Old March 9, 2003, 21:48   #1
velkoris
Settler

Local Time: 21:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Shotgun Diplomacy ?
Has anyone been able to get any shotgun diplomacy to work ?

I.e. : In exchange for you giving me the planetary stock market tech, my fleet of 160 superdreadnoughts currently orbiting your homeworld will refrain from reducing your entire civilization to radioactive slag.

Given that no matter how overwhelming a position of strength I had any demands were ignored, I tried doing exchanges but these were also refused, even when I offered 3 level 30 techs for 1 level 10 tech.

Admittedly I was playing Ithkul at the time, but a racial hatred would have to be strong to an insanely irrational degree for a race to choose extermination rather than even a vestige of cooperation.

On the same basis what is with a tech 10 race with one mineral poor planet declaring war on me and attacking an immensely fortified system with a short range attack frigate ?!?!
velkoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2003, 22:50   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:21
I suspect that the Ithkul are esentially repulsive and can not demand or trade. I am not sure, but that is how they seem to treat me.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 05:54   #3
canamrock
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:21
Dealing with Ithkul is like making love with Hitler and Osama, in the minds of most Orion races. They are the lepers of MoO3... powerful lepers, perhaps, but still beneath most peoples' moral radars. Less than human, and so on.

BTW, the diplomacy and military AI are still in development, most likely, so expect the next few patches to whip them back into common sense (or some modicum thereof).
canamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 08:35   #4
bakalov
Prince

Local Time: 00:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Yeah sometimes you cannot deal with them no matter how hard you try ... This is what the spies are for ;-)

BTW in the encyclopaedia is written that the different races react differently to the emphasis of your suggestions. Some like to be threatened, and some will despise you for doing so ... I wonder if it is true? May be indeed it is .....
Old March 10, 2003, 16:35   #5
Corentor
Warlord

Local Time: 21:21
You must give them a tech that makes sense in a trade. THey won't hand over that level 10 tech if they can get themselves whatever you offer them. Check out their tech tree and find out what they are missing and trade appropriately.

Also try to trade for complementary items. If you want that Heavy missile chassis, offer them a warhead type they don't have.
Corentor is offline   Reply With Quote