Old March 11, 2003, 01:36   #1
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 17:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
NHL: Flyers get Amonte!
Of course all the Canucks are either asleep or away, but Philly just pulled off this deal. "In exchange for Amonte, the Coyotes get left wing Guillaume Lefebvre, Philadelphia's second-round draft pick in the 2004 draft and Atlanta's third-round pick this season, which the Flyers got in a trade last season."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...nte_traded_ap/

Is Philly now the favorite in the East? Or do New Jersey, Ottawa, etc. have more than enough?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 11, 2003, 01:41   #2
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 15:26
I never liked Amonte...
Old March 11, 2003, 01:42   #3
Imran Siddiqui
staff

He was always a good player on a **** team. I wouldn't have minded if the Devs got him for a song and prayer, like Philly did.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old March 11, 2003, 01:42   #4
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 16:26
I have always liked Amonte, but I never liked the Flyers.
They are almost as bad as the Stars or the Avs in my books.
Old March 11, 2003, 01:46   #5
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 14:26
FLYERS!
Old March 11, 2003, 01:48   #6
cinch
Warlord

Hmmm... I can't really figure out if this will make an effective difference or not for the Flyers... It might. It has a better chance of doing so than, say, the Kapanen deal.

Do I think Philly will win the East? Nah. I think New Jersey, and possibly Toronto (though I HATE to admit it), will be the teams to beat.
Old March 11, 2003, 06:39   #7
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 05:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
He was always a good player on a **** team. I wouldn't have minded if the Devs got him for a song and prayer, like Philly did.

I know you Yanks are rich, but when did an $18 million contract become a song and a prayer. That's about how much money the Flyers will have to pay Amonte.
Old March 11, 2003, 07:41   #8
Stuie
King

The Flyers have a sorry habit of folding in the first round of the playoffs no matter what. I'm sure this year will be no different.
Old March 11, 2003, 08:39   #9
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Amonte hasn't been good for the past two years. The Hawks let go of him for a reason, and Phoenix found out why the Hawks let him go. He'll fit in nicely in Philly, though... as a third line winger. That's what Amonte is. Maybe being with Roenick again will spark him, but Amonte never had more than 30 some goals when he played with Roenick... and now he's really diminished in skills since then. I predict a first-round exit from the playoffs for Philly. With Amonte getting around 12-17 goals next year.

EDIT: Anyone want to buy an authentic Hawk's Amonte game jersey?
Old March 11, 2003, 14:54   #10
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
I know you Yanks are rich, but when did an $18 million contract become a song and a prayer.
Look at what Philly gave up. $18 mill isn't that much for a star of Amonte's stature.
Old March 11, 2003, 14:57   #11
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

He used to be *almost* as good as Pavel Bure.
Old March 11, 2003, 15:50   #12
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Flyers - the only hometown team I like

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old March 11, 2003, 16:32   #13
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

He plays as much defense and is as physical as Pavel Bure...
Old March 11, 2003, 16:46   #14
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 00:26
Pavel Bure, the greatest team player ever! Now that's the biggest joke ever.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old March 11, 2003, 18:44   #15
cinch
Warlord

Holy Trade Deadline!

The Leafs get Gilmour and Housley (Housley AND WESLEY? Now that's an experienced defensive pairing!)...

And the Oilers get... Radek Dvorak (um...), Raffi Torres (yay!), Brad Isbister (okay, good), and Cory Cross (okay). I'm... worried.

Also, Osgood goes to St. Louis... That's an interesting one. Improves their chances a bit, I'd say.
Old March 11, 2003, 19:18   #16
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by cinch
Also, Osgood goes to St. Louis... That's an interesting one. Improves their chances a bit, I'd say.
What a horrible day for Blues fans. V. Bure and Osgood. blah. Folks around this area aren't too happy...Osgood isn't going to get them past the big three, thats for sure. Burke, maybe. Osgood, nope.
Old March 11, 2003, 23:28   #17
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Don't discount Osgood. He is at his best in the playoffs, and at his best he is very, very good. The only problem is that St. Louis' likely first-round opponent is Colorado, the one team that Ozzie never had much success against. If the Avs pass Vancouver, though, it will be an interesting series. Previously, I thought the Canucks would beat the Blues in 4 or 5 games; but with Ozzie, it's a seven game series, a coinflip.

