Old March 6, 2003, 21:22   #1
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 13:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Anyone Seen This Scam Before?
Hi all, long time no visit! I got the following in e-mail today, I got a good laugh from it because it was so blatent. This is a new one to me, has anyone else seen it before?

Dear Friend,

My name is LOI C.ESTRADA,The wife of Mr. JOSEPH
ESTRADA, the former President of Philippines located
in the South East Asia. My husband was recently
impeached from office by a backed uprising of mass
demonstrators and the Senate. My husband is presently
in jail and facing trial on charges of corruption,
embezzlement, and the mysterious charge of plunder
which might lead to death sentence.

The present government is forcing my husband out of
Manila to avoid demonstration by his supporter. During
my husband's regime as president of Philippine, I
realized some reasonable amount of money from various
deals that I successfully executed. I have plans to
invest this money for my children's future on real
estate and industrial production.

My husband is not aware of this because I wish to do
it secretly for now. before my husband was impeached,
I secretly siphoned the sum of $30,000,000
million USD (Thirty million United states dollars) out
of Philippines and deposited the money with a security
firm that transports valuable goods and consignments
through diplomatic means.

I am contacting you because I want you to go to the
security company and claim the money on my behalf
since I have declared that the consignment belong to
my foreign business partner. You shall also be
required to assist me in investment in your country. I
hope to trust you as a God fearing person who will not
sit on this money when you claim it, rather assist me
properly, I expect you to declare what percentage of
the total money you will take for your assistance.
When I receive your positive response I will
let you know where the security company is and the
payment pin code to claim the money which is very
important.

For now, let all our communication is by e-mail
because my line are right now connected to the
Philippines Telecommunication Network services.

Please also send me your telephone and fax number.

I will ask my son contact you to give you more details
on after i have received a responce from you.through this
email address
mrssliocestrada@netscape.net

Thank you and God bless you and family.

MRS LOI C ESTRADA

:end

Wild, huh?

John
Old March 6, 2003, 21:24   #2
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 17:08
Are you joking? I recieve these daily.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old March 6, 2003, 21:27   #3
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:08
I am going to go kill a diplomat from the Phillipines now.
Old March 6, 2003, 21:27   #4
Lincoln
King

Local Time: 21:08
Hi John. Long time no see. And I thought I stayed away for a long time. This is almost like old home week.
Old March 6, 2003, 21:28   #5
John-SJ
Emperor

Oh... I guess I've just been lucky until now. Oh well, I did get a good laugh out of it on my initial reading.

John
Old March 6, 2003, 21:30   #6
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:08
Yep, get them all of the time...but most of mine come from Nigeria.
Old March 6, 2003, 21:30   #7
Uncle Sparky
NationStates
King

Local Time: 16:08
I personally have about a dozen former world leaders indebted to me for millions of $$$ !

And it just cost me a few thousand $$ !

E-mail me with a valid credit card number and I can let you in on some of the deals !
Old March 6, 2003, 21:32   #8
John-SJ
Emperor

HI Lincoln,

I've never really left, although I almost never read the OT forum these days.

I've been posting a little but mostly lurking on Other Games, Civ2, Civ3, and MoO3, which I am near ready to write off as a waste of time, and money.

John
Old March 6, 2003, 23:46   #9
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 05:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Just a variation on the old Nigerian 109 (IIRC 109) scams.
Old March 7, 2003, 00:47   #10
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

How bout this one???

