View Poll Results: Has the UN security council failed?
The UNSC has ultimately failed in its task to be a peace-keeping organisation 9 19.57%
The UNSC should be majorly re-designed 12 26.09%
The UNSC has failed, but it doesn't need redesigning 4 8.70%
I'm indifferent. It's failed but it has done some good. 3 6.52%
The UNSC is okay for now 3 6.52%
The UNSC has been good overall, but hasn't reached it's full aim 7 15.22%
The UNSC has been a bastion of peace since World War II, and is a fundamental part of our peace today 4 8.70%
The UNSC should allow banana delegates 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 6, 2003, 03:07   #1
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 09:03
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Has the UN failed?
We all (should) know that the League of Nations failed from lack of meat, so to speak.

Has the United Nations failed?

I mean, if anything the only thing stopping a WWIII in the Cold War was nukes. The UN was a mere paper tiger and could no nothing about the rife between communism and capitalism.

Also, today we are seeing rips and tears in the security council system with the veto. As we (almost) saw in Korea, the South would be under Kim Il Sung today if the Russian Delegate hadn't stormed out of the debating chamber.

Any comments?
Old March 6, 2003, 03:20   #2
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 16:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
An interesting question, ultimately it may depend on the upcoming resolution. If the UN folds and gives into US threats, despite the overwhelming population of the world it is supposed to represent being strongly against war, then it will become little more than a puppet of the world's hyperpower. If it somehow stops the resolution, then there may yet be hope for it.
Old March 6, 2003, 03:23   #3
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 14:03
hyperpower, i like that.

i agree with monkspider, being the ***** of the US does not create a world united.
Old March 6, 2003, 03:23   #4
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

not yet, but it's about to.

Because the U.S.'s involvement in the U.N. will become much less after they veto the resolution to use military force (which I'm certain they will do).

and monk if they do veto the resolution- the U.S. may even withdraw completely- doubtful, but still possible. What will happen to the U.N. then?

Even if they don't withdraw, I think the U.S. will be very wary in the U.N.- and essentually it will be toast.

There is no reason they should be against going to war. Have they forgot what their purpose was in 1991? 1441 anyone?
Old March 6, 2003, 03:24   #5
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
If the UN folds and gives into US threats, despite the overwhelming population of the world it is supposed to represent being strongly against war, then it will become little more than a puppet of the world's hyperpower
Has it ever been any different for any of the permenent members of the UNSC?
Old March 6, 2003, 03:28   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:03
I think it is about to fail, big time.
Old March 6, 2003, 03:47   #7
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 05:03
Define "fail."
Old March 6, 2003, 04:25   #8
Frozzy
Emperor

Easy. Failure to reach its aim of achieving world peace and stability.
Old March 6, 2003, 04:30   #9
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Frozzy
Easy. Failure to reach its aim of achieving world peace and stability.
Okay.

Are you saying that if the UNSC won't give a green light to the US invasion of Iraq, it has failed?
Old March 6, 2003, 04:34   #10
monkspider
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
not yet, but it's about to.

Because the U.S.'s involvement in the U.N. will become much less after they veto the resolution to use military force (which I'm certain they will do).

and monk if they do veto the resolution- the U.S. may even withdraw completely- doubtful, but still possible. What will happen to the U.N. then?
It's difficult to say for sure. If the USA resigned from the UN, it would be highly reminiscent of bad guys like Japan and Italy resigning from the League. It would severely hurt both, and it would put the USA at odds with the world.. If the USA did withdraw, it would almost certainly put the world on the path toward a calamity on a scale unknown since dawn of time.
It is difficult to say what the UN would be like minus the USA, it would probably more interested in various philanthropic causes, but it would also have to constantly stare down a mighty US juggernaut looking to stop it at every pass. Plus, where would the UN move? Paris? Berlin? London?
One thing is certain, the UN cannot become a tool for US expansion, that is the the worst scenario.
Old March 6, 2003, 04:36   #11
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

expansion?

where are we expanding to?

we aren't in the beginning of the 20th century btw.

perhaps aggression is the word you wanted.
Old March 6, 2003, 04:39   #12
Frozzy
Emperor

Quote:
Are you saying that if the UNSC won't give a green light to the US invasion of Iraq, it has failed?
And here we go again. Whether Iraq is a threat to world peace or not, keep it to another thread.

The UNSC is designed to strive for world peace and stablitity. Whether Saddam Hussein is an immidiate threat to world peace is up to them.
Old March 6, 2003, 04:45   #13
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Another good one, monkspider!
Quote:
One thing is certain, the UN cannot become a tool for US expansion, that is the the worst scenario.
"Jane, you ignorant slut." —Dan Akroyd.

The only country that successfully used the UN to the expansion of its hegemony was the Soviet Union.

I guess it would be the worst scenario for every country in the world to be ruled by an elected representative government tolerant of dissent, economically healthy, educated, etc. My God, what would the liberals complain about then?

Oh, wait… what am I thinking? There's always "animal rights."
Old March 6, 2003, 04:55   #14
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

frazzy stop playing debate dodgeball.
Old March 6, 2003, 04:57   #15
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Frozzy
And here we go again. Whether Iraq is a threat to world peace or not, keep it to another thread.

The UNSC is designed to strive for world peace and stablitity. Whether Saddam Hussein is an immidiate threat to world peace is up to them.
Okay.

If there are no immediate threats to World Peace, how has the UN failed?
Old March 6, 2003, 07:39   #16
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 22:03
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/2823149.stm

I find the attitude of the Americans quoted in this article unbelievable (assuming they said what they are quoted as saying). In effect they argue that the UN has failed because it is hamstrung by national interests. To me this implies a belief that the interests of the world as a whole are, to them, indistinguishable from US national interests. Unless one believes that the US intentions on Iraq are entirely altruistic and not intended to derive any benefit for the US.

So US national interest = good. Everyone else's national interest = bad (if it is different from the US interest).

If this is the attitude of the current US administration then the UN is over. It also raises the disconcerting spectre that the US administration regards the democratically elected French and Russian governments as not entitled to a legitimate view on world affairs if that view differs from the US one.

Co-operation is a two way street. If the US is going down the road of ignoring any contrary view and imposing its own through money and military muscle, how long before the world is divided into those who jump when the President farts and those who refuse to have anything to do with the US at all. The Cold War will be reborn. Is the American national psyche so fragile that it has to create enemies to feel it is significant?
Old March 6, 2003, 07:49   #17
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

CerebrusIV, YOU ARE THE VOICE OF REASON!

Last edited by MRT144; March 6, 2003 at 09:13.
Old March 6, 2003, 08:06   #18
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

UN... pfui
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 6, 2003, 08:55   #19
The Viceroy
Prince

not YET ..

But the US is the world super power, wether we like that or not, and to force them outside of the UN (regardless of them being right or wrong) is a huge mistake.

The only power to be in direct risk is Saddam's, and the surrounding arab dictatorships/kingdoms (who may fear a democratic Iraq). I could understand any of them wanting to Veto such an action, but they don't constitute a major power, so don't have that right.

France will not be put in peril by this action, nor China, nor Russia .. they certainly may lose some investment, but its small fry really.

I defend France, China and Russia's right wholeheartedly to disagree, even veto when they feel there national interest is put in danger .. but this doesn't.

If France, China and Russia abstain, and diplomatically state there total disagreement to the American action, and tell the US its on its own .. then that will be a victory for the UN. If any of them Veto what is clearly not a matter of gravity for any of these nations, then that will be a failure, not because they didn't agree with the US, but because they used their Veto to spite the US.

I still think there is hope that the 3 will abstain, and issue a warning, in which case, the UN may still come out of this stronger, not weaker.
Old March 6, 2003, 23:27   #20
Frozzy
Emperor

Quote:
If there are no immediate threats to World Peace, how has the UN failed?
Where did I say that?

There have always been immediate threats to the world.
Old March 6, 2003, 23:47   #21
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:03
Quote:
Originally posted by The Viceroy
not YET ..

But the US is the world super power, wether we like that or not, and to force them outside of the UN (regardless of them being right or wrong) is a huge mistake.

The only power to be in direct risk is Saddam's, and the surrounding arab dictatorships/kingdoms (who may fear a democratic Iraq). I could understand any of them wanting to Veto such an action, but they don't constitute a major power, so don't have that right.

France will not be put in peril by this action, nor China, nor Russia .. they certainly may lose some investment, but its small fry really.

I defend France, China and Russia's right wholeheartedly to disagree, even veto when they feel there national interest is put in danger .. but this doesn't.

If France, China and Russia abstain, and diplomatically state there total disagreement to the American action, and tell the US its on its own .. then that will be a victory for the UN. If any of them Veto what is clearly not a matter of gravity for any of these nations, then that will be a failure, not because they didn't agree with the US, but because they used their Veto to spite the US.

I still think there is hope that the 3 will abstain, and issue a warning, in which case, the UN may still come out of this stronger, not weaker.
Well done Viceroy.

Mis Novias
Old March 7, 2003, 01:59   #22
Kramerman
Prince

Re: Another good one, monkspider!
Quote:
Originally posted by Straybow

The only country that successfully used the UN to the expansion of its hegemony was the Soviet Union.

I guess it would be the worst scenario for every country in the world to be ruled by an elected representative government tolerant of dissent, economically healthy, educated, etc. My God, what would the liberals complain about then?

Old March 7, 2003, 02:28   #23
monkspider
King

Re: Another good one, monkspider!
Quote:
Originally posted by Straybow

Stray, if the UN becomes a marionette of American policy, then it will effectively cease to operate as a vehicle of peace and humanitarianism. This is highly undesirable for many reasons. One need only look at American foreign policy over the past fifty years to see that America, the superpower, is only interested hegemonic politics of expansion and empowerment of it's transcendent capitalist instiutions. In other words, the precedent that America has set on the global scene gives humanity much to fear.

Therefore,The reduction of the UN to a de facto US puppet would tear asunder the notion of a international body to check those who would wage aggresive war. Who would take the UN seriously when it is clear that the USA will use it as nothing more than an organ of further expanding it's role as both arbiter and imperator of world affairs. The purpose of the UN is to represent humanity, not the whims of a hyperpower who has hijacked it. It is clear that such a dichotomy would only lead to a general decrease in things such as living standards, democracy, and so forth.
Old March 7, 2003, 02:42   #24
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 07:03
The U.N. was doomed from day one.
Old March 7, 2003, 02:43   #25
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 17:03
Why would the UN have to become a "marionette of American policy"? All the US wants is for the UN to hold Iraq to the consequences laid out in SC Resolution 1441. If the SC doesn't pass the new US-UK resolution, then they are effectively saying that they were full of **** when they unanimously passed 1441...
Old March 7, 2003, 02:47   #26
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Re: Re: Another good one, monkspider!
Quote:
Therefore,The reduction of the UN to a de facto US puppet would tear asunder the notion of a international body to check those who would wage aggresive war.
Check? UN? Are we talking about the samebody?
Old March 7, 2003, 02:50   #27
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 07:03
The reason the U.N. cannot keep anything in check is because it can't physically force a government to do something. As a result, people are generally free to disregard the U.N. resolutions that they don't like, even on things that some would think are important, such as "Don't torture people" and "Don't poison the planet".
Old March 7, 2003, 03:21   #28
Kramerman
Prince

Re: Re: Another good one, monkspider!
Quote:

Stray, if the UN becomes a marionette of American policy, then it will effectively cease to operate as a vehicle of peace and humanitarianism. This is highly undesirable for many reasons. One need only look at American foreign policy over the past fifty years to see that America, the superpower, is only interested hegemonic politics of expansion and empowerment of it's transcendent capitalist instiutions. In other words, the precedent that America has set on the global scene gives humanity much to fear.

Therefore,The reduction of the UN to a de facto US puppet would tear asunder the notion of a international body to check those who would wage aggresive war. Who would take the UN seriously when it is clear that the USA will use it as nothing more than an organ of further expanding it's role as both arbiter and imperator of world affairs. The purpose of the UN is to represent humanity, not the whims of a hyperpower who has hijacked it. It is clear that such a dichotomy would only lead to a general decrease in things such as living standards, democracy, and so forth.
monkspider, you must be the most diametrically opposed person to me that I know... Of all the people on this forum and in my RL (heh, yeah, i got one of those... ), you are the only one who consistently seem to hold the exact opposite view on everything... I just thought that I would note this, for some reason. Nothing in particular about your post tho.

Kman
Old March 7, 2003, 03:23   #29
monkspider
King

Re: Re: Re: Another good one, monkspider!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman

monkspider, you must be the most diametrically opposed person to me that I know... Of all the people on this forum and in my RL (heh, yeah, i got one of those... ), you are the only one who consistently seem to hold the exact opposite view on everything... I just thought that I would note this, for some reason. Nothing in particular about your post tho.

Kman
No prob bro, at least we both dig Star Wars.
Old March 7, 2003, 03:42   #30
Kramerman
Prince

Re: Re: Re: Re: Another good one, monkspider!
Quote:

No prob bro, at least we both dig Star Wars.
true, true. I still would never want to shake your hand tho, I have a fear we would instantly annhilate each other and be converted into energy to be returned to the universe...