Old September 16, 1999, 17:57   #1
compugasm
Warlord

Local Time: 05:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
SMAC 2 wish list
Perhaps there will be SMAC2? Lets tell em what we want so they can read this and put it in the next version of the game!!!

I love being able to make my own units. How about letting us choose colors for armor as well?
compugasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 1999, 17:37   #2
CraigG
Settler

A SCURK-like utility for SMAC would be interesting... perhaps SMACdraft (ala WarDraft, etc.) would allow MODs like they did in Civ2 (my personal fave was the one where you got to play as the Microbes... I forget the name).

P.S. Get rid of the Planet buster. It is WAY too powerful and has too many repercussions.
CraigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2007, 20:27   #3
.HUSH.
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Settler

3D imaging is a must i think. Spys as a unit on them selves would be great, that was the best thing ever about Civ2... Spy's could be droids or something...

more wepons too, as much as i love SMAC to bits, weapons arnt as abountant as the CIV games, lets take unit ideas from Civ2- Call to power, there is some stragne and wonderful ideas there
(never played as much, so i dont remeber names of units and so on)

~.HUSH.
Old November 16, 2007, 07:49   #4
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

CraigG- What is SCURK?

HUSH - As to weapons, it seems like there are lots to me: A1, A2, A4, A5, A6, A8, A10, A12, A13, A16, A20, A30. And then there is resonance, psi, and artillery added to the mix. There are also special abilities, reactors, and chassis, which can massively effect how a weapon operates. I haven't done the calc, but the number of variants will be something like: weapons*armor*chassis*reactors*abilities. I think you'll find it is a VERY big number. And then there are missiles, and don't forget PBs (and I don't mean peanut butter sandwiches!). If I had to guess I'd estimate there are at least 20,000 (!!!) variations, some more useful than others.

I don't have any idea how CtP works, so I may be completely missing the point.

Hydro
Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2007, 17:46   #5
Petek
lifer
Prince

Local Time: 22:16
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Hydro
CraigG- What is SCURK?

Hydro
I'll try to reply for CraigG (who last posted here, as you can see, in 1999 ) :

SCURK = SimCity Urban Renewal Kit

per this Wikipedia entry.

Petek
Old November 16, 2007, 18:31   #6
Hydro
King

HA! I didn't even notice - 1999!

It would be neat to be able to customize the city icons. Others have done this in their mods.

Hydro
Old November 17, 2007, 08:49   #7
.HUSH.
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Hydro
CraigG- What is SCURK?

HUSH - As to weapons, it seems like there are lots to me: A1, A2, A4, A5, A6, A8, A10, A12, A13, A16, A20, A30. And then there is resonance, psi, and artillery added to the mix. There are also special abilities, reactors, and chassis, which can massively effect how a weapon operates. I haven't done the calc, but the number of variants will be something like: weapons*armor*chassis*reactors*abilities. I think you'll find it is a VERY big number. And then there are missiles, and don't forget PBs (and I don't mean peanut butter sandwiches!). If I had to guess I'd estimate there are at least 20,000 (!!!) variations, some more useful than others.

I don't have any idea how CtP works, so I may be completely missing the point.

Hydro

So I see,never thought of it that way, i was just thinking about the weapons themselves without all the extras in between...
i'm just more or less want some things to change, some in a big way some not so big.
But what i would like to see is an updated look on some of the units, Supply crawler would look much better if the made it into a spider looking thing I dont have it done yet, but its in base mode. Basic 3D model look. My question to you, what do you want to see from all of this?
Old November 17, 2007, 11:49   #8
Hydro
King

HUSH - I really like the design workshop and consider it one of the more fun innovations of SMAC. Other games (such as Civ4) are more linear, and rather un-fun as far as this goes. You get what you get, so like it or lump it.

I'm not sure more weapons, chassis, abilities or reactors are needed. What might be needed is balance, and getting the AI to be competitive with regard to the Workshop. In my opinion, playability is the key reason why the Workshop is admired by not implemented in other games - it is simply too hard to get the AI go 'get it'. And players are VERY good at finding advantage, mini-maxing the game to the AI's detriment. A half dozen programmers have a hard time competing against thousands of players!

I will be disappointed if SMAC2 looks like Civ4. Don't get me wrong - Civ4 has it strengths. But in the end for all the eye candy it left me a bit cold. This may be because there was no hook that made me care and so it was only a game, or because it was so unstable on my PC and was therefore infuriating.

The bottom line is that if by some miracle we get SMAC2 that it should have the same or similar story, a rich background, and the TLC that Brian R obviously put into the game. I'll forgive many faults if a SMAC2 does this.

Hydro
Old January 9, 2008, 03:56   #9
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Hydro- as for modding the city images, networknode did that on his civ site. It's down now, I think- a casualty of time, but I bet someone saved some of his data on the waybackmachine.net.

I think I might have some of his files somewhere on my computer if you're really interested in finding it.
Old January 9, 2008, 10:03   #10
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:16
I have all Network Node factions. I can upload them to Apolyton SVN if you want. Then perhaps Apolyton could host them somewhere.

Edit: err I mean Apolyton FTP.

Last edited by Maniac; January 10, 2008 at 09:33.
Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2008, 18:45   #11
vyeh
ACDG3 Data AngelsAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
King

Local Time: 01:16
An AI that can use crawlers.
vyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2008, 01:33   #12
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

That would be a great idea if you have the time. Personally I never figured out how to use the Apoly Directory, but I know people are still using it.

I think he gave permission to upload his factions elsewhere, so there shouldn't be any problem with that.
Old January 10, 2008, 22:21   #13
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:16
Check PMs.
Old January 12, 2008, 03:42   #14
DarkCloud
staff

Thanks, checked and forwarded to DanQ. It'll be great if poly can get the factions back up on the net again- they were probably the best modding effort ever done for AC (as far as I know! )

~DC