Old March 10, 2003, 04:54   #1
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 15:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Europe-US Split ... Ramifications May Last For Years
Everyone:

I found the following story while scanning the raw news wires at work earlier tonight. Per my occasional custom, the story is posted in its entirety below; read through it and contribute to this thread as you see fit afterwards.

Quote:
Europe and U.S. face growing split far beyond Iraq

By BARRY RENFREW
Associated Press Writer

LONDON (AP) — Despite efforts on both sides of the Atlantic to limit the damage, the bitter dispute over Iraq has split Europe between countries that support America and those who see it as a global menace.

The division shows Europe’s inability to create a united, credible voice in world affairs and threatens the unity of the West and decades of close trans-Atlantic relations, politicians and experts say.

‘‘If the Americans and the Europeans don’t exercise great care in the next few weeks and months we’re going to be left with an absolute shambles,’’ said Francois Heilsbourg, an independent defense analyst based in London.

European governments also are worried about the damage the rift is causing to the institutions that have been the foundation of Western unity for decades — NATO, the European alliance with the United States, the United Nations and the European Union. So far, analysts say, nobody is saying how it can be fixed.

Britain, Spain and Italy support the United States, which has said Iraq’s time to give up its weapons of mass destruction is running out and is mobilizing for military action. The Bush administration has proposed a March 17 deadline for Saddam Hussein to disarm but said it could go to war without U.N. approval.

France, Russia and China — which along with Britain and the United States have veto power as permanent U.N. Security Council members — are leading opposition to the war.

‘‘This is a very important episode ... The unhappiness on the European side with the unilateralist, militarist, pre-emptive inclinations of this (U.S.) administration is pretty deep,’’ said analyst Michael Emerson of the Center for European Studies, a think tank in Brussels, Belgium.

American menace?

The unease is reflected among many ordinary Europeans, millions of whom have rallied to protest U.S. policy on Iraq. A European Union poll in March reported a majority of Europeans see America as a threat to peace — 46 percent to 32 percent in a survey of 16,074 people across the 15-nation bloc. The survey had a margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.

If the United States chooses increasingly to go its own way internationally rather than seek Western consensus, trans-Atlantic cooperation, vital to political and economic stability, could be badly damaged, analysts say.

NATO, torn by wrangling over its possible role in a war with Iraq, might never fully recover, analysts say. To have real credibility, members and opponents of a defense alliance must believe it will act if faced with a threat — something that is now in doubt, they say.

Many fear the United Nations also is looking weak with the United States, Britain and other allies determined to act without its approval if necessary.

European unity non-existent

Disagreement on how to disarm Iraq has torn the EU down the middle, exposing deep divisions over whether it should be primarily a trade bloc or a global power with effective political and military muscle.

‘‘The time has come where we need a confrontation on what are our strategic needs’’ in Europe, said Ulrike Guerot, an analyst at the German Council on Foreign Relations in Berlin.

France, which has never accepted its loss of global power, has long wanted a united Europe that could present an equal front and be a counterweight to what it sees as an overly powerful United States.

Britain and others oppose what they see as a drive for a federal state in which national governments would answer to the EU as a whole, giving up control of their foreign and security policies.

Roiled waters for years to come

Looking ahead, analysts say Washington’s relations with those nations that have defied it over Iraq will be badly strained, possibly for years to come. Talk of massive U.S retaliation is played down, but trade and other areas, already under strain, could be badly hurt.

‘‘The problem is spilling over into the economic field and the United States has adopted a negative attitude toward what it considers to be old Europe and vice versa,’’ said Professor Pedro Videla of the University of Navarra in Spain.

The United States and the EU need each other and new ways to handle relations will have to be worked out, analysts say. But they add it may take years and the departure from office of some of the leaders who figure in the current dispute.

The last paragraph is accurate, IMHO. Schroeder, Chirac and Bush will have to go, and never be allowed back into power.

But all I can say right now with certainty is this: The only folks who will benefit from any long-term damage resulting from piss-poor political/economic/military relations among the nations of the West will be the enemies of the West.

Perhaps it's best for all nations concerned that a middle ground be found, and the sooner the better. I know — easier said than done, and I acknowledge that. I, for one, could settle for another three months or so of inspections if, in exchange, the backbiting between France and the United States would end. I doubt it will happen, though; U.S. troops are massed for an attack within days, maybe a week or two, and France is hellbent on showing the world that it can piss on Uncle Sam's foot and get away with it by not supporting any sort of deadline for Iraq.

