King

Local Time: 21:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I work at night and MOO during the day.

(Can I use MOO as a verb?)
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 05:42   #32
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Beats using it as a drinks coaster

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 05:51   #33
Vince278
King

That's what I do with all those annoying AOL disks I get in the mail (one is even hanging over the baby's crib). MOO3 will never suffer that fate.
Old March 10, 2003, 07:50   #34
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 23:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Vince278
What is being implied is clear enough. They're not worried about breaking something, they're worried about breaking other things.

I think someone else in the forums said it best: The engine is broken but don't worry, the rest of the car works fine.
Sure, they're worried about breaking other things. In a piece of software as complex as MOO3, changing one pice of the code may well have adverse effects on other parts of the program. This doesn't mean that the game is flawed, though. It merely means that with millions of lines of code, even small changes can have unpredictable results.

Asmodean
Old March 10, 2003, 08:54   #35
Ghostbear
Chieftain

I spent $50 for MOO3, how much griping does that entitle me too? Probably an infinite amount until I get another game to take the pain away.

The article doesn't jibe with the arrogance they showed during those months as the timeline slipped and slipped.

The point that annoys me the most is them whining that no one took charge of the design.

I think the only real hope for MOO 3 is if it could become another SE IV community. However, SE IV does have repeated patches, not just modding.

And, like with SE IV Gold, there has to be more chances for the developers to make some $$$$.

I would pay for MOO 3 Gold, if it were a major upgrade.
Ghostbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 10:05   #36
Ray K
Prince

Local Time: 16:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean

Sure, they're worried about breaking other things. In a piece of software as complex as MOO3, changing one pice of the code may well have adverse effects on other parts of the program. This doesn't mean that the game is flawed, though. It merely means that with millions of lines of code, even small changes can have unpredictable results.

Asmodean
= poor design.

They held the game back several months for QC, changed the AI at the last minute and then released that change without testing?

I have no problem with people who like MOO3 and defend it (different strokes...), but defending QS for releasing a game that they admit is flawed is just silly.
Old March 11, 2003, 15:28   #37
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean
Asmodean
That wouldn't be so bad if they showed some skill at Object Oriented Designing. I hope they at least flow-charted their processes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghostbear
The article doesn't jibe with the arrogance they showed during those months as the timeline slipped and slipped.

The point that annoys me the most is them whining that no one took charge of the design.
Amen!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray K

= poor design.

They held the game back several months for QC, changed the AI at the last minute and then released that change without testing?

I have no problem with people who like MOO3 and defend it (different strokes...), but defending QS for releasing a game that they admit is flawed is just silly.
Amen again!
Old March 11, 2003, 17:13   #38
vee4473
King

Local Time: 16:17
If small changes to code can have unpredictable results, why would any programmer make a change so close to release, knowing that he couldn't possibly know what adverse affects would be the reult?

Did they make the change and cross their fingers?
Old March 12, 2003, 09:40   #39
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 22:17
Personally I'd like the opportunity to play the version that people couldn't beat.
Old March 13, 2003, 00:58   #40
Vince278
King

I'd like to play the version that had lots more stars and screens.