Old March 7, 2003, 03:25   #1
BobD
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Attacking an enemy planet
I seem to have a problem attacking an enemy planet in a system where I also control a planet. I am at war with the other race, and my fleet includes LR Attack and Troop Transport crafts. Does anyone know if it is possible to "force" my fleet to attack? Any other ideas or suggestions are also welcome.
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 03:35   #2
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:08
I have a similar problem in a system where there are two races controlling different planets and I can only attack the planet of the guy I'm NOT at war with rather than the planet of the guy I AM at war with.

The problem seems to stem from the fact that the game will not (at present) let you choose which planet to attack. You are forced to attack planets in a system in a certain order.

As such, if the first planet on the list is one that you cannot (your own planet) or will not (a planet of a guy you don't want to fight) attack, you can't attack the planet of the guy you're at war with.

I've found that while I can do a fleet battle against his planet, I can't INVADE it without invading the other player's planet first.

I've already posted this in the bugs thread. But since your problem is slightly different, I'd suggest reporting it as well.
Arnelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 04:41   #3
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

someone just posted a possible solution to this problem in another part of the forum.

Apparently, in the screen where you pick individual combats, there's a tab somewhere at the bottom of the screen. If you press it, it lets you pick which planet in a system to attack.

I haven't tried this yet myself, as I just read it and wanted to post it here before testing it out.

I'm going to test it out later and see if that helps.

Just wanted to give you the heads up in case it helps.
Old March 7, 2003, 04:56   #4
BobD
Chieftain

I also read in another thread that if the enemy planet is not yet "developed" (pop < 1000) then you probably can't attack it directly. A possible alternative would be to send a colony ship to that planet (breed them out). I'll try this when I get off work later today and let you know if it works.

As for choosing which planet to attack, that would be great. Now if I can just get to the combat screen...
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 05:07   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:08
Yes you can not start an attack of a planet that has less than 1 pop point (1000). You can continue an attack if they subsiquently drop below 1 point.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 06:31   #6
Arnelos
Emperor

See.... the thing is, the problem I have in my case is that the colony I want to attack is WELL over 1,000 pop, but it won't let me attack it but it WILL let me attack the planet of another unrelated empire in the same system
Old March 7, 2003, 08:59   #7
bakalov
Prince

Local Time: 00:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
when there are several attackable planets in the system you can't select which one to attack. May be you first attack the #1 (closest to the star), when it is killed or capturet - #2 and so on. Can anyone confirm this?
Old March 7, 2003, 11:16   #8
drsparnum
Warlord

I have little to add except that I have seen the same thing as Arnelos. I did not have a non-aggression pack with the empire I was not at war with but was blocking me from attacking the empire I was at war with (the in between empire). I tried to get them to agree to one but they refused (thus forcing me to attack them as well just to get to my enemy). Does anyone know if having a non-aggression pack with the "in-between" empire will solve this problem. Either way, I bet this will be fixed in the first patch.
drsparnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 14:56   #9
GMBlues
Settler

I noticed that there is an extra screen in the Space Battle Screen. When you select "Assault Planet", but BEFORE you click Commit, there is a tab that is enabled at the bottom of the screen; it is labelled "System View" or some similar such. When you click on it, you see the planets in the specified system and your mouse cursor changes to a red pointer.

Now, I haven't experimented with the screen (I discovered this late last night... and I'm at work right now <-- I know, tsk-tsk me :P) but I believe it either allows you to analyze the enemy forces in detail and / or choose which planet to assault. I also noticed that the cursor would change to a "not-allowed" cursor when I hovered over an uncolonized planet but would turn into the red pointer when I hovered over the enemy planet.

Could someone try this out and see if this screen lets you select which planet to attack and / or view the enemy forces in greater detail?
GMBlues is offline   Reply With Quote