Old March 3, 2001, 17:29   #1
George Garrett
Warlord

Local Time: 14:54
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Civ 2 Scenario Editor?
I've long enjoyed mucking about with the map editor which came with my Civ2
disk - now I've come across a reference to a "Civ 2 Scenario Editor" which intrigues me - does this come with the MPG disk, perhaps?
Old March 3, 2001, 18:22   #2
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 23:54
Sort of, but you can use the cheat menu in the game to create scenarios, in the later versions there is an editor menu (i think I only have original civ2 and MGE civ 2) in which you can change units stats, images, etc.
Most of those things are better of manually changed though in the units.gif rules.txt, etc
Each scenario gets a subdirectory in which it stores its own versions of the game files, thus youcan change most of the stuff in the game.
Old March 3, 2001, 20:06   #3
Roman
King

Local Time: 22:54
There is indeed a scenario editor in MGE. I never use it, however, as all the stats (and more) that can be altered there, can also be changed in the text files.
Old March 4, 2001, 15:12   #4
George Garrett
Warlord

Thank you. Henrik, Roman. I hadn't taken much notice of MPG cos I thought it was strictly for multiplay (which I've neither the talent, nor the time for), but I gather from studying various posts, that it also lends itself to single play? Talking of multiplay, I am curious about one aspect of it... since the participants (I presume) are all human, no AI to contend with, at what level is the game conducted? I imagine that the calibre of the players is high enough for them all to agree to go Diety - if that's possible in multiplay?
Old March 4, 2001, 15:36   #5
Roman
King

The multiplayer options in MGE are quite flexible. It is possible to play various types of games ranging from hotseat to LAN. Of course, not all participants in a multiplayer game have to be human - you can also have the AI control some civilizations. Most people therefore indeed play on Deity level.
The main addition that would appeal to the single player gamers in MGE is the vast array of new scenarios included with the game. Some are historical, such as Napoleon, Jihad, WWII in the Pacific, etc., some science fiction, some fantasy and some are really weird (dinosaur scenario, bacterial scenario, etc.). Of course all scenarios can be played both in multiplayer and single player.
Old March 5, 2001, 14:08   #6
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 18:54
Be warned: the AI in MGE is different (more hostile) than 2.42 or FW. People have expressed great frustration with certain scenarios under MGE; for example, if you play a WWII scenario as the USA, the English might demand tribute and declare war on you, even though they are your allies.
Old March 6, 2001, 01:43   #7
George Garrett
Warlord

Many thanks, Roman - I appreciate your time, and interest
Old March 6, 2001, 14:58   #8
George Garrett
Warlord

Thanks, DaveyV...I don't think I'm going to bother with MGE. I had a look at the blurbs on the disk's carton over the weekend (yes, MGE is still available here, in the stores, as is Civ2), and it doesn't seem to offer that much more than my 2.42, apart from the editing of scenarios, which I can do as Henrik suggests, by means of the cheats. My main interst is in
WW2, and having George 3rd (my grandad) KEEP the colonies!:-)
Old March 6, 2001, 18:44   #9
Roman
King

quote:

Originally posted by George Garrett on 03-06-2001 01:58 PM
My main interst is in
WW2, and having George 3rd (my grandad) KEEP the colonies!:-)

Well there is both the WW2 Pacific scenario and the War of American Independence scenario on the MGE CD, but as you said, it probably does not provide much more than the original Civ2 (which I don't have though, so I cannot really say).
Old March 6, 2001, 21:29   #10
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 15:54
George: Other than multiplayer, the biggest reason for most people to get MGE (or FW) is to play the scenarios created by others. Since you seem to like WWII, there's a large number of excellent ones out there, but almost all require FW or MGE. At least two of these (Red Front and Second Front) are so incredible you'll think you are playing a $50 off-the-shelf game. Equally compelling is that these scenarios are free, and most can be downloaded from the "Civilization Scenario Collection" hosted here at Apolyton.

From a scenario creator's perspective, the biggest improvement between Regular civ and the advanced versions is the addition of 11 extra unit slots. And we use 'em all, believe me!

Given the bargain-bin price for MGE, it's definitely worth considering.
Old March 7, 2001, 12:37   #11
George Garrett
Warlord

Roman, as a matter of fact there's a not-bad WW2 scenario on the original Civ2, which might appeal more to us Europeans, since it covers that theatre beginning in June 1940. However, this might be put in the shade by some of the scenarios that Krull refers to.

Krull, I'm impressed by, and thank you for the additional light that you throw on MGE,and even tho the price off the shelf here in Victoria, is likely to be around CAN$50, I think I'll take another look.

Old March 9, 2001, 01:37   #12
George Garrett
Warlord

Kull, in my previous post, I notice that I got your name wrong -my apologies!