Old March 4, 2003, 23:20   #1
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 13:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Outpost
I have heard of this game, but can't seem to find a place that either has it or will sell it.

The reviews are mixed. some say it sucks big time, and some say it's great.

anybody know where I can get it?

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old March 5, 2003, 00:38   #2
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 15:59
Don't know where you can get it - but I used to have a copy. It wasn't fun. It was like a bad version of SimCity in space.

It is widely considered one of the worst games ever.
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old March 5, 2003, 00:39   #3
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by MacTBone
Don't know where you can get it - but I used to have a copy. It wasn't fun. It was like a bad version of SimCity in space.

It is widely considered one of the worst games ever.
Now I know why it sounded familiar.

I agree with you.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 5, 2003, 06:20   #4
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 21:59
I remember playing a demo of this; it was awful. Since I loathe Sim games that shouldn't put you off in itself, but unfortunately IIRC the reviewers agreed.
Old March 6, 2003, 11:31   #5
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 14:59
I was really excited when I got this game, but it turned out to be the worst game I ever bought.

The game was heavily hyped before it came out. It was supposed to be the next Master of Orion or something. When it finally did appear, it was horrible. There was something wrong with almost every aspect of it.

The best thing about it was the box, which makes sense, because none of the features or images on the box even appeared in the game.

A huge rip-off.
Old March 6, 2003, 12:17   #6
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

What's is about?
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 7, 2003, 02:33   #7
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 04:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Re: Outpost
Quote:
Originally posted by Father Beast
I have heard of this game, but can't seem to find a place that either has it or will sell it.

The reviews are mixed. some say it sucks big time, and some say it's great.

anybody know where I can get it?
Underdogs had it up for a while but it looks as though they've taken it down because of the IDSA thingy.

I'll just quote a bit of their review ...

Quote:
Now you have a chance to find out just how bad the game really is. Be warned, though: this Real Dog IS much worse than you think.
Quite frankly, with all of the utterly atrocious reviews (and please don't ban me for this Mark ) I'd dl and try an oldwarez version first, before trying to aquire it legally and then only if you don't absolutely loathe the sight of it.

Outpost2, on the other hand, rates a bit more highly ...

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.ph...ivided+Destiny
Old March 7, 2003, 05:32   #8
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Shamefully I too bought this game. Why? I dunno now.

Its probably still around here someplace, probably right next to Aegis: whatever that I got with my 1x cd-rom

I played I think one game fully and put it down. Blah

Didnt they release an Outpost 2? Bet that was a good one.
Old March 7, 2003, 15:49   #9
MBD
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:59
I bought it, and still have it here somewhere. The graphics are pretty good, but the game sucks. Your people will begin dying about fifty turns into the game, and I could never find a way to prevent it. When they're all dead, you lose the game.
Old March 7, 2003, 16:28   #10
Kc7mxo
King

This game definetly competes with Battlecruiser 3000 for worse game ever title in my book.

I borrowed the game from a friend because I'd heard it was cool, but he said it was awful. I open it up and had some fun. And then I realized that 85% of the features mentioned in the manual weren't in the game. But were NEEDED to make a working outpost. . .

what a POS.
Old March 7, 2003, 17:26   #11
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Kc7mxo

And then I realized that 85% of the features mentioned in the manual weren't in the game.
And the other 15% didn't work right.

I'm surprised I haven't heard about an open source game project based on the Outpost manual alone. Would probably be fairly interesting.
Old March 7, 2003, 18:10   #12
MBD
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:59
At least one game magazine gave it a great review (like 93%) though, which makes you wonder who's buying off whom.
Old March 8, 2003, 11:29   #13
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MBD
At least one game magazine gave it a great review (like 93%) though, which makes you wonder who's buying off whom.
I never trust game magazine reviews. Usually you read the review, turn the page, and there's a two page ad for the game that was just reviewed. Conflict of interest, perhaps? Even for a "bad" review, I usually get the impression they're soft-selling just how bad it is.
Old March 8, 2003, 11:50   #14
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 04:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Outpost is odd. Before release, it got some raving previews, but the final version turned out to be a dog. Patches eventually fix it, but it was too late.
Old March 8, 2003, 12:07   #15
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Game magazine reviews... I remember a 10/10 given to Crono Cross and a 4/5 to Black&White

