted scenes. They don't show you all the dude speak and powerleveing that will make up the real gameplay*

*I don't actually know what the gameplay is like, but I assume it's pretty much just an EQ clone with quicker action to suit the warcraft fans.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 4, 2003, 18:27   #4
Kc7mxo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
Gameplay?

I think you mean acted scenes. They don't show you all the dude speak and powerleveing that will make up the real gameplay*

*I don't actually know what the gameplay is like, but I assume it's pretty much just an EQ clone with quicker action to suit the warcraft fans.
Well, an unfortunate side effect of playing with lots of people you don't know is that they may simply diagree with you as to what is fun.

Hopefully blizzard will have a roleplaying server like DAOC's guinavere. And also hopefully, they won't give up moderating it when it becomes difficult like DAOC seems to have.
Old March 5, 2003, 06:24   #5
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 21:56
Hehe 1000's upon thousands of people still play Diablo2, and that is ooooooold now. WoW will have similar appeal I am sure.......if you don't like the MP environment fine (I partially agree, it can be trying at times), but the gameplay will be such that many 100,000s worldwide will play online.
Old March 5, 2003, 07:13   #6
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 13:56
market. flooded. with. too. many. MMORPGs.
Old March 5, 2003, 11:11   #7
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MRT144
market. flooded. with. too. many. MMORPGs.
I've only seen three new ones that I think have a prayer of sucess in this environment: Star Wars, WoW, and City of Heroes.
Old March 5, 2003, 11:29   #8
Kc7mxo
King

The MMORPG market is still in a growth stage, so there really isn't such a thing as too many. Of course, there may be too many bad ones coming out lately.

But the more competition, the more likely we are to see some new ideas.
Old March 6, 2003, 02:32   #9
pg
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
Gameplay?

i hope the gameplay(read: combat) is good. if it's not at least a level beyond everquest style combat i won't even be interested. a mmorpg with good skillful combat is something i've been waiting for. eq combat does require some interesting tactics, i've heard, though how involved it actually is to enter a dungeon or manipulate monsters i don't really know. when i played eq(right when it launched yrs ago) it was pretty one dimensional in combat, but i did quit after a few months and only managed to get to level 20. any eqers want to explain the skill involved in eq style combat?
Old March 6, 2003, 02:37   #10
Kc7mxo
King

Quote:
i hope the gameplay(read: combat) is good. if it's not at least a level beyond everquest style combat i won't even be interested. a mmorpg with good skillful combat is something i've been waiting for. eq combat does require some interesting tactics, i've heard, though how involved it actually is to enter a dungeon or manipulate monsters i don't really know. when i played eq(right when it launched yrs ago) it was pretty one dimensional in combat, but i did quit after a few months and only managed to get to level 20. any eqers want to explain the skill involved in eq style combat?
well, I've never played eq, but i was in camelot for a a while, and wasted a couple months paying for ac2 also.

MMORPGS have certainly advanced a good bit since eq was released, but the basic system is still similiar.

As a warrior:
Target baddy. Hit the attack button. Your character engages. During combat you have option to use certain skills / special moves which affect your attacks.

One of the things I liked about DAOC was that when you die, your body hangs around for someone to rez (unlike in ac2) but if no one rezzes you after a set amount of time (based on your level) or you type /release ; you get sent back to your spawn point, with all your possesions and gold. Death effects are a loss in constitution which can be regained by paying a healer, and a exp loss. A gravestone is also left where you died, and if you return to it and pray, you can get some exp back.

Corpse runs are about the only thing that has kept me from purchasing EQ.
Old March 7, 2003, 14:04   #11
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 16:56
So this is going to be like a MM Diablo?

Click a lot, then click some more, then click on pther people, then click, click, click, click . . .
Old March 7, 2003, 14:24   #12
pg
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Kc7mxo
well, I've never played eq, but i was in camelot for a a while, and wasted a couple months paying for ac2 also.

MMORPGS have certainly advanced a good bit since eq was released, but the basic system is still similiar.

As a warrior:
Target baddy. Hit the attack button. Your character engages. During combat you have option to use certain skills / special moves which affect your attacks.

One of the things I liked about DAOC was that when you die, your body hangs around for someone to rez (unlike in ac2) but if no one rezzes you after a set amount of time (based on your level) or you type /release ; you get sent back to your spawn point, with all your possesions and gold. Death effects are a loss in constitution which can be regained by paying a healer, and a exp loss. A gravestone is also left where you died, and if you return to it and pray, you can get some exp back.
this sounds almost exactly like eq. maybe at higher levels it is more involved and skillful but basically it seems you just go through your set pattern which works best(and heal/rest/run as necessary). higher level planning in tactics/strategy doesn't seem required. basically stale combat where you don't have to react at all or be challenged.

Quote:
Corpse runs are about the only thing that has kept me from purchasing EQ.
this is the reason i quit eq. i somehow managed to either get trained(this is when a bunch of monsters chases another player) by someone in a dungeon i was traveling by(which was much too high level for me) or the monsters just came from no where. i never was able to get back my corpse. no one could find it or it disappeared(this seems more likely). the gms weren't helpful either. i just said **** that since i'd spent a few months working my way up and had just purchased a full set of all player crafted armor(which was a big deal back then).

Last edited by pg; March 7, 2003 at 14:33.
Old March 7, 2003, 15:20   #13
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Ah yes, I remember all those long afternoons wasted running through pitch-black forests spaming the corpse summon command.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 7, 2003, 16:25   #14
Kc7mxo
King

Quote:

Click a lot, then click some more, then click on pther people, then click, click, click, click . . .
I doubt it. MMORPGS have a LOT less clicking than d2 does. most of them use the A-W-S-D movement system (with Q and E for turning in some), and the mouse just controls where you look, or what direction you're going.

I never broke a mouse playing daoc. d2 on the other hand. . .

Quote:
pitch-black forests
I hate night time in mmorpgs. does it have to be so pitch fricking black? In ac2 I had to turn the gamma up so high in dungeons so I could see the monsters that all the icons turned this awful faded white color.

WOW is supposedly just going for more of a pallete change with their night time, rther than reducing vision by a crippling amount.
Old March 7, 2003, 16:27   #15
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Camelot's night time isn't bad... except in certain zones like muspelheim.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 8, 2003, 18:29   #16
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Felch X

Gee, you make it sound like a bad thing...
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old March 8, 2003, 22:05   #17
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 16:56
It's an addictive game, but the clicking gets awfully repetitive.