No. War will happen, and the fractures among the Western nations — and the greatly weakened United Nations — will only serve the long-term interests of those who genuinely oppose the Western way of life (i.e. personal, political and economic freedoms at an individual level). The latest infighting among the UN Security Council members — both permanent and rotating — already reveals, I fear, the fact that the UN is really impotent when it comes to shove. It seems to have served its purpose during the Cold War, but now that era is gone, and the world is fracturing again into a multi-polar, "Great Power," landscape, it may very well go the way of the League of Nations. Which is a shame, really, because UN humanitarian programs are very useful, IMHO.

Which nations and/or groups benefit the most from Western in-fighting? That's the million-(insert currency of choice here) question, isn't it?

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old March 10, 2003, 05:06   #2
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 17:22
I think that any view of the situation which relegates the objections of many EU nations to the status of deliberate muleheadedness is facile and self-serving.

I don't claim that the US is only going to war to piss off the EU, and I don't know if you can make the claim that France, Germany and Russia are fighting it every step of the way simply to piss off the US...

This being said, why is it accepted that it is the Europans' duty to compromise for the sake of unity?

The leaders on all sides are too free with the insults, I agree, but there are some issues that cannot be papered over. In the minds of most Frenchmen, Germans, and even Italians, Spaniards and Britons, this war is unnecessary and a despicable waste of human life.

It is about time that other countries started actually voicing their peoples' objections instead of going to war time and again at the US' behest over the wishes of their voters.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old March 10, 2003, 05:08   #3
KrazyHorse
Deity

By the way, my objections are with your comments, Gatekeeper, not the article (which tries to take a look at the situation from both sides of the Atlantic)
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old March 10, 2003, 05:09   #4
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
But all I can say right now with certainty is this: The only folks who will benefit from any long-term damage resulting from piss-poor political/economic/military relations among the nations of the West will be the enemies of the West.
Exactly. This is what scares me the most about the current situation...

How did we all let an open and shut case like Iraq fracture the transatlantic relationship? Nothing good can come of this...
Old March 10, 2003, 05:11   #5
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
How did we all let an open and shut case like Iraq fracture the transatlantic relationship?
Come on, Drake. If this isn't irony, then I don't know what is...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old March 10, 2003, 05:15   #6
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 23:22
The spit started to show itself earlier, partly at least due to Mr. Bush isolationalist attititude, in forms of the Kyoto protcol, the international crimes tribunal and a number of other issues.

While many a european politician have feelt that the US have been troublesome and a roadblock when it comes to making international policy it's now the US's turn.
Old March 10, 2003, 05:21   #7
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 22:22
I don't think the split within the EU and even across the Atlantic is that deep for now. The European public and a large junk of the american public are thoroughly unconvinced if the need for this war. And even Blair, in contrast to Bush, does not want this war under all circumstances.

The outcome is pretty open. As for the EU, it has always developped along the lines of crisis and progress. From a cynic's point of view, a royal US ****up in Iraq will greatly promote the EU's common foreign and security policy.

The enemies of the West profit from this, for sure. but they have been profitting from the Bush administration since it came to power...
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old March 10, 2003, 05:23   #8
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

It seems to me that France, supported by Germany, are trying to boot strap themselves into the role of a great power.

I think they blew it, Europe is too fragile at the moment to confront the US as a global power. Maybe it isn't, but it does not seem to be holding together very well.

I agree with the spirit of the article that something new is afoot. The world we knew is fading. Maybe the new involves a united Europe that can prosper and project influence. Or maybe Europe will be split and sorley miss the unequivocal support the US once extended.

One thing I can say, Europe is in a much more perilous position geographically and demographically than the US ever will be.
Old March 10, 2003, 05:24   #9
KrazyHorse
Deity

"ever" is a long time, NYE...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old March 10, 2003, 05:27   #10
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Frogger
Quote:
How did we all let an open and shut case like Iraq fracture the transatlantic relationship?
That is exactly what the French and Germans have done.

They have picked an issue of extreme importance to the American administration and said, fvck you!

Relations are fractured. The break started in the German election, or maybe before. But they are well and truely busted now, I fear.
Old March 10, 2003, 05:29   #11
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
"ever" is a long time, NYE...
Well, I suppose continental drift could prove you correct. However, I believe I am correct, if we are not talking in geological ages.
Old March 10, 2003, 05:32   #12
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I fail to see the irony...
Old March 10, 2003, 05:32   #13
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
That is exactly what the French and Germans have done.

They have picked an issue of extreme importance to the American administration and said, fvck you!

Relations are fractured. The break started in the German election, or maybe before. But they are well and truely busted now, I fear.
This is another example of only being able to look at it from one side.

It's of extreme importance to the US admin?

Sure, seems to be.

But you then assume that they're saying "f*ck you" just for the hell of it, or to prove themselves. The Euros don't want war. Some of their leaders have stepped up and told the US that. I don't see why this split should be regarded as France and Germany's fault any more than the US'. They've both taken hardline positions and refused to compromise. They're both to blame for that.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old March 10, 2003, 05:34   #14
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
I fail to see the irony...
You call Iraq "an open and shut case". Most Europeans don't agree with you. You have failed to even acknowledge this as a possible reason for their reticence, while bemoaning the fact that you don't see eye-to-eye.

