Old March 4, 2003, 14:30   #1
Tyranny#12
Settler

Local Time: 15:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Question: HFoG and Empire-Research
Originally I had "Quick" in the title, then realized it might not be that easy to answer.

One thing I haven't noticed is how I can tell two things. The first is I can't seem to find an obvious indicator of how bad my HFoG is at any given moment - I've heard people complaining how bad it is (and indeed, I've tweaked it down for the AI as I know how to fix it and they don't) but I can't seem to see where they can tell how bad it is. So where can you see it?

Secondly, I'm curious what the effects of empire level research grants are, and how strong are they? Does this allow me to place more AUs into research on a planetary level without reducing the effectiveness (1:1, 2:1, 3:1, etc, the colors) or does this add somewhere else?

Finally, what is the direct correlation between the value of the research slider and the use of my Research DEAs?
Tyranny#12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 14:35   #2
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 12:57
Re: Question: HFoG and Empire-Research
Quote:
Originally posted by Tyranny#12
The first is I can't seem to find an obvious indicator of how bad my HFoG is at any given moment
What is HFoG?
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Togas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 14:41   #3
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 22:57
Re: Re: Question: HFoG and Empire-Research
Quote:
Originally posted by Togas

What is HFoG?
Heavy Foot of Government
Proteus_MST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 14:55   #4
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 14:57
As for your first question. You can check yur HFoG in the Victory screen. Just click on tab labelled Victory on the bottom of the screen, and select your empire for analysis. It gives you the exact HFoG number.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
The diplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 16:27   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:57
Re: Question: HFoG and Empire-Research
Quote:
Originally posted by Tyranny#12
Finally, what is the direct correlation between the value of the research slider and the use of my Research DEAs?
Research works the same as production. If you have 20 capacity in your labs on a planet you get 20 research for the first 20 AUs spent. The next 20 research cost 40 AUs, the next 20 cost 80 AUs, etc.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 17:24   #6
Tyranny#12
Settler

Thanks for 1 and 3 (:

Is there a specific way to see how much research I'm getting out of a research treaty? Haven't delved into those txt files yet.

Also, still curious if anyone knows what global research spending (empire level) does, specifically.
Tyranny#12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 17:48   #7
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 20:57
I believe it is used to fund researching on your planets, if they aren't able to get the money out of the grant the cost comes straight out of the planet's income/bank.

Same for military grants and the regular(economic - ie. DEA) grants.

I'm still trying to figure out the economic side of the game, though. The difference between the money available and the actual treasury amount is confusing me greatly.

Do It Ourselves
General Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2003, 21:01   #8
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Togas,

HFoG = Heavy Foot of Government = Corruption/Waste from the Civ games

That's an oversimplification, but that's basically what it is. HFoG goes up for more oppressive gov types and higher oppresometer settings. It gets applied to every "transaction" made with your funds. It's the percentage of funds lost in all of those transactions.

In effect, HFoG is what's there as a slight (very slight) incentive to lower the imperial taxes so that money is getting HFoGed when taxed, then HFoGed again when given in grants to a planet.

The IDEA is that it's more efficient to have individual planets have higher taxes and control of their own funds than for the taxes to mostly be collected by the IMPERIAL treasury and then given back to the planets in grants (due to the cost of having a bureaucracy to do this).

So, basically, it encourages what in American politics we might call "fiscal conservatism" Don't take too heavy of a hand in the market or you'll just make it less efficient.

On the converse side, taxing everything to the imperial treasury and then handing back out in grants gives you more control at the imperial level and ensures that more funds are spent on world that are more cash strapped (as the "grants to planets" slider is weighted toward assigning grants to cash-strapped planets).

Neat, eh?
Arnelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2003, 09:31   #9
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 22:57
:bow:
No system tax!