Old March 10, 2003, 10:44   #1
OmniDude
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Why oh why? (anti-anti rant)
...does so many people who are obviously put off by MOO3 and QS keep hanging around here, spewing bile all over the place?

I assume we have all had the unpleasant experience of buying a game, then taking it home all warm and exited at the prospect of losing ourselves completely for hours and hours in the latest in interactive virtual realities....only to find that the game in reality has the appeal of a carefully executed fart: Ahhh ---> ewww!

Obviously a lot of MOO1/2 fans have had this experience and there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a strong urge to vent the frustration associated with such a disappointment, even multiple times.....but every day for a fortnight+?

I am more than tempted to say: Get a ****ing life!

If life has not taught you by now to walk away from disappointments, this is an excellent opportunity to start learning.
Hanging around here, making sure that each and every individual who drops by this forum will forever remember your name as The Guy Who Really Hated MOO3, is useless for your resume, bad egotherapy, a complete waste of time and utterly pathetic way honing your rhetorical skills!

Reminds me of the occasional activist people with cardboard signs outside McDonalds: Yeah, yeah, they probably tell themselves that they perform a civil service by pointing their righteous fingers at various outrageous wrongdoings of McD, but in reality they are wasting their time and more often than not succeed only in attracting attention to their bitterness and personal choices in life rather than their cause.
But even they usually go home or find some other "worthy cause" after a day or two.....

I have bought dozens af games that have disappointed the **** out of me and made me swear that I'll never buy a game on release day again and failed miserably at keeping that promise. I was disappointed by Civ2, SMAC, Civ3 - even though I still come back to the latter two occasionally - and HATED Ascendancy, EotRS, Star Lords and a few more I can't remember right now.
The fact of the matter is probably that most of us

But I will NEVER sink to hanging around a fan forum for weeks after having abandoned the game, just to make sure everybody knows my stance. That's putting a sign on your head saying: " Look at me! This is what I like to do for fun!"

IMNSHO, life is too short for that ****!

PS:
Q:How many country singers does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Five. One to change it and four to sing about how good the old one was!
Catch my meaning?

-Mark Twain

Last edited by OmniDude; March 10, 2003 at 10:49.
OmniDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 10:59   #2
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 21:23
*Bravo-Bump*

Not that it was nesscessary, but I'm just showing my support. You're right, the MoO3-haters are starting to grate a bit.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 11:02   #3
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 23:23
Shouldn't this be just an anti-rant then, against all the rants of the dissapointed MOO fans....unless you count those rants as anit(-MOO3)-rants

btw, to all rants.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 11:15   #4
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 11:30   #5
jackshot
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:23
yes, why oh why doesn't a public forum just confirm everything I think without dissent?

So I apologize for thinking something other than how you feel and wanting to mention it. Feel better?
Old March 10, 2003, 11:44   #6
OmniDude
Chieftain

Oops, completing an unfinished sentence in the above:

The fact of the matter is probably that most of us have a blurry dream of The Ultimate Space TBS Game, that will end the above cycle - frustrating as it is - and install us permanently in a wonderful world of equal parts Star Trek, Star Wars and Starship Troopers, minus the kiddie stuff, plus the hardcore tech and strategy stuff. Sid Meier and Derek Smart with a 5 years, a billion dollars and the entire computer department of MIT in the back.

And then you wake up only to find that the cat wants out, your bladder is about to explode and it's about 12 degree Celcius in your apartment. That's how real life works but it doesn't stop me from dreaming, though.

-Mark Twain
Old March 10, 2003, 11:46   #7
MitchDev
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:23
Bulls-Eye Jackshot!

If you don't want to hear other's opinions Omni, disconnect from the internet IMMEDIATELY!!!!

There's alot of opinion out there, deal with it.

Besides, the folks who bought into the hype and bought the game genrally can't return it after it's been opened, so they have EVERY RIGHT to voice their opinion.

Try moving to Iraq, I hear only one opinion is allowed to voiced there...
MitchDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 11:51   #8
OmniDude
Chieftain

Also, I should probably add that I'm still struggling to grasp the game having played 25 turns of my first game and being just an inkling from absolutely clueless.

