Old March 7, 2003, 03:53   #1
Alphaman
King

Local Time: 05:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
This game is CRAP
And having read through some of the threads here and elsewhere (gamefaqs.com has some well written criticisms) I can see that I am not alone in this opinion.

The biggest flaw is not knowing what the game is doing. Ie if I do X then what happens and why does it happen. Or more commonly, "if I do X what the hell does it do??"

The manual is sorely lacking with no true explanation of the game mechanics.

The interface is horribly awkward and purpusefully difficult to navigate.

Graphics are sub-par for today's day and age.

Diplomacy is lacking.

The economic model is bizarre and incomprehensible.

It seems like this game made sense in some designer's twisted mind but it turned out to be a horribly mutated beast that makes no sense.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. I did and I'm regretting it. I'm sick of forcing myself to like it. Thats just wrong.
Old March 7, 2003, 06:25   #2
joasoze
Settler

Local Time: 23:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hm... I find MOO III to be a good and interesting consept. I love the fact that everything is not obvious during my first play. Figuring out how the universe works is fun for me. This isnt Playstation

All I need is a patch for the AI and PD weapons.
joasoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 06:27   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:08
Yes, this game will infuriate many. It is a gutsy move by QS. I hope it pays off in the end for them. Of course, for that to happen it will have to pay off for the players first. Hint, hint, patch!
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 06:32   #4
Illyrien
Settler

Local Time: 22:08
I disagree.

MoO3 is the first game I have ever found where the game model is complete. There only problems I find with MoO3 are interface issues and documentation.

MoO3's AI is pretty amasing and it is so good a colonizing and building by worlds (if i provide some Development plans) that there is no need for my intervention :-) This is one thing I have never seen before and the one area that eventually forced me to leave Civ3
Old March 7, 2003, 06:34   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

To each his own would be the operative term.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 06:52   #6
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
I'm sick of forcing myself to like it.
i'm sick of forcing myself to do apolyton work instead of playing moo3
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 07:10   #7
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:08
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
Quote:
I'm sick of forcing myself to like it.
i'm sick of forcing myself to do apolyton work instead of playing moo3
Arnelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 09:23   #8
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Local Time: 21:08
This is the first game in along time that is breaking new ground here by doing something which no other game have done before. When the first personal computer came out there where teething problen as you where the first than mistake where make in manufactoring and in the Operation system of the first personal computer.
Old March 7, 2003, 16:55   #9
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Somehow I just cannot take a person seriously if all he posts a thread to do, is whine.

I you have nothing to say, then don't say it

Asmodean
Old March 7, 2003, 17:00   #10
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Illyrien
MoO3's AI is pretty amasing and it is so good a colonizing and building by worlds (if i provide some Development plans) that there is no need for my intervention :-) This is one thing I have never seen before and the one area that eventually forced me to leave Civ3
Yes the AI does a good job managing your empire, however does the enemy AI do a good job at attacking the human player? I have yet to see any evidence of this in my current game.
Old March 7, 2003, 17:24   #11
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Yes, this game will infuriate many. It is a gutsy move by QS. I hope it pays off in the end for them. Of course, for that to happen it will have to pay off for the players first. Hint, hint, patch!
Ditto.
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 17:47   #12
Ghostbear
Chieftain

Whining
The complaints about the game are very similar by everyone that posts them.

Reaction from the masses to this "whining":

Shout, I love it. OK, fine.

Shout, they'll patch it and it'll be wonderous. However no one knows if it can be patched without breaking it or if they can afford to patch it. Also, considering the delay in releasing it how long will it take them to patch it?

Anyway, the original posts was directed at people who haven't bought it yet.

Unfortunatley, I wish I was one of them.
Ghostbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 18:22   #13
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:08
I think in all fairness the dealy did allow them to correct any possible bug that would cause the game to crash or lock up. I do not hear much about that issue.
The enjoyment factors is not something they could be sure of one way or the other. I mean as you can see many like it and many do not. Unless they were sitting there with feedback that said this part is no good and chose to not change it, what could they do? They could not read minds, especially since the minds had not even had the game to that point.
I would think they thought they had a game that people would recieve well, maybe they were wrong.
Maybe they will be able to correct enough to satisfy more people, that is to be seen.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 18:29   #14
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

The main thing was just the AI not being aggressive enough, which QS have said they toned it down for release. (Bad move from what i've seen, since they'd be getting better reviews if they hadn't). There are already mods out by people that boosts the AI and makes it more challenging, though some of it is hardcoded. The AI still doesn't invade with ground troops often, but it will field larger fleets/attack with those fleets more.

