View Poll Results: Will Iraq (or the U.S.) set the oil wells ablaze?
yes 10 71.43%
No 4 28.57%
banana 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 10, 2003, 16:49   #1
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 14:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Will Iraq cause an ecological disaster?
Or if you believe the U.S. is the cause of all these problems. Will the U.S. cause an ecological disaster?

Some news sources say that the oil wells are rigged to blow. They say this would be much worse than the Kuwaiti situation 12 years ago.

Will it happen?
Old March 10, 2003, 16:56   #2
badman
Warlord

Local Time: 23:24
If America attacks, it's definitely going to happen.
I won't blame anyone for that but if I was getting conquered I also would try to leave no resources for my attacker (just like the Russians did in WWII).
Old March 10, 2003, 16:57   #3
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 21:24
Deffinately.

War generally is, anyways.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 10, 2003, 17:04   #4
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 17:24
Given what was done last time around, I think so, yeah. It's a little different since this would involve Saddam blowing up his own countries' oil wells instead of Kuwait's, but if he thinks he has nothing to lose, he might do it just out of spite.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 10, 2003, 17:28   #5
Edan
Warlord

He might also try to launch missiles at oil wells in neighboring countries.
Old March 10, 2003, 17:44   #6
Andrew1999
Warlord

Local Time: 15:24
I remember reading somewhere that if one supertanker is sunk in the right place in Hormuz, the whole Gulf will be shut off. Is it really that narrow or is this just some hyperbole? If Saddam really wants to ruin the Gulf oil industry, it might be worth a try.
Old March 10, 2003, 17:47   #7
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

hmm good question.

I was never top side when we passed through the straights of Hormuz. I'm not sure.
Old March 10, 2003, 17:52   #8
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Blowing up his own wells is a strong possibility but I con't think he would be targetting other countries oil WELLS. These would be incredibly small targets. What he might try to hit are the refineries and storage areas-- There could be quite a firestorm.
Old March 10, 2003, 17:55   #9
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I doubt he will do that. Remember he is playing a game and trying to look like the good guy. He has done this well over the past 12 years.

He can get away with blowing up his own wells. As that will be blamed on the U.S. anyways.

But if he went blowing up other's wells he would lose support he has in the middle east. He is pretty popular because he stands up against the U.S. He would lose that popularity.

Granted it doesn't mean as much if he is dead. But I think he will survive. And what happens to him afterwords depends on his popularity and sentiment against or for him.
Old March 10, 2003, 18:12   #10
VJ
King

Quote:
I remember reading somewhere that if one supertanker is sunk in the right place in Hormuz, the whole Gulf will be shut off. Is it really that narrow or is this just some hyperbole? If Saddam really wants to ruin the Gulf oil industry, it might be worth a try.
Evildoers don't care from our nature.

Quote:
I doubt he will do that. Remember he is playing a game and trying to look like the good guy. He has done this well over the past 12 years.

He can get away with blowing up his own wells. As that will be blamed on the U.S. anyways.

But if he went blowing up other's wells he would lose support he has in the middle east. He is pretty popular because he stands up against the U.S. He would lose that popularity.
I agree here.
Old March 10, 2003, 18:34   #11
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

It would be incredibly easy for Hussein to really destroy Iraq through sabotaging its oil wells.

First off, consider that Kuwait had about 1,000 wells total. I'm guessing that Iraq has about 10x that (WAG).

Secondly, Iraq's wells have very high gas pressure. Much higher than Kuwait's. This means that it would be much, much tougher to put out the fire on an Iraqi well. Even then, it would much easier to damage the oil fields.

Third, Iraq's wells are spread out more than Kuwait's wells. This means that the pace of putting out the fires would be slower.

Lastly, most of Iraq's wells would spew toxic substances. This would slow the operation down even more and would create more environmental damage.

In short, Hussein's name would blacken the history books forever, if he blew up his wells.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old March 10, 2003, 18:36   #12
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

He didn't just blow up the oil wells, you know. He also dumped reserves into the sea.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 10, 2003, 18:37   #13
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 16:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
Deffinately.

War generally is, anyways.
True. War is not enviroment friendly.
Old March 10, 2003, 18:44   #14
Andrew1999
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuomerehu

Evildoers don't care from our nature.
I didn't think he'd do it out of respect for the environment but out of efficiency. Why waste TNT blowing up wells one at a time when you can cripple 7 economies with one blow?

All this was brought on by an article a few years ago when Iran bought some submarines and antiship missiles and mounted them near the strait. If somehow naval access to the Gulf could be completely blocked that would be an incredible disaster. All the ships and troops there would be cut off too (I doubt we could supply the entire Allied Gulf force by air.)
Old March 10, 2003, 20:12   #15
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I think the chances of Saddam lighting his wells are about 50/50. I'm not going to pick one. I had heard they were wired. But the bombing campaign will first take out telecommunications so Saddam's ability to order their destruction will be obstructed.
Old March 10, 2003, 20:21   #16
GePap
Emperor

Saddam has claimed that we won't blow his oil wells up, with some people saying he is too preoccupied with his name in Arab histories, and lowing up his wells would make him look worse than what he may already look like. Now, if he has decided to blow them, i do not thin any amount of US bombing would stop them. All you have to do to ensure they blow is have trusdted people at the oilfields, their hands on the trigger, and tell them..war starts, blow them.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old March 10, 2003, 20:48   #17
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

GePap, that's why I think it's 50/50... I'm starting to lean more towards NO because I think even with loyal Saddamists, the oil well personel will probably surrender in the face of American ground troops. Saddam and his Republican Guard aren't martyrs. They don't want to sacrifice themselves, and I think they love life more than they hate tje American military. That's what seperates Osama and Saddam.
Old March 10, 2003, 23:29   #18
Edan
Warlord

Iraq Places Explosives at Oil Fields, U.S. Says