Old March 8, 2003, 16:07   #1
yeem
Settler

Local Time: 21:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Human Average
First, make the assumption that Human is an average race.

Second, make all the other race's picks just like the human picks on the customization screen (you know, average bioharvesting, mining and manufacturing, good research...and so on).

It is quite interesting that some races end up having waaaay more free pick at the end, and thus how much better a race is than another can almost be quantified (well, that is discounting racial hatred and other such hardwired traits).

Here is what you get when you make the races have the same picks as the Humans (anomalies I could not account for are in brackets behind the name):

Humans = 0 (duh)
Evon = +140
Psilon = +40
Meklar = +50 (can't become Investors so set as Monetarists)
Cynoid = +80
Sakkra = -10
Raas = +10
Grendarl = -50 (can't become Investors so set as Monetarists, can't have poor toughness so set as average)
Trilarian = +80
Nommo = +90
Imsaeis = +80
Eoladi = +80
Silicoid = -20 (can't un-choose Natural Engineers)
Klackon = -40 (can't become Liberty)
Tachidi = -40 (can't become Liberty)
Ithkul = +120 (can't become Representative so left as Absolutist, only cannot have senate seat, can't un-choose tolerant, can't un-choose Antaran Background)

Interesting?
Yeem

edit: I must be missing something. Why do the Evon appear so good? If I were going to customize a race I would probably pick them because they seem to have a plethora of already quite respectable picks. I know this can't possibly be the case and there must be something hardwired into them to offset the picks, but I haven't a clue what it is (or where to research such things).

Yeem

Last edited by yeem; March 8, 2003 at 17:52.
yeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2003, 21:16   #2
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 16:16
Many others have noticed this, ie why choose the humans when evon are far superior.

the devs have vaguely said the humans have some advantage

I think one difference is the Causus Belli for each civ and that the humans have either a higher or lower (whichever side is better)

also, look at the oppression meter rules for each civ. there is a file someplace that tells you more specific info-unrest levels etc. Not sure where that is, I am far away from my good computer and can't check it out for you now.

Yes, I think the humans need some help, somewhere
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 18:38   #3
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Just modify the Evon to be a better Human.

I've been complaining about this for weeks, btw...
Arnelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 19:03   #4
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

It has been speculated in a thread on the official forums that the humans have a larger number of technologies available to them then any of the other humanoids. But I forget which value and in which file this speculation came from. If true, the psilons surprisingly have much fewer techs then the others.

I'll see if I can dig it up on the forums.

Do It Ourselves
General Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 19:14   #5
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Not the same thread I was thinking of, but it says the same thing: http://www.ina-community.com/forums/...hreadid=273809

Also note that the Evon can't choose creativity.

Do It Ourselves
General Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 22:57   #6
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Read the thread...

Gotta agree with Alexfrog's latest post, though...

That Human advantage over the Evon is positively MINOR in comparison to the ENORMOUS Evon advantage in race picks...
Arnelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2003, 00:45   #7
Hokiemon
BtS Tri-League
Chieftain

I took each race and set everything to average/normal (2nd pick up from bottom), kept each race's default goverment, kept senate at random (except Ithkul), kept starting planet at abundant/heterogenous, and didn't select any specials unless they got them for free. Here's how many picks Joe Average gets from each race.

Human +50
Evon +180
Psilon +100
Meklar +110
Cynoid +160
Sakkra +70
Raas +90
Grendal +20
Trilarian +170
Nommo +180
Imsaeis +140
Eoladi +140
Silicoid +60
Klackon +20
Tachidi +10
Ithkul +190

The Insectoid species (sounds like the Sectoids from X-COM) seem to get the short end of the stick. Maybe that's to make up for having the Hive/Unification GOV. But the Humans do come in a distant third to the Evon and Psilons.
Hokiemon is offline   Reply With Quote