I get about 6 of these a day

Subject: FASTEST WAY TO MAKE BIG BUCKS $$ Date: 11/21/02 12:17 PM EST Author: jkyleb@aol.com A while back, I was browsing these newsgroups, just like you are now, and came across an article similar to this that said you could make thousands of CASH within weeks with only an initial investment of $6.00 plus stamps! So I thought, "Yeah, right, this must be a scam!" But like most of us I was curious and kept reading. It said that if you send $1.00 to each of the 6 names and addresses listed in the article, you could make thousands in a very short period of time. You then place your own name and address at the bottom of the list at #6, and post the article to at least 300 newsgroups. (There are about 32,000 of them out there and that`s quite a large market pool). No catch, that was it. Even though the investment was a measly $6, I had three questions that needed to be answered before I could get involved in this sort of thing. 1. IS THIS REALLY LEGAL? I called a lawyer first. The lawyer was a little sceptical that I would actually make any CASH but he said it WAS LEGAL if I wanted to try it. I told him it sounded a lot like a chain letter but the details of the system (SEE BELOW) actually made it a legitimate legal business. 2. IS OK WITH THE POST OFFICE OR IS IT MAIL FRAUD? I called them: 1-800-725-2161 and they confirmed THIS IS ABSOLUTELY LEGAL! (See 18, h sections1302 NS 1341 of Postal Lottery Laws). This clarifies the program of collecting names and addresses for a mailing list. 3. IS IT RIGHT? Well, everyone who sends me a buck has a good chance of getting A LOT of CASH ... a much better chance than buying a lottery ticket!!! So, having these questions answered, I invested EXACTLY $7.98... six $1.00 bills and six 33 cent postage stamps ... and boy am I glad I did!!! Within 7 days, I started getting CASH in the mail! I was shocked! I figured it would end soon and didn`t give it another thought. But the CASH continued coming in. In my first week I made between $20 to $30. By the end of the second week I had a made a total of $1,000.00. In the third week I had over $10,000.00 and it was still growing. This is now my fourth week and I have made a total of just over $42,000 and it`s still coming in ..... It`s certainly worth $6.00 and 6 stamps !!! Also, make sure you print a copy of this article NOW, so you can get the information off of it as you need it. I promise you that if you follow the directions exactly, that you will start making more CASH than you thought possible by doing something so easy! Suggestion: Read this entire message carefully! (print it out or download it.) Follow the simple directions and watch the CASH come in! It`s easy. It`s legal. And, your investment is only $6.00 (Plus postage) IMPORTANT: This is not a rip-off; it is not indecent; it is not illegal; and it is virtually no risk - it really works!!!! If all of the following instructions are adhered to, you will receive extraordinary dividends. PLEASE NOTE: Please follow these directions EXACTLY, and $50,000 or more can be yours in 20 to 60 days. This program remains successful because of the honesty and integrity of the participants. Please continue its success by carefully adhering to the instructions. You will now become part of the Mail Order business. In this business your product is not solid and tangible, it`s a service. You are in the business of developing Mailing Lists. Many large corporations are happy to pay big bucks for quality lists. However, the CASH made from the mailing lists is secondary to the income which is made from people like you and me asking to be included in that list. Here are the 4 easy steps to success: STEP 1: Get 6 separate pieces of paper and write the following on each piece of paper "PLEASE PUT ME ON YOUR MAILING LIST." Now get 6 US $1.00 bills and place ONE inside EACH of the 6 pieces of paper so the bill will not be seen through the envelope (to prevent thievery). Place one paper in each of the 6 envelopes and seal them. You should now have 6 sealed envelopes, each with a piece of paper stating the above phrase, your name and address, and a $1.00 bill. What you are doing is creating a service. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY LEGAL! You are requesting a legitimate service and you are paying for it! Like most of us I was a little skeptical and a little worried about the legal aspects of it all. So I checked it out with the U.S. Post Office (1-800-725-2161) and they confirmed that it is indeed legal! Mail the 6 envelopes to the following addresses:
1.) Al Wylie III.
66 Larkin Ave.
Warwick, R.I. 02886
2.) T. Wolosik
329 Downing St.
Pittsburgh, P.A. 15219
3.) D. Gruenbacher
P.O. Box 96
Colwich, Ks. 67030
4.) Christopher Karim
5680 Royal Wood
West Bloomfield, MI 48322
5.) Joshua Baker
216 Berwyn Dr. W Apt. 76
Mobile, AL 36608
6.) Tyson Winneker
572 E. Foothill Blvd. Apt. 21
San Luis Obispo, CA 93405

