Old March 14, 2003, 07:46   #31
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 23:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
BTW, great choice for April! A classic...

Carolus
Old March 14, 2003, 08:46   #32
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 16:21
--"when voting, other than your book vote only for books you haven't read yet."

That is what I've done.

The problem with going with the really big name titles is that they're the ones that have already been discussed endlessly online. It's just not quite as interesting as going over something you haven't read before, you know?

So far I've read all but three books on the list, and one of those I haven't read because I haven't liked any of the author's other work. One or two of the ones I have don't really seem like there'd be much discussion about them.

Come to that, Ender's Game isn't exactly the book most requiring literary analysis. Card makes a point of mentioning it in his introduction. Oh well.

Wraith
"Nothing, not even pleasure, can bind two humans as close as a long-enduring vendetta, for it forces upon each a constant awareness of the strengths and vulnerabilities of each other, and commits them to a common purpose which colors all other activities."
-- Hakur ("In Conquest Born")
Old March 14, 2003, 09:21   #33
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 17:21
Well, this is a new group and one thing I've noticed is when a new group is formed, the easily recognizable "classics" are always chosen among the first films. For example, when the movie group started, three of our first 5 films were "Citizen Kane", "The Godfather", and "Casablanca." Great movies, but c'mon! But lately we've done "lesser" films, such as "Election" and Disneys "Beauty and the Beast."

Point is, we will get the "classics" out of our system and move on to other things in time.

Like you, except for the first book (which I selected) I have not voted for books that I've previously read, and I think a couple of people are doing the same as well.

Perhaps one month I can make it so that we can only nominate authors who've been published novelists less than, say, 5 years. How's that sound?
Old March 14, 2003, 09:54   #34
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 15:21
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT

Point is, we will get the "classics" out of our system and move on to other things in time.

Like you, except for the first book (which I selected) I have not voted for books that I've previously read, and I think a couple of people are doing the same as well.

Perhaps one month I can make it so that we can only nominate authors who've been published novelists less than, say, 5 years. How's that sound?
I've read over a third of the nominations on this list, and they're all great books, as I'm sure the others are as well, so it's difficult to choose. I find the selections a little too diverse.

Perhaps the person whose nomination wins can establish a "theme" for the next round of nominations, such as "unsung masterpieces", "really hard sci-fi", or "best short story collections".

Then everybody picks a work that they feel best exemplifies this theme. To add some variety, the "theme" establisher can also pick who gets to decide the "theme" next time, say the second place finisher, last place, or whatever.

If this suggestion is too confusing, let me know, and I'll add a few more rules.
Old March 14, 2003, 15:04   #35
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

'Perhaps the person whose nomination wins can establish a "theme" for the next round of nominations, such as "unsung masterpieces", "really hard sci-fi", or "best short story collections". '

That's not a bad idea. Any discussion?
Old March 14, 2003, 15:26   #36
randomturn
Prince

Local Time: 21:21
WHAT? No Roger Zelazney? I nominate the original 5 volume Amber Chronicles, Lord of Light, and Roadmarks.

I would also add James Hogan's Code of the Lifemaker --one of the great treatises on skepticism ever written and a damn good story on its own right.
Old March 14, 2003, 15:39   #37
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

You are NOT nominating 7 books! Re-read the OP and reconsider.
Old March 14, 2003, 15:47   #38
randomturn
Prince

Amber Chronicles is basically one book. I mean, each one is like 86 pages long, and they don't make much sense individually. So that's my nominee. the other books are my nominees for the upcoming months. I'm just listing them now. or I retract them for the timebeing if that's better...
Old March 14, 2003, 16:02   #39
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by randomturn
Amber Chronicles is basically one book. I mean, each one is like 86 pages long, and they don't make much sense individually.
There is a collected edition, perhaps you can nominate that.

Although it is like 1000 pages.
Old March 14, 2003, 16:03   #40
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Yeah, I won't remember for the upcoming months... you think I'm keeping a list here?

So, "Amber Chronicles" it is.
Old March 14, 2003, 16:05   #41
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Static23

There is a collected edition, perhaps you can nominate that.

Although it is like 1000 pages.
And $16 if you buy it new on Amazon!

Is it even sci-fi?
Old March 14, 2003, 21:05   #42
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

--"Point is, we will get the "classics" out of our system and move on to other things in time. "

Yeah, but I'm an American. You can't expect me to be paitent, now, can you?

--"That's not a bad idea. Any discussion?"

Sounds like a good idea. At the least it'll keep the same books from popping up every time.
Still, I can't wait to see the flame wars over what qualifies as fitting a particular sub-genre...

--"Is it even sci-fi?"

No, they aren't. They're fantasy, and there isn't really any technological factor involved (that is, not even science fantasy). I do like Zelazny, but these books don't really qaulify for the group.

Wraith
"The more complex the language, the greater its capacity to influence the thoughts of men."
-- Harkur ("In Conquest Born")
Old March 14, 2003, 21:51   #43
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Lord of Light is a valid nomination though. Let's just pretend that's precisely what was nominated.
Old March 14, 2003, 23:12   #44
randomturn
Prince

I dunno, I'd have to say Amber is more sf than fantasy since it is fundamentally metaphysical and not fantastical. It anticipated chaos theory and complexity theory and alludes strongly to the scientific/philosophical debate on human free will versus determinism. It takes place in a quantum-mechanical infinite-universes multiverse. So while it may not be technological, it is deeply grounded in science theory. So I stick with this nomination: the original 5 volume set of the Amber Chronicles (and it's well short of 1000 pages).
Old March 15, 2003, 08:18   #45
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Please, link to a current edition of the 5-volume set. I can only find the 10-book set on Amazon.