I'm currently testing a modified military AI, removed HFoG, and increased task force sizes mod. Once its ready i'll post it up in the creation forums. If you don't like the sound of it/want to wait try Colins mod or OrionDWs mod, Darkchampions worked fairly good if I remember right as well.

Also, i'm positive we'll see at least one patch from QS, as they've already started working on it. And the sales are probably looking pretty good right now judging from the amount of attention the game has gotten.

Note: All but one of these are on the IGMoO fan modification forums right now.
Old March 8, 2003, 01:37   #15
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ChaotikVisions
The main thing was just the AI not being aggressive enough, which QS have said they toned it down for release. (Bad move from what i've seen, since they'd be getting better reviews if they hadn't). There are already mods out by people that boosts the AI and makes it more challenging, though some of it is hardcoded. The AI still doesn't invade with ground troops often, but it will field larger fleets/attack with those fleets more.

I'm currently testing a modified military AI, removed HFoG, and increased task force sizes mod. Once its ready i'll post it up in the creation forums. If you don't like the sound of it/want to wait try Colins mod or OrionDWs mod, Darkchampions worked fairly good if I remember right as well.

Also, i'm positive we'll see at least one patch from QS, as they've already started working on it. And the sales are probably looking pretty good right now judging from the amount of attention the game has gotten.

CV-

Great job so far, I use your HFoG mod, and like it quite a bit.

Its amazing how much of this game is contained in spreadsheets, easily modifiable (except for knowing exactly what each term means of course)
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2003, 02:57   #16
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ChaotikVisions

Did you read the threat tittle I was attacked by the AI. Read it . I think it still too soon to say anything about the AI in attacking you.
Old March 8, 2003, 20:34   #17
Don K Hotay
Warlord

Re: This game is CRAP
Quote:
Originally posted by Alphaman
And having read through some of the threads here and elsewhere (gamefaqs.com has some well written criticisms) I can see that I am not alone in this opinion.

The biggest flaw is not knowing what the game is doing. Ie if I do X then what happens and why does it happen. Or more commonly, "if I do X what the hell does it do??"

The manual is sorely lacking with no true explanation of the game mechanics.

The interface is horribly awkward and purpusefully difficult to navigate.

Graphics are sub-par for today's day and age.

Diplomacy is lacking.

The economic model is bizarre and incomprehensible.

It seems like this game made sense in some designer's twisted mind but it turned out to be a horribly mutated beast that makes no sense.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. I did and I'm regretting it. I'm sick of forcing myself to like it. Thats just wrong.
Yeah, when I was like seven years old, I couldn't believe I spent half the day trying to ride my first bmx bike. I complained, as you just did, for quite a while...until I learned how to later that evening.

Quixote
Don K Hotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2003, 19:34   #18
Cookie Monster
King

Just a quick update on one Moo3 player's experience.

I have returned Moo3 to ebgames and traded it in for Ghost Recon. While my primary gaming interests are in wargames/tbs games Moo3 in it's current state didn't quite "do it" for me.

I will wait and see if they issue patches and what the community feedback is but for now I revel in the fact that I was able to get my money back. I haven't given up all hope on Moo3 but life is too short to waste one's hard earned money on an unfinished product. There are too many games out there that pretty much work right out of the box to deal with this nonsense. The last time I waited patiently for a game to be finished was with Civ3. Interesting that Moo3 also has infogreeds name on it.
Old March 9, 2003, 22:02   #19
Romanus
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Im with Haupt. Dietrich on this one. I purchased MOO3 the day it came out and have spent hours and hours of gameplay trying to determine whether I will like it. In the end, I dont. Even if there is a patch to improve AI and the diplomacy, it wont matter. I really just dont care for the game. I have never wanted to like a game more, but this game is just a mess. For those of you who have bought it and enjoy it, awesome. Im gonna trade it in and move on. Hopefully GalCiv will give me my fix of ruling a galactic empire.
Romanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 03:55   #20
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich
Just a quick update on one Moo3 player's experience.