STEP 2: Now take the #1 name off the list that you see above, move the other names up (6 becomes 5, 5 becomes 4, etc...) and add YOUR Name as number 6 on the list. STEP 3: Change anything you need to, but try to keep this article as close to original as possible. Now, post your amended article to at least 300 newsgroups. (I think there are close to 32,000 groups) All you need is 300, but remember, the more you post, the more CASH you make! This is perfectly legal! If you have any doubts, refer to 18 Sec. 1302 & 1341 of the Postal lottery laws. Keep a copy of these steps for yourself and, whenever you need CASH, you can use it again, and again. PLEASE REMEMBER that this program remains successful because of the honesty and integrity of the participants and by their carefully adhering to the directions. Look at it this way. If you are a person of integrity, the program will continue and the CASH that so many others have received will come your way. NOTE: You may want to retain every name and address sent to you, either on a computer or hard copy and keep the notes people send you. This VERIFIES that you are truly providing a service. (Also, it might be a good idea to wrap the $1 bill in dark paper to reduce the risk of mail theft.) So, as each post is downloaded and the directions carefully followed, six members will be reimbursed for their participation as a List Developer with one dollar each. Your name will move up the list geometrically so that when your name reaches the #1 position you will be receiving thousands of CASH in CASH!!! What an opportunity for only $6.00 ($1.00 for each of the first six people listed above) Send it now, add your own name to the list and you`re in business! ---DIRECTIONS ----- FOR HOW TO POST TO NEWSGROUPS Step 1) You do not need to re-type this entire letter to do your own posting. Simply put your cursor at the beginning of this letter and drag your cursor to the bottom of this letter, and select `copy` from the edit menu. This will copy the entire letter into the computer`s memory. Step 2) Open a blank `notepad` file and place your cursor at the top of the blank page. From the `edit` menu select `paste`. This will paste a copy of the letter into notepad so that you can add your name to the list. Step 3) Save your new notepad file as a .txt file. If you want to do your postings in different settings, you`ll always have this file to go back to. Step 4) Use Netscape or Internet explorer and try searching for various newsgroups (on-line forums, message boards, chat sites, discussions.) Step 5) Visit these message boards and post this article as a new message by highlighting the text of this letter and selecting paste from the edit menu. Fill in the Subject, this will be the header that everyone sees as they scroll through the list of postings in a particular group, click the post message button. You`re done with your first one! Congratulations...THAT`S IT! All you have to do is jump to different newsgroups and post away, after you get the hang of it, it will take about 30 seconds for each newsgroup! **REMEMBER, THE MORE NEWSGROUPS YOU POST IN, THE MORE CASH YOU WILL MAKE!! BUT YOU HAVE TO POST A MINIMUM OF 300** STEP 6: Get a list of "Opportunity Seekers" from a national list firm. Send out 2500 emails minimum. Here is a few that have proven effective with prices:

http://www.emailsgalore.com - 100,000 email addresses for $35-this one is great! They also sell 15 million for $120! Clearly the best targeted email lists. I highly recomend this one.

http://www.selmorelists.com - 200 for $15 / 500 for $25
http://www.redhotlist.com - 300 for $18 / 600 for $31
http://www.americaint.com - 1 million for $39.95

Bulk emailing is legal!!! Bulk e-mail software is necessary to send this letter to your newly obtained list. Bulk e-mail software can be found at http://www.download.com , it is completely free. Search download.com for
"bulk e-mail" or "e-mail utilities". You must have email software to email your list all at one time, otherwise you'll be sending emails one at a time....not fun.