But should I end up finding that the game sucks, I'll toss it in the bin, curse the time I've spent trying to learn how to play it, go "BUGGER!" very loud and head on over to the GalCiv site to check out what they're up to.....

-Mark Twain
Old March 10, 2003, 12:02   #9
OmniDude
Chieftain

MitchDev (and jackshot), since you're not one of those I aim at, I suppose you want to defend your right to spend endless hours reading posts from the same people airing the same frustration over and over again?

I rest my case, noting that apparently it is actually possible to spend your time even more pathetically than the ones I was after in the first place.

Hmmm, wait a minute, why am I writing this response.......oh my God.....the dreaded boomerang argument.....I'm out

-Mark Twain
Old March 10, 2003, 13:43   #10
The Templar
Prince

Well, I hang around in this forum to learn tricks for the game and strategies. The forums have yielded the missle rack solution to the PD bug, and saved my sanity in that others have reported the same diplomacy irrationality I've experienced. If I feel like giving the occasional criticism or complement, that's just the way it goes.
The Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 14:07   #11
jackshot
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:23
Quote:
Originally posted by OmniDude
MitchDev (and jackshot), since you're not one of those I aim at, I suppose you want to defend your right to spend endless hours reading posts from the same people airing the same frustration over and over again?
Point is, it's not MY personal forum, it does a lot of things I wouldn't be totally in favor of.

It is what it is - ignore or join, those are the options.
Old March 10, 2003, 14:14   #12
Craterus
Settler

I stop by occasionally to see how things are going... maybe they have fixed something - maybe there was a post from Rantz telling us how he really needed 5 years to finish the game right...

Then there are the people that say, "I LOVE IT" over and over again... explaining how only smart people can play the game, you aren't trying hard enough, etc.

At that point - I get the urge to type an alternate viewpoint... does that urge come only from the bashing point in my brain - I don't think so... at least part of it comes from the "I hope someone doesn't buy the game based on that info I just read"

If only the COW lovers stay here - there will be no true discussion of the good and bad of MOO...

There is ALOT of bad - and it needs to be stated - perhaps even over and over again - until the developers put out the "plan to fix" list.

The over and over part comes from the nature of boards... people think if its not on the front page - no one will read it.

So we have two main party's the Yea's and the Nay's... between the two of them there will be useful info on the front page of the board.
Craterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 14:20   #13
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

If the people who spend all their time *****ing went into the modding forum insead and worked on tweaking and improving the game, I think we'd all be better off.

I don't understand why some people feel compelled to constantly ***** about the game and, apparently, devout hours of their day to doing this when they could be doing something else or, god forbid, actually doing something constructive about what they don't like in the game.

Do It Ourselves
General Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 16:09   #14
Pallidyne
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
If the people who spend all their time *****ing went into the modding forum insead and worked on tweaking and improving the game, I think we'd all be better off.

I don't understand why some people feel compelled to constantly ***** about the game and, apparently, devout hours of their day to doing this when they could be doing something else or, god forbid, actually doing something constructive about what they don't like in the game.
Honestly, I am all for modding... I am a fan of moddding, to make some improvements... but right now most of what I am seeing is Fixes via the mods.

It seems like it is the consumers responsibilty to fix the game/application!

I actually like MOO3. Not love--- Its an OK game. But for my money's worth, its the publishers and devs responsibility to fix some of the inconsistencies and definite quality deficiencies.

I didn't buy a game SDK this time, I supposedly bought a whole GAME.

-P
Pallidyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 16:13   #15
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pallidyne

Honestly, I am all for modding... I am a fan of moddding, to make some improvements... but right now most of what I am seeing is Fixes via the mods.

It seems like it is the consumers responsibilty to fix the game/application!

I actually like MOO3. Not love--- Its an OK game. But for my money's worth, its the publishers and devs responsibility to fix some of the inconsistencies and definite quality deficiencies.

I didn't buy a game SDK this time, I supposedly bought a whole GAME.

-P
Yes, well, complaining about it isn't going to change anything. If you're going to post about it, you might aswell be constructive.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 10, 2003, 16:44   #16
Lazarous
Settler

Well, assuming that rantz wasn't lying when he said they were looking at board feedback as to what was wrong with the game...complaining DOES in fact do something constructive.