I have returned Moo3 to ebgames and traded it in for Ghost Recon. While my primary gaming interests are in wargames/tbs games Moo3 in it's current state didn't quite "do it" for me.

I will wait and see if they issue patches and what the community feedback is but for now I revel in the fact that I was able to get my money back. I haven't given up all hope on Moo3 but life is too short to waste one's hard earned money on an unfinished product. There are too many games out there that pretty much work right out of the box to deal with this nonsense. The last time I waited patiently for a game to be finished was with Civ3. Interesting that Moo3 also has infogreeds name on it.
I than sorry that you didnot like the game.
Old March 10, 2003, 10:42   #21
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesBHoff

I than sorry that you didnot like the game.
Thanks and it's ok.

It's not that I hated the game, I really wanted to love it however I've learned my lesson with Civ3. I just don't have the time or the funds to waste on unfinished computer games. If that is the way game publishers are going to do business than I am forced to be extremely picky on what I spend my hard earned cash on.

Hopefully if there are enough of us consumers out there who are carefull game companies will see reduced profits. They will then realize that this reduction in profits is from releasing unfinished games to the public and using the public as paying beta testers. I find something wrong with that. Anyway good luck to all who love the game. I sincerely hope things get fixed to the point where I would consider buying the game again.
Old March 10, 2003, 13:21   #22
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

/me wonders why anyone would respond seriously to alphaman
H Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 17:39   #23
MitchDev
Chieftain

Or to H Tower for that matter....
MitchDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 18:16   #24
dhamrick
Settler

Really not that great
If you have not bought this game yet...do not bother.
Unless, of course, you care for a passive game play experience; where you, the player, are relegated to the margins.

I cannot for the life of me conceive of what series of events took place inside this company for this "the game plays itself" theory to come to fruition.

I am not going to say it is the worst game ever, but it is mediocre...and truthfully...I do not want to spend 300 hours with a mediocre game.

BTW, I am almost certain they are getting killed on the market (the shelves are bloated with this game).

Word of mouth kills....and this product is dead.

I will take my 50 dollars and write it off.
dhamrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 18:49   #25
Kc7mxo
King

Quote:
Word of mouth kills....and this product is dead.
I dunno dude. its been sold out in every store in my area since it came out. not to me though.
Kc7mxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 23:04   #26
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchDev
Or to H Tower for that matter....
i imagine you haven't seen alphaman or his trolling before then?
H Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 23:10   #27
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 07:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
* H Tower wonders why anyone would respond seriously to alphaman

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Alexander's Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 23:36   #28
vee4473
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean
Somehow I just cannot take a person seriously if all he posts a thread to do, is whine.

I you have nothing to say, then don't say it

Asmodean
I don't think the thread starter had nothing to say. He was just voicing his opinion about the game.

Why get upset over it and tell him to not say anything?

I don't see anyone in the "Strangely addicted to moo3" thread saying "I wish all of you enjoying the game would stop posting meaningless praise about how addicted you are".

It's ok to have posts about how addicted you are, but it's out of line to have posts about how disappointed you are?

sheesh.

The guy doesn't like it, and said why.

Of course, I see your point if the same guy posts over and over again the same line.

but, hey, it's a general forum for views and opinion on the game.

I think that both types of posts, (as long as it isn't a meaningless bash), are good for a potential buyer to read.

As long as the person posting disappointment says why he's disappointed, why should a stream of posts praising the game be more welcome than those disappointed with it?
Old March 10, 2003, 23:46   #29
vee4473
King

oh, and by the way, i like reading the posts about those who are truly enjoying the game and are addicted!

I didn't want to spend $100 on 2 games in such a short time frame, galciv and moo3, so my choice is to wait for galciv, but hearing about how many of you guys like it is making me want to go back on that decision and buy both...

argh
Old March 11, 2003, 00:01   #30
Tuberski

I know when PTW came out, they had to limit the number of love/hate threads because EVERYBODY was starting their own thread and flooding the forum.

They should do that here, for both love and hate threads.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Tuberski is offline   Reply With Quote