The real question is:
Do you think Bush should be reelected?
Old March 7, 2003, 12:51   #2
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 21:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The president of the US doesn't need to be the smartest guy... he needs to be a good figurehead, and surround himself with smart people.

Bush is a very poor public speaker... and thus fails in a very significant portion of his primary responsibility.

He's also a bit off the reservation when talking about personal faith... although I know some people like that crap... it just doesn't jive.

I personally believe that we are right to go to war with Iraq, but its sheer coincidence that Bush holds the same belief. Bush's decision making capacity feels a bit too close to "decision by Ouija board" for my liking.

MrBaggins
Old March 7, 2003, 12:54   #3
carnide_
Prince

Interesting vue.
But is Bush what the US deserves, or the US deserves best than Bush?
Old March 7, 2003, 12:57   #4
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Clearly the best figurehead SHOULD win.

'Deserve' has nothing to do with it.

Being that we don't know who the alternatives will be... the question is basically impossible to answer now.

MrBaggins
Old March 7, 2003, 12:57   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 17:10
I saw recently that poll data indicates that a Democract (ANY Democrat) would defeat Bush in an election now.

I'd rather have McCain, but he's not gonna run. I have yet to be able to vote in an election in which I actually voted FOR someone - both of my votes have been protest votes for small parties.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 7, 2003, 13:04   #6
carnide_
Prince

I must confess I have an uneasy feeling regarding the Bush administration.
After all, where did all that Anthrax come from? Iraq? Or from the US itself?
The timing with 9/11 was perfect. But no link was ever found.
Something fishy!!
Old March 7, 2003, 13:08   #7
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 14:10
I think he has terrible vision for the country. he simply wants to endure his presidency...heres what i posted in another thread.

Now ive been trying to find any optimism in president bushes speeches and policy decisions and i can not find a god damn thing. Nothing bush has made me optimistic towards the future and help inspire hope in this nation.

Hes basicly got me in this malaise(?) where its just like everything is wrong. domesticly he hasnt helped anything get better and hasnt helped raise the hopes of people. He doesnt seem to be the leader and uniter he claimed to be.

On the foriegn end of things impending war isnt something to look forward to. He hasnt made me feel any safer or more optimistic about what we were doing as a nation in the world. middle east peace, flushed down the toilet. north korea, flushed down the toilet.

Now this will anger a lot of conservatives on the board, or it may get a rise out of them, but under clinton i was really hopeful for the future of the nation. he maintained a pretty centrist policy which i agreed with and all his failings as a president were personal.

Now theres a bunch of people out there who spend their entire day listening to michael savage and are conviced clinton was the devil incarnate himself, but are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?. are you as hopeful now as you were before? do you think under a more centrist president who put forth more optimism the nation would be in better condition?

bush makes me despair mightily
Old March 7, 2003, 13:08   #8
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Whilst the anthrax may have come from an independent group or individual within the US... or perhaps another nation, such as Iraq... I think its disingenuous to suggest that the US government themselves might have actually produced and sent the Anthrax themselves; I can understand them wanting to kill members of the Press or Postal Workers, but Congress aids? That stretches credulity
Old March 7, 2003, 13:09   #9
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

The Anthrax was almost certainly a home-grown problem. I doubt some sort of government conspiracy, though. Probably some ex-military crackpot.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 7, 2003, 13:10   #10
Arrian
Deity

I'm all for the killing of the Press and Congressional aides! The Postal workers, now that was just silly - they tend to do a pretty good job of wasting each other every few years.

Poor taste, I know, but I couldn't help it.

-Arrian

Old March 7, 2003, 13:11   #11
catullus
Warlord

Local Time: 22:10
Huh.
I didn't even know he got elected the first time. Didn't he lose by a margin not seen since Reagan's second victory?

(ducks)

C.
Old March 7, 2003, 13:22   #12
Arrian
Deity

Ha-hah-ha, catullus.

He won the election due to what I think is an outdated part of our political system that should be done away with. But he did win. Both sides acted atrociously whilst fighting over the result. I felt really ashamed of the whole thing.

-Arrian

Old March 7, 2003, 13:38   #13
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:10
Electoral college should be done away with. I'm not going to assert that Bush stole the election... doing so doesn't accomplish anything. But I think its funny that this happened in Florida, where Jeb Bush is governor. Coincidence?? Food for thought!

Anyways... it should be popular vote. The electoral college is very unDemocratic. It effectively erases the votes of people of the losing candidate in a particular state.
Old March 7, 2003, 13:42   #14
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
Electoral college should be done away with. I'm not going to assert that Bush stole the election... doing so doesn't accomplish anything. But I think its funny that this happened in Florida, where Jeb Bush is governor. Coincidence?? Food for thought!
It's hardly a coincidence, since Jeb and crew dropped 91,000 voters from the rolls before the election that should have been able to vote. And funny, they were all mostly black, poor Democrat voters...