That`s it! You will begin receiving CASH from around the world within days! You may eventually want to rent a P.O.Box due to the large amount of mail you will receive. If you wish to stay anonymous, you can invent a name to use, as long as the postman will deliver it. **JUST MAKE SURE ALL THE ADDRESSES ARE CORRECT.** Now the WHY part: Out of 300 postings, say I receive only 7 replies (a very low example). So then I made $7.00 with my name at #6 on the letter. Now, each of the 7 persons who just sent me $1.00 make the MINIMUM 300 postings, each with my name at #5 and only 7 persons respond to each of the 7 original 7, that is another $49.00 for me, now those 49 each make 300 MINIMUM posts with my name at #4 and only 7 replies each, I will bring in an additional $343.00! Now, those 343 persons turn around and post the MINIMUM 300 with my name at #3 and only receive 7 replies each, I will make an additional $2401.00! OK, now here is the fun part, each of those 2401 persons post a MINIMUM 300 letters with my name at #2 and they each only receive 7 replies, that just made me $16,807.00!!! Those 16807 persons will all deliver this message to 300 newsgroups with my name at #1 and if still 7 persons per 300 Newsgroups react I will receive $117,649.00! With an original investment of only $6.00! And some stamps. AMAZING! When your name is no longer on the list, you just take the latest posting in the newsgroups, and send out another $6.00 to names on the list, putting your name at number 6 again. And start posting again. The thing to remember is: do you realize that thousands of people all over the world are joining the internet and reading these articles everyday? JUST LIKE YOU are now!! So, can you afford $6.00 and see if it really works?? I think so... People have said, "what if the plan is played out and no one sends you the CASH? So what! What are the chances of that happening when there are tons of new honest users and new honest people who are joining the internet and newsgroups everyday and are willing to give it a try? Estimates are at 20,000 to 50,000 new users, every day, with thousands of those joining the actual internet. Remember, play FAIRLY and HONESTLY and this will really work. ** By the way, if you try to deceive people by posting the messages with your name in the list and not sending the CASH to the rest of the people already on the list, you will NOT get as much. Someone I talked to knew someone who did that and he only made about $150.00, and that`s after seven or eight weeks! Then he sent the 6 $1.00 bills, people added him to their lists, and in 4-5 weeks he had over $10k. This is the fairest and most honest way I have ever seen to share the wealth of the world without costing anything but our time!!! You also may want to buy mailing and e-mail lists for future CASH. Make sure you print this article out RIGHT NOW! Also, try to keep a list of everyone that sends you CASH and always keep an eye on the newsgroups to make sure everyone is playing fairly. Remember, HONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY. You don`t need to cheat the basic idea to make the CASH!! GOOD LUCK to all and please play fairly and reap the huge rewards from this, which is tons of extra CASH. Please remember to declare your extra income. Thanks once again... "People have asked me if this is really legal. Well, it is! You are using the Internet to advertise your business. What is that business? You are creating a mailing list of people who are interested in home based computer and online business and methods of generating income at home. Remember, people send you a small fee to be added to your mailing list. It is legal. what will you do with your list of thousands of names? That`s up to you." So, build your mailing list, keep good accounts, declare the income and pay your taxes. By doing this you prove your business intentions. Keep an eye on the newsgroups and when the cash has stopped coming (that means your name is no longer on the list), you just take the latest posting at the newsgroups, send another $6.00 to the names stated on the list, make your corrections (put your name at #6) and start posting again. NOTES: *1. In some countries, the export of the country`s exchange is illegal. But you can get the license to do this from the post office, explaining the above statements (that you have an online business, etc. You may have to pay an extra tax, but that`s OK, the amount of the incoming CASH is HUGE! And as I said, a few countries have that restriction . *2. You may want to buy mailing and e-mail lists for future CASH. (Or Database or Spreadsheet software.) *3. If you`re really not sure or still think this can`t be for real, please print a copy of this article and give it to someone who really needs the CASH, and see what happens. *4. You will start getting responses within 1-2 weeks, it depends. ***ALSO REMEMBER*** SEND YOUR $1 OUT TO EVERYONE ON THE LIST, EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT FROM THE U.S. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR??? $$$!!!$$$!!!$$$!!!$$$!!!$$$!!!$$$!!!$$$!!!$$$!!!$$ $!!! MAKING MONEY
Old March 7, 2003, 01:17   #11
Uncle Sparky
NationStates
King

faded glory: That's waaaayy too much reading.

E-mail your credit card number to me (don't forget the expiry date) and I promise I won't send you that much stuff to read !
Old March 7, 2003, 01:22   #12
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Mine was from Zimbabwe

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old March 7, 2003, 01:23   #13
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Actually I just cut and paste it from a newsgroup Im subscribed too.

I just took a note of all my spam recently for a laugh on another forum. I noticed that roughly 20% was Scams like the above, 30% was Porn, 10% offered varouis penis enlargment, penis enhancement and hair growth. Another 30% was of the food recipe type. The rest was garbled crap. Like it was from outer space, Like some alien civilization was bouncing signals off the moon to try and sell me something. (All Windings)

This was this weekend to. I think I recieved some 70 junk emails.
Old March 7, 2003, 01:37   #14
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

I rarely get spam like this. And I even have a hotmail account and everything.
Old March 7, 2003, 01:40   #15
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 05:08
fg,

That's another scam that works along the line of pyramid schemes. That is, only the first few people will benefit from it.
Old March 7, 2003, 01:43   #16
Kramerman
Prince

i rarely get this stuff as well, and gald for it. I pity the fool who falls for these...
Old March 7, 2003, 08:57   #17
spartak
King

I got one this morning.

Its actually called a 419 scam after the appriopriate section of the Nigerian code of laws...
Old March 7, 2003, 09:16   #18
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 23:08
Quote:
10% offered varouis penis enlargment, penis enhancement and hair growth.
You get adds for penis hair growth..!?!?!!
Old March 7, 2003, 09:25   #19
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 22:08
Well, look on the bright side - pretty soon various "relatives" of Saddam Hussein will be emailing you claiming to want to launder money smuggled out of Iraq before his overthrow.
Old March 7, 2003, 09:37   #20
spartak
King

Old March 7, 2003, 09:51   #21
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 00:08
Quote:
the former President of Philippines located
in the South East Asia.
Clearly they've set their aims on the AMERICAN public.