Old March 12, 2003, 11:36   #31
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 20:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sorry if I've missed something, but what version is this?

I know it is regular Civ3 - but is it patched up to v1.29f?

/edit: I've downloaded the saves and I'll play from 3950BC later this evening (I'm at work now).
I'll save at 950BC to compare with the Mountain Sage original and try to work up a comparitive AAR (which might take a few days).
Should be interesting to see how I do since I usually play Monarch.

Last edited by FrustratedPoet; March 12, 2003 at 12:00.
Old March 12, 2003, 11:50   #32
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 21:59
I still find 1 worker per city a bit much when I am industrious. I often go down to 0.5-0.75 +slaves. I have to add that I still play at monarch, maybe I need more workers at emperor. I will find out, just have to finish my current game first. My next game will be at emperor.
Old March 13, 2003, 04:34   #33
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

bongo and FrustratedPoet,

About Workers: I (almost) always build 1 Worker per city, usually it'is my 1st unit. The goal is to improve 3-4 tiles asap, without moving Workers from city to city.
After that, Workers expand the road network outwards (not necessarily useful if you're on a small continent/island, I agree). This helps tremendously on Pangea for Settlers/luxuries/resources (even for early wars!). It also helps a lot if you have jungle.
Then, when I plan to settle another continent, I bring some Workers with me.
Lastly, with 1 Worker/city (as industrious), all tiles will be improved by Steam Power, so all my Workers can build RR.
And finally, polluted patches get 'de-contaminated' in 1 turn (this is why I never build Mass Transit).

Bongo: slave-keeping is outlawed in my game, by direct order of Her... Joan of Arc.
The version is v1.29f. No jungle this time.

Germany? up to now, AD 550 (more or less), I'm 3 turns away from Theory of Evolution, then I'll go for Hoover Dam (pre-built Palace already started), the Germans are as meek as lambs since I feed them every couple of turns a world/territory map.

As I will play only up to the UN, if the Germans come with Panzers I will be only a few Techs before the end, but you're right, I should beware. Maybe I'll go to war (nominally, of course!) with some distant civ, and enroll them to fight for me. It will keep them occupied

I know I'm a bit crazy, but I would like to finish this game with my actual Military (2 Spearmen and 1 Galley). I'll let you know of course, and I will post another save this week-end.
Old March 13, 2003, 09:03   #34
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

I finally got to take a look at your saves. What impressed me the most was the size of your army!! I had the impression that the AI will go after you very quickly if you are too weak. How do you manage to keep them away? Are you a super-diplomat or what!

I always take slaves, lots of them As a matter of fact I have never built more than 4 workers in any of my game.
Old March 13, 2003, 10:09   #35
Mountain Sage
King

bongo,

Try to get some slaves with my 'army'?

In my case, you could go to war only after Map Making, which means you'll lose too many turns without terrain improvements with only 4 Workers.

Frankly, I don't know if I am a 'super-diplomat' but, yes, diplomacy is essential in this kind of game.

Theseus,

I just went thru cracker's masterwork and I stand
I owe you one...
Now I understand why I thought Emperor was so difficult

I'll go back and re-work lots of terrain improvements. At least with the French it will be quickly done...
Old March 13, 2003, 10:44   #36
bongo
lifer
Emperor

I have no limit on how many workers I can build, it just so happens that by the time I have built my fourth worker I'm already beating my neighbours to a pulp and therefore get enough slaves so I don't have do build workers myself anymore.
Old March 13, 2003, 23:52   #37
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 16:59
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Sage
How can you improve happiness with more Workers? I don't need more of them, they're outpacing the cities' growth anyway. In 370AD they finished improving every single tile.
By getting rid of unhappy citizens. At 10 shields, I don;t really worry about OVERbuilding Workers... when ready, just join them to newer cities for faster growth.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old March 14, 2003, 04:15   #38
Mountain Sage
King

Theseus,

As I understand, I build a Worker in a city and an unhappy citizen becomes the newly-build Worker. Then the Worker is added to another city for faster growth.
Fine, I take your point.
But then, my first city will produce less shields and gold until it's up to its former size and I can add the Worker to another city only if I have food enough to feed the increased city size. Correct?
So Worker transfert becomes the 'great equalizer' in respect of city size, specially if you're not expanding any more.
But then, you should not do do this to all your cities, since you want some city with maximum production for Wonders.
Mmmm... a fine line. Anything I missed? And many thanks
Old March 14, 2003, 05:02   #39
bongo
lifer
Emperor

I don't think that producing a worker to get rid of an unhappy citizen is smart. As you said, you loose some production. Producing a worker to get rid of an entertainer may be smarter as you don't loose a productive citizen.

Edit: Theasus, I read your post one more time and found that I missed some finer point of your worker strategy. Build the workers needed to do the job, when their services are no longer needed, join them to a city. The cost of bringing a citizens out on the field to improve something is just 10 shield.
Old March 14, 2003, 09:20   #40
Mountain Sage
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
MS, some highlights looking at the first 950BC save:

Waaait a minute...

I just did max trading... this is heavily modded, yes?

I will say that whatever the mod is, it gave AI Egypt the ability to do incredibly well from a crap start... anybody involved in the AU Mod, you gotta check this out.

