Old March 11, 2003, 11:01   #31
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 16:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
All far more honorable solutions...
Old March 11, 2003, 11:05   #32
woke26
Civilization II Multiplayer
Settler

Local Time: 21:26
if you can spend 10 dollars a week to pay back, you might as well make a paying plan with the store where you buy it.
Old March 11, 2003, 11:11   #33
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 14:26
Im actually going to build it myself and since i dont have a credit card(only check) id have to save up the money or have the money upfront.

also consider this will be coming out of a food budget of 40-50 dollars a week.

would another possible solution be to use excess from my student loans? or is it better to leave that alone and not run that up?
Old March 11, 2003, 11:12   #34
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 15:26
Quote:
Originally posted by MRT144
will you be buying the kids expensive things when they reach their teenage years? would you really deprive happiness from your children?
To answer in order-- NO and I hope to raise my children to be happy without needing expensive things

and of course your initial plan is wrong, wrong wrong-- No merit -- no honor-- no responsibility

You have a decent computer now and if you want a new one, you are faced with an adult-type decision as to allocating your resources to get what you want

and shame on you for mentioning your dad's trip as justification-- he probably earned the money-- you can spend the money YOU earn as you wish
Old March 11, 2003, 11:17   #35
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

i dont have a very high opinion of my dad because he is cheap, and mismanaged my college money with bad speculitive stock purchases. He can do whatever he wants with the money he makes, but he shouldnt tell me he will help me financially with things and then take it back and yell at me "IM NOT MADE OF MONEY"
Old March 11, 2003, 11:25   #36
Ozz
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
1. you aren't being a little spoiled kid
Yes, He is.

2 computers? A Car? 3 squares a day and a roof over
yer head? and college paid for.

If i were yer dad, and i found you destroyed two computers to get a new one out of me. I'd throw you out into the street for a week of the "school of real life"

Nothing like going cold & hungry to take the spoiled selfish brat of you right quick.
Old March 11, 2003, 11:28   #37
Ozz
Chieftain

Quote:
i dont have a very high opinion of my dad because he is cheap, and mismanaged my college money with bad speculitive stock purchases.
Your College money? Did you earn it?
Old March 11, 2003, 11:30   #38
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 05:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
im going to school for music production and will be using my computer a lot for it. my 1ghz is already struggling with my current music setup which isnt even being used to half the maximum of what i would use it for.
Music production doesn't eat up CPU time at all.
Old March 11, 2003, 11:32   #39
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

2 computers, 1 of which i bought myself, the other which is from 1996 which he used extensively for Red alert. a car i bought myself. no meals a day unless i buy it.

a roof over my head? got me there. although my mom would love to have me live with her despite her financial difficulties.

i could live on the streets but why waste what my mom has and is doing for me?

and yes, i earned part of my college money.

UR, im actually doing a lot of virtual synth design and computer intensive music production.
Old March 11, 2003, 11:42   #40
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Stop whining!

Its obvious your parents help you out . . your mom bailed you out wrt your car and you are talking about taking a road trip while complaining about not having enough money for a computer

Grow up, skip the road trip and buy the computer with some credit or a purchase plan. This is real world-- don't expect someone to hand you something just because you want it
Old March 11, 2003, 11:43   #41
Urban Ranger
Deity

You don't need a road trip. In fact, you don't even need a car. If you sell your car, plus both of your computers, plus the money you saved from not having a road trip, you will have more than enough $ to buy a new computer.
Old March 11, 2003, 11:47   #42
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

thats the thing, my mom doesnt want me to sell the car because of what ive invested in it and what she has invested in it. Youre right, i dont need the car, and i would actually like to see the piece of crap go.

I feel like i cant do anything i want because everyone has a hand in my pie.
Old March 11, 2003, 11:47   #43
Ozz
Chieftain

Quote:
2 computers, 1 of which i bought myself, the other which is from 1996 which he used extensively for Red alert. a car i bought myself. no meals a day unless i buy it.

a roof over my head? got me there. although my mom would love to have me live with her despite her financial difficulties.

i could live on the streets but why waste what my mom has and is doing for me?

and yes, i earned part of my college money.

UR, im actually doing a lot of virtual synth design and computer intensive music production.
Then cut loose from both of them, Your mom can't afford you and yer dad you can take or leave as you please.

Sell the frickin' car and save a bundle of cash outflow, gut "your" computer and buy new parts with the car money. Go to College and don't ask eithier for a thing ever again.
Old March 11, 2003, 11:49   #44
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

i dont intend on asking them for anything ever again. i already feel guilty as hell when i do now. especially when i ask my dad for money for food
Old March 11, 2003, 11:52   #45
Flubber
Deity

Quote:
i dont intend on asking them for anything ever again. i already feel guilty as hell when i do now.
You don't seem guilty if you would even contemplate trashing two computers to get another one
Old March 11, 2003, 11:56   #46
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

my dad badgers me when i ask for money for food. FOOD! i feel bad because i feel like im in the wrong for asking him.
Old March 11, 2003, 11:57   #47
Urban Ranger
Deity

Why he doesn't go to the supermarket to get food regularly?
Old March 11, 2003, 12:01   #48
Stuie
King

Local Time: 17:26
When does school start again? Are we talking September? If so....

