Old March 9, 2003, 02:18   #1
Killazer
Warlord

Local Time: 21:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Please don't flame me ;)
I know this is an old question bit I forgot. Is it possible to have more than one Great Leader at the same time? Thanks

I'm in a big war now playing the Japs (couldnt resist not using those wonderful Samurai ) and I got 1 leader but I want to keep him unless you cant get more than 1 at the same time in which case I will use the leader since Its very probably id get another one soon.

Thanks again
Old March 9, 2003, 02:50   #2
trevor
Warlord

Local Time: 16:18
nope, only one at a time. Hope that helps.
Old March 9, 2003, 04:33   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:18
You can get more than one leader in one turn, so long as you use the first. I have had up to 6 in a single turn. I just run the leader some place and use him. Then go on fighting till I get the next one.
If you have a discover coming and want to have leader to rush it, then you need to hold him, but you will not get a leader while that one is around.
Old March 9, 2003, 09:07   #4
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

Flame flame flame!

On a more serious note, I agree with my learned colleagues. Generally though, (especially if it's your FIRST Great Leader) you have two or three uses already "primed" for him, and getting him "out of circulation" is no problem. I tend to get stuck when I get into Vmxa's situation, though- if you've already got the Forbidden Palace somewhere, all the wonders currently around are done, you don't need another army....

What do you do? Palace relocation? Rush an expensive improvement in a weak-production city? Charge the Great Leader straight at the opposing capital?
Old March 9, 2003, 12:13   #5
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 14:18
Re: Please don't flame me ;)
Quote:
Originally posted by Killazer
I know this is an old question bit I forgot. Is it possible to have more than one Great Leader at the same time? Thanks

I'm in a big war now playing the Japs (couldnt resist not using those wonderful Samurai ) and I got 1 leader but I want to keep him unless you cant get more than 1 at the same time in which case I will use the leader since Its very probably id get another one soon.

Thanks again
Don't worry, here at Apolyton people aren't in the habit of making newbies look foolish.
Old March 10, 2003, 11:32   #6
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 22:18
some are
Old March 10, 2003, 17:08   #7
jdd2007
NationStates
King

especially in the OT
Old March 10, 2003, 23:38   #8
Mad Bomber
King

In general the perfered way to go is to use the GL, you should be able to get another in a few turns anyway (esp if yuu have a good # of elites) The only reason I would hold onto the GL is if you are researching a tech that leads to a wonder.

Fred:

How could you NOT need another army?
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old March 11, 2003, 14:16   #9
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:18
I usually build the Forbidden Palace or relocate the regular Palace with my first leader, If I run out well, there's usually some big improvement in a crappy city that's just wating to be built

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old March 11, 2003, 17:07   #10
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 21:18
Re: Re: Please don't flame me ;)
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

Don't worry, here at Apolyton people aren't in the habit of making newbies look foolish.
Hmmmm, you haven't been here long or what? A lot of peeps here are...but not me. I remember when I was a noob, I got kicked more than once for asking some question like this one.

Spec.
Old March 11, 2003, 22:57   #11
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 18:18
Willem was being ironic, Spec.
Old March 12, 2003, 00:42   #12
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Re: Re: Re: Please don't flame me ;)
Quote:
Originally posted by Spectator

Hmmmm, you haven't been here long or what? A lot of peeps here are...but not me. I remember when I was a noob, I got kicked more than once for asking some question like this one.

Spec.
Trust me, no-one will get flamed in the Strategy forum no matter how newbie his question is. Unfortunately, I have not always seen the same sense of camaraderie en the general and PTW forums.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old March 12, 2003, 00:56   #13
Mad Bomber
King

Having initiated a flame or two (hey, they deserved it )

To prevent being flamed:

1) Dont lie, at least not in an outragous fashion

* If you claim to be able to beat diety without building a city or building all seven ancient wonders on diety expect someone to call you a cheat or liar (if you can a saved game is necessary to prove your claims)

2) No bragging or blustering

* People do not like that

3) Do not Spam or Troll

Follow these simple rules and you will rarely be flamed

No one should get flamed for asking a question, even a newbie one
Old March 12, 2003, 01:49   #14
Master Zen
Deity

Well, of course that kind of stuff deserves to be flamed but unfortunately I have seen flames from otherwise good posts.

Case in point: I think it was Fried-Psitalon's last thread was flamed by more than one person inspite of being well written and informative. Whether someone likes someone else's strategy or not or whether it is something he already knows is one thing, but sometimes comments can be rather offensive and frankly, those kind of people don't get much respect from me.

Old March 12, 2003, 04:12   #15
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007
especially in the OT
What would a newbie be doing in the OT?

"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old March 12, 2003, 06:39   #16
Mad Bomber
King

Master Zen:

If the thread you are refering to is A look at all the civs from a MP point of view then I would have to disagree. Sure there was some disagreement with Freds points, but flaming is more than debating pro's or con's of an argument. If you refer to another thread please reply with the title (or link) so that I may peruse it before commenting further.
Old March 12, 2003, 08:24   #17
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 23:18
I usually build an army with the first leader, then attack with the army so that after the win I can build the Heroic Epic, thus increasing my changes for other leaders.
--Woody Allen
Old March 12, 2003, 12:49   #18
Master Zen
Deity

Here's the "flamed" thread:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=77955

Old March 12, 2003, 15:08   #19
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
Willem was being ironic, Spec.
Actually, I was trying to make a point about there being no "newbie patrol" like there is over at CivFanatics. They get rather annoying over there at times IMO, especially one person who I won't mention here. His heart's in the right place, but he just comes across as a nag as far as I'm concerned.
Old March 12, 2003, 20:09   #20
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
... especially one person who I won't mention here....
Good ol' Zulu, bless his heart!
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old March 12, 2003, 20:11   #21
Mad Bomber
King

Just read the thread and with the exception of one poster it wasn't that bad, a moderate flame at best. The one poster seemed to be new to the forums, perhaps he/she hasn't met Ming the Merciless yet.
Old March 12, 2003, 20:48   #22
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe

Good ol' Zulu, bless his heart!
No, Zulu's the "wrong forum patrol".
Old March 12, 2003, 20:58   #23
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:

Touche' Willem!
Old March 12, 2003, 21:48   #24
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich

Touche' Willem!
At least he's tactful about it. I kind of get a kick out of that Uncle Sam type graphic he uses. Much better than always nagging people!
Old March 12, 2003, 22:07   #25
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I abhor such rudeness... and make it a personal practice to counter it when I can.

I like to think that our 'culture' is what makes Apolyton stand out in the Civ community.

F-P's posts have been excellent, to the point that I made it a mission to get him onto the 'poly ISDG team.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old March 12, 2003, 22:32   #26
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Quite right. I was (mistakenly) referring to his semi-rudely referring newbies to the Newbie Questions thread.
Old March 12, 2003, 23:42   #27
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
I abhor such rudeness... and make it a personal practice to counter it when I can.

I like to think that our 'culture' is what makes Apolyton stand out in the Civ community.

F-P's posts have been excellent, to the point that I made it a mission to get him onto the 'poly ISDG team.
Yep, a guy like him will certain make a big contribution to our team. Here's to Fried