Old March 19, 2003, 03:26   #31
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 21:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think the problem most people had with Civ3 is that it wasn't Civ2.5. I played with each patch as it came, and now I can hardly remember what was wrong with the original release version.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2003, 04:05   #32
billybaruch1
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:17
That's good to hear about Civ3. I remember clearly what was wrong (or at least what I read was wrong). Is it still anything like Call to Power, where a sailing ship would defeat a modern battleship? How about the Culture aspect... cities revolting, etc.?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to GalCiv. The fact they are releasing a demo in April is a good sign. There's even a walkthrough in the online User's Manual.
billybaruch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2003, 05:15   #33
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

There's an on/off option for culture "flipping" as its called. This was introduced after many complaints. But yes, a spearman can still beat a tank - sometimes.

-Jam
Old March 19, 2003, 11:03   #34
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:17
Ya know, maybe it's just me, but I've never had a spearman beat a tank in Civ3...
Old March 19, 2003, 21:29   #35
Chronus
Prince

Quote:
Ya know, maybe it's just me, but I've never had a spearman beat a tank in Civ3...
Neither have I.

I keep hearing about this mythical event but I never see it. Makes me wonder if it's just a huge joke being played or some kind of urban legend.
Chronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2003, 21:35   #36
WarpStorm
King

I lost a tank to a spearman once (out of who knows how many normal results).
Old March 19, 2003, 22:44   #37
PriestOfDiscord
Chieftain

Hell, I've had it happen a few times. Only when playing against such a huge AI empire that they never bothered to gut their dead weight though. It's silly, but then so was pushing my damaged armored divisions deep towards the capitial without repairing or slowing down to send in defensive troops.
Old March 19, 2003, 23:07   #38
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:17
See, if it's a severely damaged armor vs. a healthy spearman, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable that the spearman could win once in a blue moon. After all, they could just crawl onto the tank, pry open the hatch and skewer the crew!
Old March 20, 2003, 03:30   #39
Jamski
Deity

Well its a simple probability operation. Attack of 24(?) versus defense of 2 means the spearman has a 12:1 chance of winning each round. With a normal tank against a normal spearman the spearman has a 1728:1 change of winning unhurt, and a much better chance (that I can't be bothered to calculate) of winning but losing 1 or 2 hitpoints. That's the problem of using a "random" combat model. The alternative - that the best unit always wins, is not much fun though, is it?

-Jam
Old March 20, 2003, 11:42   #40
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by War of Art
Well its a simple probability operation. Attack of 24(?) versus defense of 2 means the spearman has a 12:1 chance of winning each round. With a normal tank against a normal spearman the spearman has a 1728:1 change of winning unhurt, and a much better chance (that I can't be bothered to calculate) of winning but losing 1 or 2 hitpoints. That's the problem of using a "random" combat model. The alternative - that the best unit always wins, is not much fun though, is it?

-Jam
I lost a veteran tank down to one hitpoint against an elite spearman with full hit points once (and only once in over a year of playing). Guess the remaining tanks in that unti had holes and the enemy just chucked its spears in.
The Templar is offline   Reply With Quote