Old March 5, 2003, 12:38   #1
be0wulfe
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Unrest from Piracy & "Human"?
Anyone else getting this, playing as Human?

My empire gets to a certain size and unrest suddenly goes off the deep end. As I check planets, I see two things consistently - Piracy & Human listed as reasons.

Piracy I can understand, but why is it so prevalent on worlds where I have 6+ home defence system ships? Is piracy only combatted by STARships!? It's pervasive affect is almost over the top and forces sending starships to newly colonized systems until they get their own system ships (if that even helps). This in turn puts an interesting twist on the shell expansion\backfill expansion technique (throw your borders out, expand back intowards the core).

Now, what the heck is unrest from "Human" mean? Are my taxes too high? My HFoG (1.7)? My government type? Is my empire plain too big for Humans to like - in which case how the heck am I going to go for a sole survivor win with Humans? What does unrest from "Human" mean?

Following up to that, will I get more unrest if I send humans (or any other species) to a planet colonized by magnate races? Should I leave magnate races to grow on their own on their home planets and on planets they colonize without sending humans there via the migration control on the planets screen? Then, the same applies to any other species, correct?

... why the dickens isn't any of this stuff in the manual ... ?
be0wulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 03:53   #2
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 13:00
I've found the same problems, and no, nothing is explained in the manual, which is near useless. Generally, I've been able to manage by tweaking the tax rate and/or changing government type.

Also, in the finances screen, you may want to tweak the "peace & prosperity" setting to "peace through strength" or "limited war" and see if that helps.
MichaeltheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 04:37   #3
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:00
The "Human" unrest factor is because Humans have a negative rating for Citizenship.

If you go to customize the races, you'll see what all of the actual values for all of the race characteristics for each race are.

Humans' rating in Citizenship is "Liberty", the poor-equivalent rating. This means that all human colonies produce 5 unrest per turn in addition to any other factors of unrest. In order to remind you of this, the game puts "Human" as a reason for unrest under the unrest tab.

Quite frankly, I think "Racial Attribute" would have given you more of a hint than "Human" (or "Ithkul" or whatever), but that's what it is.

If you use a race with a better Citizenship value, you won't have that added unrest.
Arnelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 05:00   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:00
System ships will help with pirates, but it is best to get a planetary shield up as well. This seems to stop it.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 11:42   #5
wyldrose
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
If you go to customize the races, you'll see what all of the actual values for all of the race characteristics for each race are.
??? If I click on a race and then choose "customize", I get a "blank" setup (everything at default). How do you get the race's values to show?
wyldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 12:33   #6
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

It's showing you the default values for the race you had selected.
Epistax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 12:46   #7
Eric S
Warlord

vmxa1: The strategy guide confirms this. Orbitals, system ships, and starships all reduce piracy by one point per hull size. planetary shield reduces piracy by a fraction (1/10 or 1/100, I can't remember, and I can't find it at the moment) of the strength of the shield.
Eric S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 13:01   #8
wyldrose
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Epistax
It's showing you the default values for the race you had selected.
Oh! The values are relative rather than absolute. I'm not entirely sure I like that setup, but at least I know how to use it now. Thanks!
wyldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 13:30   #9
darcy
Warlord

Erm... this makes Humans suck, doesn't it?
darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 14:47   #10
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric S
vmxa1: The strategy guide confirms this. Orbitals, system ships, and starships all reduce piracy by one point per hull size. planetary shield reduces piracy by a fraction (1/10 or 1/100, I can't remember, and I can't find it at the moment) of the strength of the shield.
What the guide had something useful in it?
It is sitting right next to me, but I did not even look. That was just what I had seen when I have unrest. I do not build Orbitals (at least so far).
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 16:28   #11
Eric S
Warlord

I don't build orbitals either, since they can only defend one planet, but system ships will defend the entire system.

Yes, I found all sorts of useful info in the strategy guide, just not any useful strategy. Weapons tables, ground combat modifiers (which attack modes work against which defense modes, or vica-versa), things like that.
Old March 7, 2003, 21:47   #12
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by darcy
Erm... this makes Humans suck, doesn't it?
darcy,

I've been complaining about that since two weeks before this game came out...

The Humans are the crappiest race in the game.

To make matters worse, the Evons get so many extra race picks compared to the Humans that you can customize an Evon player to be a super-Human... have all the same scores as the default Humans, but with some additional better scores

I've been complaining about that since before the game came out because it was apparent from the previews

I put it in my list of patch suggestions... we'll see if they listen this time
Arnelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 23:13   #13
be0wulfe
Chieftain

... or you could just mod the Humans ... ?

Terra, Terra Uber Alles!
Old March 10, 2003, 19:16   #14
IceCube
Chieftain

Beo - actually modding the Humans isn't as effective as modding the Evon.

This is because if you set the Evon race traits to match the Humans you still have a horde of point to spend on improving them.

I think I saw a post in here that compared all the races side by each set to the standard Human set up and almost all the other races had points left over. If I remember right the Evon have something sick like 140 pts more!!!

But there may be hidden factors (inside the game mechanics) that make up for the puny Human traits???

Lets hope so cause I don't need any stinking crystalized alien creature stompin my butt around the galaxy any time soon!
IceCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 19:59   #15
MitchDev
Chieftain

Yeah, and don't forget Rantz said over on IGMoo that he didn't want humans even in the game at all...
MitchDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 20:05   #16
be0wulfe
Chieftain

Mod as Mod the spreadsheets

Rantz ... what's wrong with humans. You an alien sympathizer or something. Like some of that blue chick special do ya? Pfah! What you need is a good Terran girl to put ya in your place
Old March 10, 2003, 20:13   #17
Eric S
Warlord

So, far, the only "advantage" I've seen to the humans compared to the Evon is that the Evon can't get the best level of creativity.