Old March 8, 2003, 13:11   #1
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 17:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
FF scenario: a survey for interest
Hey, folks. No, you've never seen me here before; just signed up. Sorry if I'm breaking protocol or some such by posting so soon as a noob. Don't really know the rules here yet.
Anyway, since I go to a community college I have a ridiculous amount of time to kill, so I've started work on my Final Fantasy scenario. I've played the scenario based on FF6, but that had the normal units, etc. The one I'm working on has a full modpack, and it's just like a game of Civ2 using the FF universe(from 1-10, plus Tactics) as a palette. I've already done several unit pics with my (mediocre) graphic design talents, and I think it could be quite fun to play once I get the bloody thing finished(could be a while, I'm doing half the art from scratch).
The reason I'm posting is just to get a good feel for how much demand there would be for such a scenario, if any. I know there's a strong bias against console games in the computer-gaming community, and I don't want to waste my admittedly valueless time...
Thanks, everybody.
Old March 8, 2003, 14:57   #2
Cifer Almasy
Prince

Local Time: 21:16
Hey man!

You see my NAME??? I am a real Final Fantasy freak! And I would love to see a well made FF Scen!

I got a friend who made a FFVII map although he does not know much about Civ2 or scenario making! (So if you need it...)

But what I think is that if there is one part of FF which could be a good scen then it FFVIII (8)

It has much tribes and military - galbadia against Esther the Gardens - yeah thats so much stuff its unbelieveble!!!

I could help you finding ideas - although its a long while ago I played FFVIII!

I am looking forward to!
Old March 8, 2003, 15:35   #3
Elok
Emperor

Actually, like I said, this won't be based on any one FF...it's hard to stay true to such a complex storyline within the boundaries of the Civ2 engine. At least, I think it would be. How do you simulate the "time compression" from 8, for example?
Instead, I'm making something more like a modpack, so you can use Meteor, Ultima, Bahamut and the like for air superiority, build the "onion kids" from FF3j instead of settlers, explore the world with chocobos, use the FF1 Rat's Tail(Leonardo's Workshop) to auto-promote your troops to better classes...you get the idea. The protagonist kingdoms are called the Conerians, Mysidians and Returners, from the three early FF games(1, 4 and 6) that made it to America. Bad guys in general(monsters, the Empire, Galbadia, Shinra, whatever) are repped by barbarians. Barbarian cities generate Soldier, Dark Knight, Red Wings, and MagiTek Armor units; monsters are the result of uprisings and/or random events.
Basically an attempt to capture some of the spirit of the series within the confines of the Civilization engine. There are some difficulties, e.g. drawing Bahamut within the space limitations of the units file, but I've worked out most of the details.
Old March 8, 2003, 16:17   #4
JCG
Prince

Local Time: 16:16
A modpack like the one you're describing would be very interesting. And I'd agree that making a complete scenario from any of the FFs is a bit harder, as you'd run out of event space pretty quickly....Still, this idea sounds fun, looking forward to it.
Old March 9, 2003, 06:25   #5
Cifer Almasy
Prince

Sorry, I dont like Modpacks...
Old March 9, 2003, 14:24   #6
WarVoid
King

This sounds very interesting. I'm looking forward to playing it when it's released.
Old March 9, 2003, 14:35   #7
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 15:16
Did you know there was a very old FF modpack? It's FF2, and it's ancient, ( ie, over 5 years old ) going back to the early days of Civ2 and FF. It's available on Dustin Dunn's web site, here: http://dsquared.fiwh.com/civ2/ff2.php

www.tecumseh.150m.com
Old March 9, 2003, 15:47   #8
Elok
Emperor

It's not exactly a modpack....halfway in between a mod and a scenario proper. As in, there will be events and a set map. Or do you just not have FW? The standard Civ2 lineup is just utterly incapable of handling a world with the magic and characters of FF.
Anyway, so far I've done the graphics for the fighter, knight, mystic knight, thief, ultima, onion kid, warlock and meteor. Working on the chocobo. I'll probably just rip off the FW scenarios for icon graphics-they won't fit the feel, but I'm horrible at conveying meaning in that small of a space and 1.0 doesn't need to be perfect. I'm making some good progress and I want to get a product out to show for my efforts...
Old March 18, 2003, 18:20   #9
Elok
Emperor

Ah!
Whoops, I just now noticed Tecumseh's post!
Yeah, that modpack looks pretty neat; maybe I'll ask that guy if I can rip some of his rips, so to speak. All the rips I've tried to do look ugly, and no other terrain files from other scenarios resemble the cartoony edges of classic FF. Thanks a LOT for bringing it to my attention!
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old March 18, 2003, 20:10   #10
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 16:16
have you tried Favored Flight's scenario called Moria? a scenario like that might let you follow a detailed storyline
Old April 12, 2003, 07:50   #11
Elok
Emperor

In response to 2 requests...
BUMPBUMPBUMP!
I've never played Moria. I'll try it when Lent is over and I can use electronic entertainment again.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."