Flyers? Ppppttt. Big whoop. Good luck advancing out of the first round with Keith Primeau as captain. Even if they last long enough to meet Jersey or Toronto, they're in for an asswhoopin.

Toronto seems to have really broke the bank, going for it all this year--or bust. Much hinges on Crazy Eddie. If his mental stability cracks, the Leafs are in trouble. But if he holds it together, they are very, very dangerous, especially with experienced leaders like Gilmour and Housley.

I'm not thrilled with the Detroit trade--not too worked up over losing Avery and Kuznetsov, but I'm tired of seeing us give away draft picks. We seem to draft so well (see Datysuk and Zetterberg), it'd be nice to have twice as many promising youngsters as we already do. I'd also rather have gotten a more defensive-minded defensemen as opposed to Schneider, but really, what the hell do I know? Ken Holland has won three Cups doing risky stuff like this.

Colorado didn't really roll the dice this year, which may have been the biggest gamble of all...

Can not wait for the playoffs!
Old March 12, 2003, 00:03   #18
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Previously, I thought the Canucks would beat the Blues in 4 or 5 games; but with Ozzie, it's a seven game series, a coinflip.
I hope we don't get a Blues/Canucks matchup.

Anaheim sounds much better.

Brad May?

That's what you do when you are trying to save money.

We should start predictions,

round matchups/etc.
Old March 12, 2003, 00:42   #19
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer
Don't discount Osgood. He is at his best in the playoffs, and at his best he is very, very good. The only problem is that St. Louis' likely first-round opponent is Colorado, the one team that Ozzie never had much success against. If the Avs pass Vancouver, though, it will be an interesting series. Previously, I thought the Canucks would beat the Blues in 4 or 5 games; but with Ozzie, it's a seven game series, a coinflip.
I was a tad too critical of Osgood earlier, he is an upgrade over the six goalies featured this year for the Blues. And with Phoenix asking for Jackman and 3 1st round picks!!! Ozzie was the best available for the price. As I'm typing this, b. Johnson allowed two goals in maybe 15 seconds, so......help is needed.

I think the Blues can defeat Vancouver in the first round, in 6 games I would say. Of course, a lot of the Blues' future is dependent on Pronger's return. The question is: which round are we losing in this year? first or second?

Quote:
Flyers? Ppppttt. Big whoop. Good luck advancing out of the first round with Keith Primeau as captain. Even if they last long enough to meet Jersey or Toronto, they're in for an asswhoopin.

Toronto seems to have really broke the bank, going for it all this year--or bust. Much hinges on Crazy Eddie. If his mental stability cracks, the Leafs are in trouble. But if he holds it together, they are very, very dangerous, especially with experienced leaders like Gilmour and Housley.
I was hoping the Blues would get Gilmour (back, we've forgotton about that little incident with the baby sitter ) Hasn't Housely missed a bit of the season due to injury? the hawks have been so bad I haven't paid attention.

Quote:
I'm not thrilled with the Detroit trade--not too worked up over losing Avery and Kuznetsov, but I'm tired of seeing us give away draft picks. We seem to draft so well (see Datysuk and Zetterberg), it'd be nice to have twice as many promising youngsters as we already do. I'd also rather have gotten a more defensive-minded defensemen as opposed to Schneider, but really, what the hell do I know? Ken Holland has won three Cups doing risky stuff like this.
They did spend a lot, but they got a hell of a defenseman. But who knows where you will be in 2-3 years with the old timers retiring and lots of picks sold off.
Old March 12, 2003, 01:53   #20
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Isles traded Osgood?! For what reason have they decided to throw away any chance of going deep in the playoffs? Garth Snow is not a playoff goaltender, and DiPietro isn't ready yet!
Old March 12, 2003, 03:05   #21
Tingkai
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
I know you Yanks are rich, but when did an $18 million contract become a song and a prayer.
Look at what Philly gave up. $18 mill isn't that much for a star of Amonte's stature.
Amonte might be worth $18 mill. but I was just saying that 18 mill. ain't a song and a prayer, well, except for New York.
Old March 12, 2003, 03:08   #22
Tingkai
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
I was hoping the Blues would get Gilmour (back, we've forgotton about that little incident with the baby sitter ) Hasn't Housely missed a bit of the season due to injury? the hawks have been so bad I haven't paid attention.
Killer apparently vetoed going to St. Louis. Probably still hasn't forgiven the Blues for the way they treated him.