That's irony where I'm from...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old March 10, 2003, 05:38   #15
notyoueither
Deity

They don't have to fight. They don't have to send units.

They also do not need to stand in the way and throw a huge hissy fit over it..

It is the US taxpayer that is paying the bills to keep the lid on Saddam. Should they have to do that forever before they say, pfft... strike three, you're out?

And like it or not, the US administration links Saddam to their current crusade in the aftermath of 9/11. You may not see it. I may not see it, clearly. However, they see a link. It was a very large miscalculation on the part of the French and Germans to have got in front of that train. And it certainly is not something anyone who wanted to be considered an ally would do.
Old March 10, 2003, 05:41   #16
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
You call Iraq "an open and shut case". Most Europeans don't agree with you.
Most Europeans are wrong then. The case for military action in Iraq is about as clear-cut as you are ever going to find short of self-defense and far more justified than NATO's little adventure in Kosovo. I guess the French and Germans don't have a problem with US power when we're doing them a favor...

Quote:
while bemoaning the fact that you don't see eye-to-eye.
I'm not bemoaning the fact that we don't see eye-to-eye; I'm bemoaning the fact that Old Europe stabbed America in the back while we're trying to take out a piece of **** like Hussein.
Old March 10, 2003, 05:43   #17
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
They don't have to fight. They don't have to send units.

They also do not need to stand in the way and throw a huge hissy fit over it..

It is the US taxpayer that is paying the bills to keep the lid on Saddam. Should they have to do that forever before they say, pfft... strike three, you're out?

And like it or not, the US administration links Saddam to their current crusade in the aftermath of 9/11. You may not see it. I may not see it, clearly. However, they see a link. It was a very large miscalculation on the part of the French and Germans to have got in front of that train. And it certainly is not something anyone who wanted to be considered an ally would do.
The US asked for UN approval. The French, the Russians, the Germans and the Chinese all have seats on the UNSC. They all have to have something to say about it. That's their job. You're asking them to abstain or be silent just because the US wants something?

Not having an unnecessary war is incredibly important to the European public. By your logic, the US admin should keep its mouth shut and not go to war so as not to endanger the friendship.

The fact is that they see things differently. And they both have the right and the responsibility to play it as they see it, while at the same time trying to work towards a common goal. I've seen little to no movement on either side, so they're both to blame.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old March 10, 2003, 05:45   #18
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Quote:
You call Iraq "an open and shut case". Most Europeans don't agree with you.
Most Europeans are wrong then. The case for military action in Iraq is about as clear-cut as you are ever going to find short of self-defense and far more justified than NATO's little adventure in Kosovo. I guess the French and Germans don't have a problem with US power when we're doing them a favor...
"They're wrong and I'm right, so it's their fault we're having a fight".

Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old March 10, 2003, 05:49   #19
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Defend Europe all you want, Kitty. Anyone who's paying attention can see who screwed over who in this whole deal...

America compromised by going to the UN for approval. America compromised by giving the French their second resolution. America compromised by not going into Iraq after Blix's first report. What has France done to compromise with us? Good luck trying to find an example...
Old March 10, 2003, 05:51   #20
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 23:22
The use of the phrase "old Europe" is a sign of the infamous american hybris. Since the birth of the american nation there has been in their self image as the worlds last hope, a priore a little bit better than the "old world". Sometimes it's portrayed in biblical word, sometimes it's not. It has always been a obstruction to more objective analysis in the history of american international politics.
Old March 10, 2003, 05:53   #21
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:

The US asked for UN approval. The French, the Russians, the Germans and the Chinese all have seats on the UNSC. They all have to have something to say about it. That's their job. You're asking them to abstain or be silent just because the US wants something?

Not having an unnecessary war is incredibly important to the European public. By your logic, the US admin should keep its mouth shut and not go to war so as not to endanger the friendship.

The fact is that they see things differently. And they both have the right and the responsibility to play it as they see it, while at the same time trying to work towards a common goal. I've seen little to no movement on either side, so they're both to blame.
Sorry, but the hew and cry from day one of the Saddam debate from hither and yon was to go through the UN. Fine, Bush said on Powell's advice, let's give the UN a chance.

Bit him in the ass, it did. I doubt any US administration in the near or distant furture will forget the lesson.