Laz
Lazarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 17:31   #17
MitchDev
Chieftain

Quote:

Yes, well, complaining about it isn't going to change anything. If you're going to post about it, you might aswell be constructive.
And kissing IG/QS butt 24/7 does even less constructive work.

They can't be allowed to get away with thinking they released a working, quality product, after all, they told us that's what all the delays were about...
MitchDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 18:11   #18
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarous
Well, assuming that rantz wasn't lying when he said they were looking at board feedback as to what was wrong with the game...complaining DOES in fact do something constructive.

Laz
constructive criticism does help. complaining that the game sucks does not. There has been much more of the latter and little of the former
H Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 18:51   #19
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower

constructive criticism does help. complaining that the game sucks does not. There has been much more of the latter and little of the former

Do It Ourselves
Old March 10, 2003, 19:09   #20
The Templar
Prince

Quote:

I thought MoO3 was a game, not a development platform.
The Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 22:50   #21
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:23
How could anyone have hated Ascendancy? It was a beautiful game. It's major flaw was the bad AI, which certainly was enough to make someone not like the game. But hate? I think, to date, it had the best atmosphere of any 4X game I've played.
Old March 10, 2003, 23:10   #22
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
How could anyone have hated Ascendancy? It was a beautiful game. It's major flaw was the bad AI, which certainly was enough to make someone not like the game. But hate? I think, to date, it had the best atmosphere of any 4X game I've played.
I've had the game for many years. But I have never finished a game of it.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Tuberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 23:14   #23
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 07:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
How could anyone hate civ 2?

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Alexander's Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2003, 02:05   #24
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:23
I love both Ascendancy and CivII. Yes Ascendancy had no AI, even with the Antag patch, but I had (have) a lot of fun and it had the first cool ship battle sound effects.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2003, 03:27   #25
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Acendancy had no AI, MoO2 had no AI, Civ2 had no AI, SMAC had no AI.... guess what? I like all these games.

Oh, MoO3 has no AI too, but this is nothing new in a 4X game!

The only TBS that I don't regularly beat (because the AI can't compete) is Civ3 on Diety, and then only because of the massive AI "cheats". This isn't a boast, lots of people experience this too.
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2003, 04:34   #26
vmxa1
Deity

Sounds about right, but in all fairness Ascendancy not only had no AI, it was brain dead.
Old March 11, 2003, 10:32   #27
mactbone
Prince

Well, MoO3 isn't the only forum here - it's one of several. Since I played the game and disliked it, I try and articulate what I disliked to see if it can get fixed, by the developement team. I refuse to waste time trying to mod when I have no experience with it and no desire to do so. Anyways, I stop by check a few threads - I even think I gave a good answer to a question - and see if anything's changed.
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
mactbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2003, 13:35   #28
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:23
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Sounds about right, but in all fairness Ascendancy not only had no AI, it was brain dead.
That's not entirely true. I can remember having to put up a fight against invading empires, especially the Minions (I think that was what they were called). Of course, I always played the lizard race with the research bonus. Of course, this was post-patch, and it still wasn't much of a challenge.

I always felt that if 3 things were fixed, Ascendancy would have been the top 4x game (for me) ever:

1. AI
2. Ship grouping (fleets needed!)
3. Waypoint setting (very annoying, especially in the late game, to have to move the ships from system to system every turn instead of setting a final destination and having it just go).

Some of the things I like most about it were the research tree, colony management, space combat (some gripe about it, but I thought it was more fun than in any other 4x game), and the ship support system.
Old March 12, 2003, 18:30   #29
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Maybe people want their $50 worth, and complaining will make up for the money they've lost.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Imran Siddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2003, 18:53   #30
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
That's not entirely true. I can remember having to put up a fight against invading empires, especially the Minions (I think that was what they were called). Of course, I always played the lizard race with the research bonus. Of course, this was post-patch, and it still wasn't much of a challenge.
You mean the Chamancies? I liked them as well. But really, you could go to their HW and find things like a Dig that was never used? Planets plastered with tubes?
Planets in the HW that were never colonized after hundreds of turns?
I really enjoyed the game anyway and still play it from time to time.