He wanted to be a Leaf again.

Housely is out with a foot injury, but he's supposed to be back before the end of the regular season. The main benefit he brings is his experience. He can keep the D's calm, cool and collected.
Old March 12, 2003, 03:17   #23
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
but I was just saying that 18 mill. ain't a song and a prayer
No, but what Philly gave up was.
Old March 12, 2003, 04:11   #24
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 00:26
Flyers shouldn't buy Amonte.. they should buy the HANSON BROTHERS! From Slap Shot.. with Paul Newman in it.. now those brothers can really play the game
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old March 12, 2003, 04:49   #25
Tingkai
Prince

The Amonte deal is minor and he's not going to change the puny Flyer offense.

The Osgoode deal is good for a laugh. The Blues have been suffering because their goalies keep getting injured so they trade for a goalie who is injured. That tells you how desperate they are.

Still, Osgoode's experience could make a difference, but not enough to overcome the Avs.

I can't figure out why the Oilers dumped Carter. He's a great player.

The Leafs come out the big winners in the trade deals and are now the favourite to win the East. They needed support for their young and inexperience defence and that's what they got. Wesley and Housely are veterans with Cup Final experience.

Adding Gilmour adds more character to the team and he's a proven playoff performer creating a third-line threat. He's also a fan favourite and deserves a chance to be with the Leafs when they win the Cup.

The Leaf offence is more powerful with Nolan already proving his effectiveness.

This is it boys. Hells freezing over and the Leafs are going to win the Cup.
Old March 12, 2003, 11:01   #26
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I'm also wondering what was going on with the Islanders and Oilers. Trading Osgood and Carter didn't make a whole lotta sense for either team. The Isles need a playoff goalie; up four points with three games in hand, there is little chance of the Rangers catching them for the last playoff spot. But the Oilers are in a much shakier position as far as getting into the playoffs; trading your number one scorer, a stand-up guy and team leader, while in a playoff race and especially if you'll need the firepower to win in the first round... I don't like that trade one little bit.

I wouldn't say the Leafs are going to win the Cup--I still think they would need a lot of luck to beat the Avs, Wings, or Stars in the Finals--but they are definitely the team to beat in the East. It'll be nice to see a Canadian team make it to the Finals for once.

EDIT: With that said, I also predicted that Toronto would play for the Cup last season; I also said, before the playoffs began, that we ought to drop the pathetic Hurricanes from the playoffs and invite the far-more-worthy Oilers in their stead. I then predicted that in the first round the Devils would beat the 'Canes in 4 games, "only because they can't do it in three."

So, apparently, what I don't know about the Eastern Conference could fill up all the empty space between George W. Bush's ears.

Last edited by Guynemer; March 12, 2003 at 11:11.
Old March 12, 2003, 11:48   #27
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 06:26
Yeah, the Leafs managed to get a great deal for not much.

Owen Nolan is without doubt the best player traded and the Leafs got him for basically an underacheiving roster player and a good prospect (not like they haven't got a lot more of those).

Calgary traded well and Philly are a joke.
Old March 12, 2003, 20:16   #28
Tingkai
Prince

Doug Gilmour is my kind of hockey player, someone who truely loves the game.

According to the Star, Gilmour has season tickets to the Leafs.

I read a story years ago, that Gilmour used to put on a ski mask and play street hockey just for fun.