pfui
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 8, 2003, 13:17   #16
Kc7mxo
King

how bout the force commander debacle? every website gave it raving previews. . . and then it comes out and its worthless trash. of course, them telling everyone in their review didn't help the poor saps who'd preordered it because of all their damn previews.

i'm just glad to say i didn't. . . .

and don't even talk about B/W. gawd what a waste of money. . . I'm still pissed off about that game.
Old March 8, 2003, 15:28   #17
Father Beast
King

Ok, the general consensus id that it really sucked. It really says something that I can't even find a demo available anywhere on the net.

A friend got me a copy of outpost2, but I haven't gotten into it yet. looks like a standard RTS to me, at first glance. and the tutorial system sucks....

If someone knows where I can get a demo, even, let me know.

On a related topic (not worthy of its own thread) I've been playing a lot of Millenium: return to earth lately.
You know, the one where you have to colonize the entire solar system from the moon in order to terraform the Earth again.

I had a notably difficult game where the entire inner system is useless (except for the asteroids, of course), and only two mildly useful planets in the Jovian system. the resource which only occurs on one world was on a moon of Neptune!! of all things. I guess I could be glad it wasn't on Charon....

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old March 8, 2003, 17:57   #18
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 16:59
I have Outpost 1.5 and Outpost 2. Not exactly great games- very dated graphics, and not very fun. I'd rather play M.A.X. anyday!

But I'd be willing to sell 'em if your curiosity gets the better of ya.
Old March 8, 2003, 20:48   #19
Zkribbler
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Datajack Franit
What's is about?
You're in charge of a small group of colonists who go to a distant solar system and colonize one of the planets there. The environment is hostile, so your colony is build underground.

I was one of the few who enjoyed the game...actually, it was more like a toy than a game because it had no real point. Like the Sim games, there's no objective. Lots of people hate that.
Old March 8, 2003, 22:19   #20
Kc7mxo
King

Quote:
I was one of the few who enjoyed the game...actually, it was more like a toy than a game because it had no real point. Like the Sim games, there's no objective. Lots of people hate that.
actually, lots of people hate broken game play and a manual that flat out lies about what features are actually in the game.
Old March 8, 2003, 23:20   #21
HolyWarrior
Prince

There was also a card game published by TimJim games by that name, which is now sadly out of print.

Old March 8, 2003, 23:21   #22
mactbone
Prince

I also seem to remember having no idea why I couldn't build certain structures - I also couldn't figure out what most of the stuff was. I'm not completely sure but this may be because I think I bought the game when it was just on CD (manual in a pdf).

Anyways, when it sits on most "Worst Game Ever" lists, you really have to think something was wrong.
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old March 9, 2003, 00:22   #23
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by HolyWarrior
There was also a card game published by TimJim games by that name, which is now sadly out of print.
That looks sort of cool. Anybody played it?
Old March 10, 2003, 04:12   #24
Richard Bruns
King

Outpost was one of the first computer games I ever played. My parents got it for me as a Christmas present back in 1995, shortly after we bought our first computer. I actually had quite a bit of fun with it, and was able to build up nice thriving colonies and eventually win the game by launching off another colony ship.

I never had any problems with anything not working. As long as you quickly build up every structure you need, you´ll do fine. The manual has a pretty clear list of what you need to do. There was one game where everyone started dying, but I realized that it was because I had forgotten to build storage tanks, which meant that the atmosphere generators had no supplies.

I only found out later that it was supposed to be a bad game. Maybe my parents somehow got some kind of patched version that fixed the bugs.