Theseus,

I believe I missed not only an episode, but the whole book. Can you direct me to a thread explaining what a mode is and what it does?
And I thought I was just playing Civ3 bought in a store + the v1,29f patch....
Well, so much to learn...
Old March 14, 2003, 10:30   #41
bongo
lifer
Emperor

Have you turned on accelerated growth? The food-boxes look 'funny'...
Old March 14, 2003, 13:54   #42
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by bongo
I don't think that producing a worker to get rid of an unhappy citizen is smart. As you said, you loose some production. Producing a worker to get rid of an entertainer may be smarter as you don't loose a productive citizen.
It is situational. If the next citizen is going to make the city go into unrest as it often does at Emp/Deity, you lose the production anyway. If you do not have the luxs or other means to placate the pop, you have to keep the numbers down.
Old March 17, 2003, 08:09   #43
Mountain Sage
King

bongo,

Maybe it's all the irrigation... care to post a screenshot and comment it? Now you have me puzzled...

In my parallel game (real warmonger) I replaced lots of irrigation by mines. I must admit production IS better, but I have other worries. The Egyptians are down and I attacked the Germans. Gee! I never had a military of 60+ Cavalry.
Arrian's Gimini Cricket is on a very slippery slope
Old March 17, 2003, 09:51   #44
bongo
lifer
Emperor

Here is a capture of one of your cities.

Hope this works, it's my first file attachement...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	tours370ad.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	39806  
Old March 17, 2003, 09:58   #45
bongo
lifer
Emperor

Here is a city from one of my own games. The size is equal and the tech-level is roughly the same. Note that the food- and production-boxes have twice the number of lines in my city than in yours. From what I remember in the manual thats exactly what 'accelerated production' does but I have never tried it myself so I'm not 100% sure.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	odessa1525ad.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	39807  
Old March 17, 2003, 16:47   #46
badams52
King

Local Time: 12:59
bongo,

having played both, looks like Mountain Sage is playing with accelerated growth.
Old March 18, 2003, 16:29   #47
Mountain Sage
King

Hi everybody,

Now you got me baffled....
First Theseus tells me I am playing with a heavy modded game...
Now you come with 'accelerated growth'...
My production on the Governor's screen for growth is 'sometimes'.
What's going on???
And I thought I just bought a plain Civ3 game + v1.29f patch
Old March 18, 2003, 17:55   #48
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 13:59
"Accelerated Production" is an option that appears on the last of the game set-up screens (I think just above the difficulty level choice). It halves the amount of food needed for population growth and the number of shields needed for building projects (perghaps also the cost of tech advances?). See how in your city's screenshot only 30 shields are needed to build a musketeer? If you check the civilopedia, I think you'll find the musketeer is a 60-shield unit. See how you need only 20 bushels of food to grow your city? You would normally need 40 bushels of food to grow when the city is a City (size 7 - 12).

You are playing the game with "accelerated production" elected. At the start of the next game, during the set-up process, when you get a chance to toggle game conditions (like enabling or disabling certain victory conditions), be sure to either: (1) de-select "accelerated production" or (2) select "defalut rules."

I think you'll find the game moves at a decidely different pace with AP turned off ("AP" was made avialable specifically for MP games -- an effort to shorten the time commitment needed for one game -- this doesn;t mean you can;t play with it on in SP, but I'd venture a guess that most don't play SP with it on).

Catt
Old March 18, 2003, 18:00   #49
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 15:59
Accelerated growth is an option you set up at the beginning of your game. According to the manual (which is sometimes wrong), accelerated growth is well... I checked in the manual and it is not even mentionned...!

Accelerated growth basically cuts the number of shields and food required in half. For example, if you need 60 shields to produce a unit, you only need 30 under Accelerated production. Same goes for the food.

--Kon--

edit: cross-post with Catt...
Old March 19, 2003, 10:49   #50
Mountain Sage
King

Catt and Konquest02,

Thanks for the explanation
I went twice thru the manual last night and got

I realize I learned 10x more tips and strategies since I actively joined 'poly than in all my previous games combined
Old March 19, 2003, 11:03   #51
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Accelerated Production was added in a patch, and therefore didn't exist when the Civ3 manual was printed.
Old March 19, 2003, 11:24   #52
bongo
lifer
Emperor

I have seen posters claim that this feature favors the human because the AI can't handle it properly. Comments anyone? I haven't used it myself so I wouldn't know.
Old March 21, 2003, 08:39   #53
Mountain Sage
King

bongo,

I'll reply as soon as I have finished 10 games without it.
Old March 21, 2003, 16:06   #54
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 15:59
I've heard the same bongo. And if you hear it on poly, it's gotta be the truth.

Right?
Old March 22, 2003, 06:56   #55
VJ
King

Quote:
Accelerated Production was added in a patch, and therefore didn't exist when the Civ3 manual was printed.
As did lots of other stuff.
Old March 22, 2003, 14:50   #56
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Ah, not a mod... I've never once played with AP on, so it did not occur to me.

It would seem to me that good tile usage would be that much more important in the early game (unless the AI just totally loses it).
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old March 24, 2003, 07:52   #57
Mountain Sage
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus

It would seem to me that good tile usage would be that much more important in the early game (unless the AI just totally loses it).
Yes, Theseus, you made your point
I'm learning all the tiles outputs + possible improvents by heart right now

The first terrain improvements on AU207 look a bit better. I'll post them asa I'm finished with the game.
Thanks again.