Old March 5, 2003, 16:35   #1
Killazer
Warlord

Local Time: 21:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sorry but game IS bugged ;)
Diplomacy:

I offer trade deals the AI accepts the trade and declares war on me at the same time. The next turn I look at the diplomacy matrix and I still have a yellow line connecting me to the enemy AI but we are at war. Right clicking on the picutre of the enemy AI shows

WAR

Trade
Unknown trade deal

The unkown... text flows off the boundaries of the diplo description box. So I have some trade deal with the enemy but I am also at war with them at the same time definately a bug.

Also sometimes when I start the game on turn 1 my imperial treasury has like 1-2k in it already. Dont know what thats about.
Killazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2003, 17:08   #2
Stuie
King

Local Time: 17:01
Re: Sorry but game IS bugged ;)
Quote:
Originally posted by Killazer
Also sometimes when I start the game on turn 1 my imperial treasury has like 1-2k in it already. Dont know what thats about.
I think one of the planet specials gives you a one time income boost; so if that special is on your homeworld, you immediately get the extra $$. Check the readme.
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2003, 19:29   #3
Corentor
Warlord

Software will always have bugs. MOO3 has them too.

But so far very few have experienced any showstoppers and very few game breakers.

Thats really all you can ask fo.
Corentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2003, 21:01   #4
Eric S
Warlord

Local Time: 13:01
The AI issues are the only real showstopper, and the PD bug is a nusiance.

Yeah, sometimes it takes a little bit to realize why you got such an unusual starting position. I once started with three large inhabbited green1-or-better planets in my home system, one of them rich (with special minerals if I remember correctly), one very rich. It took me 5 minutes to figure out what had happened. I started in a system with not one, but two splinter colonies. Talk about your statistical flukes. I still lost the game because I was on the outer edge of a huge galaxy and someone got the Senate vote before I could make contact with enough races to figure out who I had to kill to keep that from happening. Not to mention that at first I was trying to be nice to my neighbors so that someone would vote me into the Senate. It was still quite the nice catapult launch, though.
Eric S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2003, 21:08   #5
Tuberski

Local Time: 16:01
In my current game, on turn 2 I got, IIRC, 3 free techs, had to look for a while to figure out why.

Random tech on a planet.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Tuberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2003, 22:22   #6
Killazer
Warlord

well im not dumb im a programmer too (no not a newb programmer ) and I know bugs when I see em. It's not just an unusual starting position. Hopefully they will be fixed.
Killazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2003, 22:48   #7
vee4473
King

Hey Tuberski,

I'm just wondering what it says on the newspaper of your avatar. Where he's on the pot.

I like your avatars.
Old March 5, 2003, 23:24   #8
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by vee4473
Hey Tuberski,

I'm just wondering what it says on the newspaper of your avatar. Where he's on the pot.

I like your avatars.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."

Last edited by Tuberski; March 5, 2003 at 23:34.
Tuberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2003, 01:35   #9
Alexfrog
Warlord

well, yes the game has a couple huge flaws. Namely, the AI is so completely passive, it will hardly ever attack with nay sizable force, and wont ever invade with ground troops.

The war/peace/war/peace bug is that if no combat is actually happening, it automatically makes peace, then it declares war again because it hates you....ignore the peace...you are really at war, due to racial preferences, they are just too far away to do anything about it.

In combat, Point defense weapons will often simply not fire at missiles, thus missiles are broken. We dont know why exactly, or what triggers this. QS knows about it and will path it. People have various thoughts as to how to get your PD weapons to work, but nothing comncludive yet.

That said, this game is excellent, unless you really love micromanagement, in which case you wont like it.

The governor AIs are extremely good. The people who think the governor AIs suck, in fact, THEY suck, and dont understand the game well, dont understand how dev plans work, or some mixture. Getting too many of a ship type (like troop ships?) then OBSOLETE THE SHIP! You also need to have various sizes of ships available. The AI always builds ships that will complete in a "reasonable" period of time. It wont build massive ships on little worlds. If you dont also have little ships, those worlds will only build small ground units and stuff like that.

People are working on the problems that moo3 has, working on mods to fx the agressivness, and so on....

In time, this will be an amazing game.
Alexfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2003, 02:33   #10
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:01
Horribly, horribly, terribly unbalanced would be my verdict. Nothing that major tinkering with variables in patches can't fix, eventually.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2003, 02:50   #11
darcy
Warlord

It's great that the fans are providing workarounds for all the problems, but really, wasn't QS getting paid for 4 years to do that job?

Making the troopship obsolete is a workaround for a design flaw too, by the way. The troop is not obsolete, I just want to have less of them built. An imperial ratio adjuster for the ship types or an imperial build queue would work and be in line with the "macro, don't micro" dogma. Obsoleting and unobsoleting for the purpose of build control is not.
darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2003, 03:31   #12
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:01
You really do not want have your troop ship obsolete, you just only want as many as you want, not an infinite number.
If you do obsolete it, the AI will build scouts or marines or some other thing you do not want. This is because you have no means to have it build nothing.
Well I guess you do, but that option is also painful, that is to disable the AI on that planet.
If you try to set the spending to zero, the AI will just bump it up and build another lame item.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2003, 10:05   #13
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Like support troops. I have systems with 50-100 support type ground troops but nothing I can match them with. I found that, for me, the best thing to do was queue up multiple builds of units I need like ships or armor. That way I don't have to turn the planetary AI off but he's stuck building the evil emperor's implements of war before he can go back to building hackers and magazines.
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2003, 10:07   #14
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Oh, and with troop ships, I'll obsolete them when I have mass quatities of them, then commission a new design when I start running out. Just remember to scrap the design of the default Troop Ship after a while. I couldn't understand why my TFs were so slow until I realized it was my retro engined troop ships holding me back.
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 01:58   #15
Vince278
King

I pretty much obsolete everything except the colony ships at the beginning then create new designs after I get Nuclear Engines (which comes fairly early). That gives me instant control at the beginning.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote