Old March 6, 2003, 19:54   #1
jc9542
Settler

Local Time: 21:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Technologies/research?
Hi, recently got the game, liking it so far, but still trying to puzzle a few things out. I remember from the first two games that you didn't get all possible advances technologies unless you were the psilons. But lately I've been noticing some really annoying stuff with researching and wondering if anyone else has any suggestions?

Started up a new game last night, I skipped everying in biology until around level 12 or 13... I think the first advance I saw was Muatgens. Now I don't mind not getting everything possible, but that was insane. I missed out on the first few bio harvest techs and terraforming techs which really sucked. Is this supposed to happen? It seems kind of unreasonable that I should miss everything in that field for so long.

Ok so the normal solutions would be to trade for or steal the tech. Trade didn't quite work for me. Even for offering two technologies for one from another empire, they kept refusing me. Maybe my relation/causus belli wasn't good enough? Both were around 60 or 70ish.

So I tried stealing it, flooded the empire full of scientific spies, but they most spent their time wrecking the other empires projects and assisinating scientists. I'm guessing there's no way to really adjust for that?

Haven't tried this yet, but in the Moo1 and Moo2 I think if you invaded another empire's planets sometimes you would get a tech, does this still work?

Thanks for any help/advice.

PS is there any way to fiddle with those settings possibly? I haven't gotten around to cracking open the data files.
jc9542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2003, 21:18   #2
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 23:07
Even as Psilons you donīt get every possible Technology.

I always play the Psilns and I had a lot of technologies missing on my Technology-Matrix.

Instead of using my Spies to get them I usually trade Technologies with other Races.
Itīs no Problem for me because I am usually at good terms with most of the other races.
Most of the time the other Races are the ones who ask me for my Technologies in exchange for some of theirs but sometimes I make offers by myself, because there is a technology which may be important for me.

Maybe you should also try it with trade
Proteus_MST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2003, 21:32   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:07
The trade option is not very useful to the I-kools.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2003, 21:57   #4
Eric S
Warlord

Local Time: 13:07
Re: Technologies/research?
Quote:
Originally posted by jc9542
Started up a new game last night, I skipped everying in biology until around level 12 or 13...
Know the feeling. One of the reasons I lost my second game (won the first) was because I missed Warp II AND Warp III. It's kind of hard to explore/expand when you're limited to speed 85 until you get a Math13-based science.

Even races that liked me wouldn't trade Warp III to me for multiple techs of equal or better level.

Proteus, I think he was referring to the Creative advantage of MoO1 and MoO2, not previous games he played in MoO3.

There's a question, are there any stats that modify your chances of getting each of the techs?
Eric S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2003, 21:59   #5
Proteus_MST
King

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
The trade option is not very useful to the I-kools.
Oh, there youīve got a point

Strange thing, that noone likes the Ithkul, although they just want to be loved and give everyone a big hug
Old March 6, 2003, 22:34   #6
jc9542
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Proteus_MST
Even as Psilons you donīt get every possible Technology.

I always play the Psilns and I had a lot of technologies missing on my Technology-Matrix.

Instead of using my Spies to get them I usually trade Technologies with other Races.
Itīs no Problem for me because I am usually at good terms with most of the other races.
Most of the time the other Races are the ones who ask me for my Technologies in exchange for some of theirs but sometimes I make offers by myself, because there is a technology which may be important for me.

Maybe you should also try it with trade
I tried trade, my relations were ok but nothing stellar. On that -200 to 200 scale they were about 70ish? So I'd have more success if it was higher?
Old March 6, 2003, 23:07   #7
Proteus_MST
King

Quote:
Originally posted by jc9542

I tried trade, my relations were ok but nothing stellar. On that -200 to 200 scale they were about 70ish? So I'd have more success if it was higher?
I guess so.

Those Empires I really often traded Technologies with were also my best Friends with Relations of 150+.

I had one case where my Psilons didnīt research the Research Lab for those Antarans-Expeditions.
I asked the Nommo if they would give the Technologie to me in exchange for some Technologies of mine.
I had a Non Agression Pact with the Nommo and Relations of maybe 100 or just below 100 with them.
Every Trade i tried (up to 2-3 Technologies in exchange for the "Research Labs"-Technology) got rejected.

Thn I found out that the Trilarian, which were close Allies and with whom I had a Relationship of 180 also had this technology.
So I asked them for the technology and chose 2 lower ranking technologies in exchange for the Research Lab.
They agreed the next turn.

So it seems to me, that treaties and Relationship have an influence which shouldnīt be underestimated.
Old March 6, 2003, 23:33   #8
BlueDEvil
Chieftain

The last time I've played, I miss warp 2 to warp 5 engines. Now everytime I start, I checked if Nuclear engine is in the list.
BlueDEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 11:33   #9
WarriorPoet
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 16:07
bah...I want to choose my research, not be a slave to the AI!!!!!
Old March 7, 2003, 15:26   #10
jc9542
Settler

Yeah I'd like to be able to choose between the visible techologies too. It seems kind of pointless for the AI to research autofire railgun and railgun minturization when I don't even have the original railgun technology.
Old March 13, 2003, 10:51   #11
WarriorPoet
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 16:07
Good point!
Old March 13, 2003, 11:03   #12
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

I thought if you researched autofire 'x', that you didn't need the original. I never paid much attention before. Does this mean if I have autofire 'x' I can't use it without the original tech?
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2003, 03:42   #13
jc9542
Settler

So far it seems that getting the modifications of a weapon system do not allow you access to put the base mount or even the modified type mount on your ships. So getting those technologies is pretty useless unless you can trade them for something you want with an ally.