Danke
Old March 15, 2003, 10:05   #46
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

--"Lord of Light is a valid nomination though."

That would work. Or Doorways in the Sand.

--"I'd have to say Amber is more sf than fantasy since it is fundamentally metaphysical and not fantastical."

What did I say about the genre flame wars?

In any case, I don't see it. For one, metaphysical is the same thing as fantasy to me. For another, I don't remember them getting all quantum about things, they pretty much just accepted that the shadow worlds existed and that they could manipulate them. It was definitely treated more as magic than technology (even extremely advanced technology).

In fact, the only real tech aspect I can recal is what Merlin was trying to put together in the second half of the series.

Wraith
"If a man understands the priorities of his fellows, he can lead them. If he fails in this, all the good intentions in the world won't buy him loyalty."
-- Harkur ("In Conquest Born")
Old March 15, 2003, 12:24   #47
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

I'll second Tuberski's nomination of "Armour" by Steakley: IMO it definately beat out Heinlen's "Starship Troopers" as well as Haldeman's "The Forever War" as far as combat sci-fi of this nature, and I really loved the ending.

D

-=Vel=-
Old March 15, 2003, 15:16   #48
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by randomturn
It anticipated chaos theory and complexity theory and alludes strongly to the scientific/philosophical debate on human free will versus determinism. It takes place in a quantum-mechanical infinite-universes multiverse. So while it may not be technological, it is deeply grounded in science theory.
While I am prepared to accept the Amber novels as a form of Sci-Fi Fantasy, in no way will I agree that it "anticipated chaos theory and complexity theory" or that it's "deeply grounded in science theory".

Zelazny is a fine and intelligent writer, but his primary sources are Joseph Campbell, and the bits of Jungian psychology that haven't been glossed over by the psyhological community in the last 75 years. IMO, this stuff more mysticism than metaphysics.
Old March 15, 2003, 15:56   #49
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

It is likely that the Amber books are of those novels that can be argued for both sides. So, the question now becomes 'how is the book sold'?

According to the publisher, the book(s) are a "fantasy" and are sold as such.

Another site confirms:
Quote:
It may be for this reason that RZ's sf was language-driven, irony-choked, corrosively playful, and -- after the early years of his career -- intermittent; and that he is now best known for his works of fantasy, in particular the 2 linked sequences making up the ongoing Amber series.
Therefore, the Amber books are not science fiction and thus aren't eligible for voting. But Lord of Light is science fiction and will be randomturns nominee, unless he states otherwise by Monday morning.

Last edited by JohnT; March 15, 2003 at 16:02.
Old March 15, 2003, 16:03   #50
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Amber is definetely not SF. There arent any scientific/technological aspects involved at all.

If we had a vote for fantasy books though, Amber would've been my first choice. It's way above all the LoTR crap.
*ducks*
Old March 15, 2003, 16:11   #51
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Any other nominations? I'm going to start the voting Monday morning (EST, -5GMT).
Old March 15, 2003, 19:48   #52
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

What's wrong with the 10-Book Volume?

There arent any scientific/technological aspects involved at all.

What about gunpowder?
Old March 16, 2003, 03:01   #53
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
They could be riding from world to world(I forgot the terminology) on starships instead of horses and it still would be fantasy.

It all boils down to the discussion couple months ago on what is sci-fi and what is not. As long as there is no scientific explanation, even as crappy as in Star Trek, it's not sci-fi.
My opinion of course.
Old March 16, 2003, 03:04   #54
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well, the publisher markets it as fantasy, and they should know, so... :shrugs:
Old March 16, 2003, 03:06   #55
GePap
Emperor

The Uplift War by David Brin; part of his first Uplift trilogy. Of course, it does mention other books, even if it is somewhat self-contained....

Well, perhaps Brightness Reef by Brin. Different set of dieas, but brin has some very interesting ones.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old March 16, 2003, 03:09   #56
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Which, GePap? Is Brightness Reef self-contained ala Uplift War?
Old March 16, 2003, 06:44   #57
Clear Skies
Prince

I dug out my copy of Empyrion - here's the blurb from the back of it.

Traveller, debt-dodger, itinerant critic and writer of history books nobody buys, Orion Treet is astounded to be invited to accompany top-secret mission: to observe and document an extraterrestrial colony on a newly-discovered planet.

But the paradise planet Treet and his companions are promised is a nightmare world locked in a spiral of hate, fear and death. The Earthlings' arrival rekindles an impossibly ancient feud - a deadly conflict between two highly evolved civilisations. It is a struggle for the future of a world, a battle where there can be no spectators and everyone must choose a side.

It's a great book, weaving science, sociology, politics, morality and many other strands into a cohesive whole. The characterisations, while sometimes bizarre, are very well moulded, and the two opposing socities are well fleshed out.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old March 16, 2003, 13:09   #58
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
Which, GePap? Is Brightness Reef self-contained ala Uplift War?
Sorry JohnT, but just after I got ofline I realized my mistake. NO, Brigthness Reef is not at all self-contained, unlike The Uplift War, but the book I was thinking of at the time was not even part of the whole Uplift universe by Brin's Glory Season, which is another thing all together.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old March 16, 2003, 17:36   #59
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well, unless otherwise notified, I will consider "The Uplift War" to be your nomination as it was the first book mentioned.

Also, I added your selection to my list on page 2 (I have 20-posts per page). We now have 17!

I start the voting thread tomorrow morning, meaning that no more nominations after that time.

So, if you haven't nominated,

Last edited by JohnT; March 16, 2003 at 17:41.
Old March 17, 2003, 09:27   #60
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

All right, this one is closed. Voting thread upcoming...