Get another job.

If the one you have only gives you 20 hours/week, then supplement it with a second income during the summer - landscaping, road work, fast food... anything. Come to think of it, get a food services job of some sort and that should also provide at least one meal a day, thus reducing your meal budget. Just make sure you put EVERY penny from the second job aside, and you'll have enough by the time late August rolls around.

Don't try cheesing your way into a computer.
Old March 11, 2003, 12:01   #49
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

because he cant cook and neither can his wife. he eats out all the time but unfortunately i work the night shift. and there are never any left overs.

he also just moved up to seattle and isnt living in the house any longer so what is in the fridge right now is some beer and some milk and some condements like mustard and soy sauce. im going out to buy 15 dollars worth of cheese bread salami and more milk for myself today. hopefully that will last more than a week until my next paycheck
Old March 11, 2003, 12:02   #50
Ozz
Chieftain

Quote:
i dont intend on asking them for anything ever again. i already feel guilty as hell when i do now.
Yer mom won't be sad that you sell the for car for
"college" (you do need a good computer for any
non artsy-fartsy course) , she'll be proud that yer
making the tough decisions.

If you seemed to get the "warm toasty feeling" from
some of the posts in this thread, some of us here sent
themselves thought college without anyones help, and
suffered pretty bad doing it, now it's takes every penny to send our kids though college so they don't NEVER have to go through that. Going hungry is one of the worse things you can ever experience.
Old March 11, 2003, 12:03   #51
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

actually stuie, im looking for another job in food service. i didnt much like my first job i ever had in food service because of the 12 hour days i worked, but the free food was good.

school starts in july, and im moving up there at the end of may.
Old March 11, 2003, 12:08   #52
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
im going out to buy 15 dollars worth of cheese bread salami and more milk for myself today. hopefully that will last more than a week until my next paycheck
Buy a big sack of rice. Rice is cheap and is quite filling. You can get a whole bag of chicken legs cheap. Make soup with the chicken legs and eat whatever meat you can find on them afterwards. You can also make bean curd (tofu) yourself, it's cheap and nutritious.

Also, some supermarkets sell bread etc. cheaply when it's near closing time. I remember going to them near midnight to pick up cheap bread.
Old March 11, 2003, 12:10   #53
DaShi
Emperor

How much is your Dad's life insurance policy?
Old March 11, 2003, 12:15   #54
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Ozz i understand that youve had to endure a lot of hardship and sacrifice things so your kids wont have to. i feel like thats what my parents should have done to help me but i only see one of my parents doing that.

i go hungry even without being in college. if anything college will be better because i can take out student loans and apply for grants(which will most likely be denied because my dad makes 6 figures) and hopefully room with a culinary student. i know what hunger is and i angers me when my dad just shrugs and says not his problem.

UR, i eat rice a lot but rice by itself or butter rice is just terrible day in day out. salami cheese and bread is somthing i can eat all the time and never get tired of, until i die of scurvy
Old March 11, 2003, 12:18   #55
Urban Ranger
Deity

You can mix rice with tofu, some vegetable, and the occasional slice of meat. That will be nutritious and filling. I used to eat that all the time.
Old March 11, 2003, 12:20   #56
pg
Prince

just upgrade one of your computers. you'll mostly be able to do so for under a few hundred dollars. you can probably re-use almost everything except mobo/cpu/ram.
Old March 11, 2003, 12:21   #57
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

maybe its cause im white that i dont know what to do with rice and tofu. i need a rice cooker because all the time that i make rice it turns to mush.
Old March 11, 2003, 13:03   #58
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

heres how i think im going to make this all work out. ill see if i can get a repayable loan with my dad and then also look into making sure excess from my student loans is directly deposited into my bank account. if need be ill open up a line of credit and use that to purchase off the remaining of the computer.
Old March 11, 2003, 13:41   #59
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
maybe its cause im white that i dont know what to do with rice and tofu. i need a rice cooker because all the time that i make rice it turns to mush.
One can learn, MRT144.

Some of these folks here might be likely to help you out.
Old March 11, 2003, 13:57   #60
Ozz
Chieftain

Quote:
i know what hunger is and i angers me when my dad just shrugs and says not his problem.
Sorry, Your in the same boat I was ## years ago,
(my dad was a doctor) Go get a job for 2 years and go to college as a mature student, (you can't live at home
for 2 years, maybe differient in US) it changes your status for loans and grants and your dads $ status has no effect. Don't put your savings in the bank during the
2 years, the college/goverment will see it there.
(hindsight is wonderful)

Oh, once you get clear of your dad your relationship will improve, when he wants someting you don't want to do
just shrug and say not my problem.