Bottom line, the US is in a struggle with elements of the Muslim world. They will do various things in the next 5 to 10 or 20 years. I severely doubt they will submit another such issue to the UN. There goes whatever influence the French ever had a hope of having in events upcoming.
Old March 10, 2003, 05:59   #22
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
America compromised by going to the UN for approval. America compromised by giving the French their second resolution. America compromised by not going into Iraq after Blix's first report. What has France done to compromise with us? Good luck trying to find an example...
The US was legally required to get UN approval. The US is legally required to get a 2nd resolution. The US was legally required to not go to war after the first Blix report.

Compromise, my ass.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old March 10, 2003, 06:01   #23
notyoueither
Deity

How is that, HershOstropoler?

The US can do nothing without UN approval? Did they have approval for Vietnam? The Cuban Missile Crisis? Grenada? Panama?
Old March 10, 2003, 06:04   #24
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
The US was legally required to get UN approval. The US is legally required to get a 2nd resolution. The US was legally required to not go to war after the first Blix report.

Compromise, my ass.
Give me a break. You act as if the US has to follow international law, which should be obviously false to a person with your legal background.

The US doesn't have to get a UN resolution authorizing force, as Kosovo showed. If the US really wants to, they can justify an attack based on 1441, so a second resolution is not necessary. And America could've declared Iraq in material breach of 1441 anytime after Blix first reported non-compliance, legally paving the way for war.

America has been compromising its ass off to try and get international support, but that's all going to stop real damn soon. I hope Old Europe is ready to reap what it has sown...
Old March 10, 2003, 06:28   #25
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 16:22
This is just another silly anti-Europe/anti-USA thread. One side attacks the other and so on and so forth into acrimonious stalemate. The sooner we come to realize what we have in common is more important rather than what seperates us, the better. That goes for the rest of the world too.
Old March 10, 2003, 06:37   #26
HershOstropoler
Settler

NYE:

"The US can do nothing without UN approval?"

1. Can do and must not do can diverge.

2. Who said "nothing"?

Grenada - violation. Panama - IIRC there was a clause in the Canal Treaty. Vietnam - The south was attacked.

DT:

"You act as if the US has to follow international law"

Of course it has to. If US violations of international become even more blatant, you'll get a nice backlash.

"The US doesn't have to get a UN resolution authorizing force, as Kosovo showed."

A one time violation without a new opinio iuris is not sufficient for desuetudo.

"If the US really wants to, they can justify an attack based on 1441"

How so? Where does 1441 say "The US may attack Iraq at her plesaure" ?

"And America could've declared Iraq in material breach of 1441"

Not your business, the SC has to decide that.

Last edited by HershOstropoler; March 10, 2003 at 06:45.
Old March 10, 2003, 06:38   #27
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
This is just another silly anti-Europe/anti-USA thread. One side attacks the other and so on and so forth into acrimonious stalemate. The sooner we come to realize what we have in common is more important rather than what seperates us, the better. That goes for the rest of the world too.
Unfortunately that is not the hand that is being dealt, MS. Europe and the US seem determined to sail seperate courses.

Europe (or some of Europe) is upset that the US will not submit to multilateral arrangements such as courts and environment treaties. The US is upset that Europe (or some of Europe) is obstructing their foreign policy and war aims.

The view from Canada is not pleasant at all. It all seems to be going to hell. This thread is not about ant- anything though. It is about discussing the rift and its consequences.
Old March 10, 2003, 06:43   #28
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 16:22
You're right that there is a rift NYE, and it will get much larger before it will get smaller, at least, if things follow their present course. There is no hand that has been dealt, nothing is written in stone.
Old March 10, 2003, 06:46   #29
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler
NYE:

"The US can do nothing without UN approval?"

1. Can do and must not do can diverge.

2. Who said "nothing"? You're strawmanning again.

Grenada - violation. Panama - IIRC there was a clause in the Canal Treaty. Vietnam - The south was attacked.
I'll ignore the 'strawmanning'. I owe you one, at least.

Let me try it another way. What are the consequences for the US legally if they invade Iraq?

What were the consequences for the USSR when they invaded Afghanistan? North Vietnam when they invaded South Vietnam? Argentina when they invaded the Falklands, or the British when they took them back? Just about any country, with very few exceptions, when they invaded another? Legally, that is. There are no legal consequences. True?

For there to be consequences, there would have to be a UNSC resolution, true? I don't see the prospects of a condemnation of the US passing without veto as being very high. Do you?
Old March 10, 2003, 06:54   #30
HershOstropoler
Settler

"What are the consequences for the US legally if they invade Iraq?"

Without SC resolution? The war is an illegal war of aggression, then. Consequences: All UN members are entitled to take repressalia against the US, responsible US leaders are criminally liable in the Nuremberg/Tokyo tradition.

Of course enforcement of those consequences is highly unlikely. But there are legal consequences. And lack of enforcement does not necessarily render a law void.

The real consequences are the cost to the US' diplomatic standing in the world. In EU2 terms, it gets close to "hated throughout the world".